Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 04:18 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times

Advertisements

A simple question for those who support single payer.

How do you plan on paying for it?

End the wars? wars are not being paid for now, they are on the credit card. Ya cant put a program that is 10 times the cost and forever on the credit card.

Tax the rich? That would cover about a weeks worth.

So please explain to me how single payer will be payed for and how that will improve my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 04:51 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,586,879 times
Well a couple of things immediately come to mind:

1) Efficiency. My doctor in the U.S. had 4.5 admin staff just for him, my doctor in Canada shared 1 admin with 4 other doctors. Clearly if the admin costs are that much lower, the reimbursement could also be lower to reflect that, without affecting the doctor's net pay.

2) Profits. Right now built into the premiums charged for health insurance is a high profit and admin level cost for the insurer. With single payer, that is gone. Canada's system is not-for-profit; that fact alone probably reduces the costs by 20% off the top.

3) Medical Insurance. Currently some doctors run a battery of tests on patients for fear of being sued if they miss something. That is much less the case in Canada. Do what tests are needed and stop running expensive tests just to avoid a lawsuit. Focus on patient care, not the financial aspect of health care and savings should be had.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:52 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Well a couple of things immediately come to mind:

1) efficiency. My doctor in the U.S. had 4.5 admin staff just for him, my doctor in Canada shared

So your saying cutting jobs in healthcare is the answer?

Old 10-17-2012, 05:07 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post

End the wars? wars are not being paid for now, they are on the credit card. Ya cant put a program that is 10 times the cost and forever on the credit card.

Tax the rich? That would cover about a weeks worth.

So please explain to me how single payer will be payed for and how that will improve my life.
They don't plan on paying for it.

They want someone else to pay for it.

That magically makes it cheaper.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:46 AM

385 posts, read 615,011 times
No need to worry, we have QE Infinity to cover it.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:55 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
Canada has single payer health insurance and spends 45% less than the US does per capita on healthcare.

The question is not "how do we pay for it." The question, if we implement a good single-payer health insurance system like Candada has, is "what do we do with the extra money?"

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...%29_per_capita

Old 10-17-2012, 08:58 AM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
So your saying cutting jobs in healthcare is the answer?
Also, doctors will apparently be immune from malpractice lawsuits.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:01 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Taxes. Simple. Raise rates by some appropriate amount to cover the cost.

The tax increase doesn't even need to be enough to make up for the premiums people/employers pay now, since such an enormous amount of the money we spend on healthcare gets wasted on layers and layers and layers of insurance company and hospital bureaucracy, profits for private insurance companies, paying for people who abuse the emergency room, etc. Tort reform could play a part too, although in states where that's been tried, it's been completely ineffective at lowering costs.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I suggest an "all income from all sources" income tax with a 90th percentile deductable. They over all cost for health care (there would be no cost for insurance as none would be needed) would decrease with less private sector involvment.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-18-2012 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 10-17-2012, 09:03 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Your question, answered here: Physicians for National Health Program
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies