Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 09:05 AM

109 posts, read 239,310 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, don't know where to put this topic so mods move it if it's supposed to be somewhere else. But my question is, are there any posters here on CD who once believed in evolution then abandoned it?

I know as a kid growing up (I'm 24 btw) I believed in evolution 1000% because it was presented in textbooks. And as a kid, whatever is in a book you think must be true. The older I got and as I became an adult myself, I questioned more things that I had been told when I was younger and evolution was one. Now as a grown man, I don't see myself believing in that evolution shyt any more and it sounds borderline crazy now. I don't even see what makes it different from a religious belief in anymore. You have to buy in completely to what researchers say, and you have to listen to people who were born in your own time trying to tell you "facts" about what happened billion years of ago as if they were there watching it happen. But if you ask an evolutionist researcher what he ate for lunch yesterday he cant even remember that, but yet this same guy supposedly has the "answers" for my existence and billions of years of life and is never wrong? Absolute BS.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:14 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
" You have to buy in completely to what researchers say, and you have to listen to people who were born in your own time trying to tell you "facts" about what happened billion years of ago as if they were there watching it happen. "

No, you have to study science to understand what the researchers say. If you had, you would realize just how sound the science is behind evolution and the age of the earth, etc....

Old 11-10-2013, 09:27 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,907 times
I think you just don't have a good understanding of evolution. No, a lay-person can't usually have a complete understanding of genetics and evolutionary biology and has to trust the experts to a certain extent. I have a geography degree and a geology minor and I don't understand it that well because I don't know much about genetics and chemistry. But I understand the environmental processes that affect evolution, and the fossil record that contains MOUNTAINS of evidence, and I can assure you it's real.

What do you take issue with?

Old 11-10-2013, 10:11 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
But I understand the environmental processes that affect evolution, and the fossil record that contains MOUNTAINS of evidence, and I can assure you it's real.

What do you take issue with?
I used to have that mindset and I don't anymore. Cliamatologists had "mountains of evidence" too. I'm not even being argumentative, it's just that there a more mysteries in the universe than we'll ever fathom...just start pondering quantum mechanics for one.

I find it's more interesting to keep an open mind than to declare a particular argument "settled".

Last edited by Dockside; 11-10-2013 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 11-10-2013, 10:21 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsideTillIDie View Post
Hey guys, don't know where to put this topic so mods move it if it's supposed to be somewhere else. But my question is, are there any posters here on CD who once believed in evolution then abandoned it?

I know as a kid growing up (I'm 24 btw) I believed in evolution 1000% because it was presented in textbooks. And as a kid, whatever is in a book you think must be true. The older I got and as I became an adult myself, I questioned more things that I had been told when I was younger and evolution was one. Now as a grown man, I don't see myself believing in that evolution shyt any more and it sounds borderline crazy now. I don't even see what makes it different from a religious belief in anymore. You have to buy in completely to what researchers say, and you have to listen to people who were born in your own time trying to tell you "facts" about what happened billion years of ago as if they were there watching it happen. But if you ask an evolutionist researcher what he ate for lunch yesterday he cant even remember that, but yet this same guy supposedly has the "answers" for my existence and billions of years of life and is never wrong? Absolute BS.
So what do you believe now? That an airborne Superman spoke the world into existence?
And then poofed Adam and Eve into the Garden of Eden?

Last edited by weltschmerz; 11-10-2013 at 10:41 AM..

Old 11-10-2013, 10:21 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,245,042 times
Keeping an open mind is very good. Keeping it so open that your brain falls out is not.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:22 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Question - should nonbelievers in evolution be allowed to benefit from our understanding of evolution? For instance, should they be allowed to receive attenuated vaccines?

Old 11-10-2013, 10:33 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,323 times
Evolution is not a believe, religion is. Technically I guess it is,in the same way that i believe the store is down the road. But it is easy to find out if you look for yourself.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:46 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
So what do you believe now? That an airborne Superman spoke the world into existence?
And then poofed Adam and Eve into the Garden of Eden?
Yes, that makes so much more sense. In fact, snakes still speak, but they whisper so we have trouble hearing them.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:52 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Stopping believing in evolution is like stopping believing that there are oceans....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies