Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 01:45 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
ok, so close the ducts then and open the window?
Dude.... opening the window creates its own problems. Most asthmatics have to have central air for a reason. I get that your point, but I am saying there are legitimate reasons to ban smoking in multiple dwelling buildings. Truthfully, if I were a landlord I would so be supporting this ban - reduces wear-and-tear on the building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 01:48 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,836,753 times
wear and tear?

how exactly does a cigarette cause this?

Old 10-17-2012, 01:58 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
wear and tear?

how exactly does a cigarette cause this?
Take a picture off the wall of a smoker's home and you'll know. The tar from the cigarettes causes everything to be covered in a sticky yellow coating. Smoking and smoking materials cause over 18,000 fires in homes each year. Then there are the oops, I left my cigarette on the counter burn mark type damage. Clogged water pipes from people flushing cigarettes.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:00 AM

that may be true but don't you think it's a bit restrictive to ban smoking just because of this?

what if the resident is actually the owner anyway - surely they have the right to damage their own place.

and for a landlord, can't he just incorporate this into the rent anyway?

Old 10-17-2012, 05:27 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Property rights.
The rules and regs are up to the owner of the dwelling, not power crazed city pols.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:57 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,674 times
I predicted this years ago, as soon as the restaurant and bar thing happened. If I recall my exact words were "Just wait and see, pretty soon there will be no smoking outside, in your car, if you live in an apartment, anywhere except your own house (and only inside.)"

Amazing that something that is legal is pretty much illegal to actually do anywhere anymore.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:02 AM

so does this ban affect owners too?

can you not smoke inside you own private home, fully paid up?

This would kind of take the gloss off the phrase 'a man and his castle'

it really is Big Brother time!

Old 10-17-2012, 06:03 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I will oppose it if the "wave" ever hits my community.

For the record - my area is pretty liberal. I don't even read the local newspaper.

I grew up inhaling "secondhand smoke" - turned out fine - and do not smoke - and am always telling people who ask for a cigarette or a light that I don't smoke.

They seem "flabbergasted".

Oh, by the way - I am a conservative.

Good for you.

I grew up around second hand smoke, ended up with asthma and cancer. Cancer treatment gave me lung damage so being around smoke is not only more harmful as an aggregate, but intensely painful.

What this law does is gives reprieve to people who sign a 1 year lease only to find out the person next to them is a smoker and it leaches through the walls.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:08 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Good for you.

I grew up around second hand smoke, ended up with asthma and cancer. Cancer treatment gave me lung damage so being around smoke is not only more harmful as an aggregate, but intensely painful.

What this law does is gives reprieve to people who sign a 1 year lease only to find out the person next to them is a smoker and it leaches through the walls.
Oppurtunity knocks for savvy landlords,I see non smoking units for rent all the time.
Problem solved, no laws required and no property rights violated, a free market win.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:12 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Oppurtunity knocks for savvy landlords,I see non smoking units for rent all the time.
Problem solved, no laws required and no property rights violated, a free market win.
I live in an area where you can't get an apartment if you say that you're a smoker. It doesn't stop smoking on front porches, in front of your neighbor's windows, etc. And in the winter, it certainly doesn't stop people from smoking inside. Some management is great - others will not address the smoking in their property. I could care less about the damage in the apartment if the landlord doesn't care, but I do care about being able to breathe and the number of lung infections I get (because since chemo, every time I have been around prolonged secondhand smoke exposure, I have ended up in the ER with a lung infection).

And while people can just move, when you need to pay first, last, and security up front and might lose money because you break a lease due to the smokers, it's not always financially feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies