Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:46 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance999 View Post
Right. And when we go to a single payer it will be 100% more.

How do Dems who do not have jobs and 10 illegitimate kids pay their share?
Stormfront.org troll reported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 10:56 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
A simple question for those who support single payer.

How do you plan on paying for it?

End the wars? wars are not being paid for now, they are on the credit card. Ya cant put a program that is 10 times the cost and forever on the credit card.

Tax the rich? That would cover about a weeks worth.

So please explain to me how single payer will be payed for and how that will improve my life.
I am so glad you asked Now here is a link, so you can study and learn.
That way, you won't have to keep asking these "simple" questions.

Medicare for All: Home

NO COPAYS. WE ALL PAY INTO ONE POOL. Say Hello to a Medicare Tax.
Say Goodbye to For Profit Insurance Companies.
FREE EMPLOYERS FROM THIS DRUDGE.

The truth of the matter:
Without a single payer health care payment system in America,
we are doomed to have the most inefficient, expensive health care system in the world.
Not to mention, the morality of preventing citizens from contributing to the
GENERAL WELFARE by DENYING them the right of "breathing/health" AND PRODUCTIVITY.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:57 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,778 times
Great post!!! Common Sense Solutions!!! Can't argue with any of these suggestions.
Very important to keep Copays. Would add we need to improve preventative care.
A full physical and routine screening tests every other year can be very cost effective.

Our for profit healthcare system is not healthy, is not caring and is not a system!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Will never happen but
1) Create ~3 non profits that have specific mandates, not a govt agency. The CEO with the lowest overhead does get a million dollar bonus, the others dont.
2) Computerize paperwork. It is IDIOTIC that I have to do the same dern paper every year.
3) Tort reform with 2 tracks. Track 1 is 98% of mal practice. say $250K cap + "make it right" costs if any. Track 2 is for the awful cases that make the news. No limit but these cases are RARE. This is they guy where they amputate the wrong leg, you go in for a tonsilectomy and they do a penectomy... These generally will CALL THE DOCTORS LICENSE INTO QUESTION. I get it... gloves off for the crazy (and rare) stuff.
4) Payroll tax of about 5% EACH both employer and employee. Yes from dollar 1. Those that already give health insurance will see little difference.
5) Unless you are DIRT POOR. 3X minimum wage for a doc visit, 2X minimum wage for a prescription, 50X for an E Clinic visit, 300X for an operation. COPAYS AND DECUCTIBLES ARE IMPORTANT. Have a cold and dont like the copay? That is what CVS is for, you dont need a doctor unless you are very old or very young or very sick with something else.
6) MUCH higher use of PAs, NPs and clinics for stupid little things. Dont give me that doodoo that it takes a full doc to figure out an ear infection. PA is a masters level job paying say 70 to 100K a year, they will know when they are over their heads. heart pain? uh Im referring you the the ER!
7) 100% required participation.
8) Modest tax on saturated fat per gram. 3x tax for trans fat. (zero on unsaturated.)
9) Use hospice for end of life situations.
10) Streamline the ER.
11) The price is the price such as:
1 C section birth. $15,000 or whatever. (~2-3k paid by the person) this includes everyting for the normal 4 day stay. The on call obs, the TV, anesthesiologist, ER, 4 nights stay, the TV, All of the normal drugs.... If complications, I get it it will be higher but this covers the majority. This means streamlined networking. My son visited the ER IN A PRE APPROVED IN- NETWORK HOSPITAL, I got a separate bill from the doc who was magically out of network and had to pay $700 for a half hour work.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:58 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
All I am seeing time and again is people losing jobs.

Who's going to pay for their healthcare when they don't have a paycheck to be taxed?

Old 10-17-2012, 11:03 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

The truth of the matter:
we are doomed to have the most inefficient, expensive health care system in the world.
GENERAL WELFARE by DENYING them the right of "breathing/health" AND PRODUCTIVITY.

oh please

"""no copays"""...medicare is a 80/20 INSURANCE where you have to BUY suplemtntal private insurance

yes employers will love it

taxpayers (the middleclass) wont

Old 10-17-2012, 11:05 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh please

"""no copays"""...medicare is a 80/20 INSURANCE where you have to BUY suplemtntal private insurance

yes employers will love it

taxpayers (the middleclass) wont
I know what Medicare is now. I am talking about "new medicare" for everyone.
Not just those "over 65 or disabled".

They pay a co-pay to supposed insure they do not over utilize the system.
It really does not have anything to do with "actual cost effectiveness" of the Medicare program itself.

A single payer Medicare payroll tax would be MUCH cheaper to anyone working than a
for profit insurance policy premium. That can't even be disputed.

Middle Class workers would love Medicare for all.
Insurance Companies know that and so do the ones who pay off Congressional Reps.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:09 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
All I am seeing time and again is people losing jobs.

Who's going to pay for their healthcare when they don't have a paycheck to be taxed?
Employers would have less overhead, costs to build things would go down and jobs would come.

That's what happened in Canada:

Quote:
Canada has had a single-payer system for more than thirty years. (Australia, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Sweden and Taiwan also have one.) American executives who have run Canadian subsidiaries see it as a business boon. Take General Motors.

In 2003 its costs of building a midsize car in Canada were $1,400 less than building the identical car in the United States (the comparable figures for DaimlerChrysler and Ford were $1,300 and $1,200). Such savings are no mystery. Canadian companies pay far less in taxes for health coverage for everyone than the premiums they would pay under the US system to provide their employees with comparable benefits.
Effect of Single Payer on Businesses and the Economy – PNHP California - Single Payer Health Insurance

Old 10-17-2012, 11:09 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,778 times
Quote:

The truth of the matter:
Agree with most of your post (especially the bold, underlined), but see affordable copays and deductables as an important part of everyone having skin in the game and no one getting "free" healthcare. Would like to hear the arguement for "no copays".

Old 10-17-2012, 11:11 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
I know what Medicare is now. I am talking about "new medicare" for everyone.
Not just those "over 65 or disabled".

They pay a co-pay to supposed insure they do not over utilize the system.
It really does not have anything to do with "actual cost effectiveness" of the Medicare program itself.
the fact is that governmet paid care sucks

medicare pays so little that many doctors are opting out of it

not only does it pay so little that it doesnt cover the doctors overhead..but they have to wait months for the slow assed goverment to pay the freaking bill

anytime you have SOMEONE else paying the bill...it drives costs up...why...becuase it doesnt effect YOU

why do you think so many people are in credit trouble...becuase easy money .....charge it and forget it

you want to see costs come down to being semi affordable...get rid of ALL insurance..(private and government)

its your health, your body, your bill...pay your own darn bill, dont expect someone else to pay your way

Old 10-17-2012, 11:12 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Serious question:

1) $ paid Medicare (easy)
2) $ paid Medicaid and Schip (easy)
3) $ paid by employers for health insurance. (hard)
4) What percent of W2 line 1 gross wages payroll is spent on health insurance by a) small companies b) medium companies 3) big companies like Ford.

Beyond idiology if Ford spends 5% on health insurance then overnight it is changed to 5% more as employer portion of FICA, do they care?

The FICA tax also does not discriminate against full time employment like now. Implement it ILO the next minimum wage increase for low skill workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies