Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 12:22 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Funny this article from Canada says the average wait time for a surgery is 19 weeks, although I am sure the liberal Denver post in good old Denver Colorado knows more about Canadian health care then the Canadians do.
Surgery wait times longest in 18 years - Health - CBC News
There are waits for non urgent surgeries everywhere, even in the US, but the length of the wait will depend on which province you live in...

Here are the surgical wait times for elective surgical procedures in British Columbia.... Surgical Wait Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 12:56 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
I currently pay $3.47 per week.
How much does your employer pay?

What does your plan cover?

Old 10-19-2012, 05:17 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,209 times
Quote:
Canadians know their tax money pays for it. Very few Americans pay out of pocket. I dont know the exact figure but Im guessing under 10%
So Canadian healthcare is cheaper because Canadians are concerned about their healthcare bills because they're looking out for the financial well-being of the government, but Americans are unconcerned with their own financial well-being or the well-being of their insurance companies?

Do I have that right? Because that also makes no sense.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:25 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Why does it make no sense that when people pay for something they are more aware of abusing it then those who dont pay for it.

My nephew would think nothing of drinking out of the new milk gallon when there was an older one already open. Now that he pays for his own food he dosnt waste it as he did when he wasnt paying for it.

The guy drinking beer all night will suddenly switch to 35 yr old wild turkey when someone else buys a round.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:26 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
How much does your employer pay?

What does your plan cover?

$25 copay , wifes employer pays the rest. If I had to pay I would not have any. Yes many will say a $60k bill will wipe me out. Lets keep in mind I still have the $400 a month I have not payed for the last 30 yrs.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:52 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,209 times
Quote:
Why does it make no sense that when people pay for something they are more aware of abusing it then those who dont pay for it.
I get what you are trying to say. But Americans pay more for healthcare out of pocket than Canadians, and so, from your logic, they should be "more aware of abusing it" than Canadians, and therefore American healthcare should be cheaper than Canadian healthcare.

But yet Canadian healthcare is cheaper than American healthcare. So something's wrong with the logic.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:56 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
So please explain to me how single payer will be payed for and how that will improve my life.
See what I mean?

15 pages with 140 crap responses that didn't even address the topic.

All they do is rant incessantly that they have a "right" to something that never previously existed on Earth and that everyone else has one.

When I said the tax would have to be about 28%, I wasn't kidding.

And note that by 2025, you're going to have to pay 12% at least if people want Social Security. You can see how well they thought that through.

Having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting....

Mircea

Old 10-19-2012, 07:00 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times
We need Medicare for all. Freeing businesses and individuals from insurance companies would be a boost to the economy and would save more lives.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:38 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,878 times
Quote:
A simple question for those who support single payer.

How do you plan on paying for it?

End the wars? wars are not being paid for now, they are on the credit card. Ya cant put a program that is 10 times the cost and forever on the credit card.

Tax the rich? That would cover about a weeks worth.

So please explain to me how single payer will be payed for and how that will improve my life.
full on socialized medicine would only take up about 20% of the budget once we got the insurance companies and private hospitals out of the system. We currently spend about 24% of the budget on healthcare without a single payer system.
So the answer to your question is to get the no good- evil- Blood sucking- scumbag- parasite insurance companies out of the equation

Also, we currently spend about 25% of the budget on defense which is a huge waste of money. That number should be less than 10%. we could use that money to improve our infrastructure and education system.

We also need to start cracking down on people that abuse the welfare system in this country. If you're not a citizen or you're on drugs than you shouldn't have access to it. We need to get the welfare expenditure back under 10% of the budget.

These are major budget cuts that would ensure that we had the best single payer healthcare system in the world.
And for those that still wish to purchase private insurance and go to a private doctor at a private hospital …...............you're more than welcome to

Last edited by redfish1; 10-19-2012 at 07:49 PM..

Old 10-19-2012, 08:25 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
We need Medicare for all. Freeing businesses and individuals from insurance companies would be a boost to the economy and would save more lives.

100% agree^ but I Love Winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies