Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 07:55 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,672 times

Advertisements

[quote=malamute;26576746]He was specific here -- he's promising more jobs in housing construction so that the latinos will have jobs. Interview is in English. Obama is promising jobs for "latinos" but no mention of jobs for Americans or non-latinos.[/youtube]

Both Latinos AND non-Latinos work construction. Promising more jobs there promises jobs to Latinos and non-Latinos. But if a Latino was interested in what policies you have that will HELP Latino employment, it is entierly correct to cite the promise of more construction jobs as such a policy. Citing it as such a policy is NOT making the claim that the policy will ONLY impact Latinos. Inclusion of Latinos being helped by the policy does not mean exclusivity of ONLY Latinos being helped by the policy.

And by the way, Obama is fostering policies to not only enhance home construction, but also, as we heard in the debate, to enhance civil construction (roads and bridges, etc.) So to be clear, Obama HAS spoken of his plans/policies which will help Americans in general in reference to job creation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 08:16 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
I think you need a calendar. Bush left office at the end of 2008. The economy didn't start turning around until around March of 2010, well into Obama's administration, and after Obama policies began being implemented. Bush's policies were in place when the economy was LOSING 800,000 jobs per month at the beginning of 2009. When Bush took office we had a budget surplus and good economic growth. When Bush left, we had a historically high budget deficit and the 2nd worst recession in US history. So no, Bush's policies did not work, except to turn surplus to deficit and to turn economic growth to recession second only to the Great Depression.

Get thee to a calendar and some economic reports.
The recession was declared OVER June of 2009.
Report: Recession Over In June 2009 : NPR

There was NO BUDGET SURPLUS.

Bush's policies were in place when the economy was doing very well also.
revenues were increasing, the deficit and dent were going down. The unemploymnet rate was low through most of his tenure.

The housing bubble burst which changed everything. It could have burst under any admin.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:48 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
[quote=MantaRay;26576973]
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
He was specific here -- he's promising more jobs in housing construction so that the latinos will have jobs. Interview is in English. Obama is promising jobs for "latinos" but no mention of jobs for Americans or non-latinos.[/youtube]

Both Latinos AND non-Latinos work construction. Promising more jobs there promises jobs to Latinos and non-Latinos. But if a Latino was interested in what policies you have that will HELP Latino employment, it is entierly correct to cite the promise of more construction jobs as such a policy. Citing it as such a policy is NOT making the claim that the policy will ONLY impact Latinos. Inclusion of Latinos being helped by the policy does not mean exclusivity of ONLY Latinos being helped by the policy.

And by the way, Obama is fostering policies to not only enhance home construction, but also, as we heard in the debate, to enhance civil construction (roads and bridges, etc.) So to be clear, Obama HAS spoken of his plans/policies which will help Americans in general in reference to job creation.
Housing construction: If Americans lose jobs and can't afford to build, then that is useless.

Roads and Bridges: Yes, but increase taxes are proved to only pay for government for how many days? The rest we will have to borrow from China. Yes we do need to fix roads but after that how many more roads do we need or do you want to build more bridges to no-where?

If Obama gets his way, we will all be homebuilders (no because people will not be able to afford to build) and we will be road builders and then there are teachers. Anything else????

If there are more "true" job growth then there will be the above jobs and many other jobs. The previous poster is thinking only of himself.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:49 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The recession was declared OVER June of 2009.
That's all well and good. I never made any statements about when the recession was officially declared over. I HAVE made statements that Obama's policies being put into place was what MADE it over, what turned the ship, what has led to steady growth.

Quote:
There was NO BUDGET SURPLUS.
Yes there was a budget surplus when Bush came into office. And he turned the surplus into record deficits. It's all public knowledge.

Quote:
Bush's policies were in place when the economy was doing very well also. revenues were increasing, the deficit and dent were going down.
Bush got elected in 2000. His administration began in 2001. 9/11 happened in 2001 and the war in Afghanistan on the credit card shortly thereafter. The war in Iraq on the credit card wasn't far behind it. So from early on in the Bush years throughout his term, we were in SERIOUS deficit spending. Thus the deficit and debt were going UP under the bulk of Bush's time in office. And of course he ended his time in office with the 2nd worst recession in US history. It's all public knowledge.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:16 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
That's all well and good. I never made any statements about when the recession was officially declared over. I HAVE made statements that Obama's policies being put into place was what MADE it over, what turned the ship, what has led to steady growth.

Yes there was a budget surplus when Bush came into office. And he turned the surplus into record deficits. It's all public knowledge.

Bush got elected in 2000. His administration began in 2001. 9/11 happened in 2001 and the war in Afghanistan on the credit card shortly thereafter. The war in Iraq on the credit card wasn't far behind it. So from early on in the Bush years throughout his term, we were in SERIOUS deficit spending. Thus the deficit and debt were going UP under the bulk of Bush's time in office. And of course he ended his time in office with the 2nd worst recession in US history. It's all public knowledge.
"Yes there was a budget surplus when Bush came into office" WRONG

Read and learn!
"article demonstrates that far from a surplus, the government had to increase the national debt by $18 billion. How can you claim a surplus when you have to borrow more money?

Indeed, citizens that hear about the Clinton "surplus" but also know the national debt never went down may legitimately ask, "How can the national debt increase even when the government supposedly has a surplus?" This article will provide a detailed explanation of how Clinton claimed a surplus even when the government borrowed $18 billion more the same year.
The Myth of the Clinton Surplus, Part II

Old 10-19-2012, 07:02 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
[quote=MantaRay;26576973]
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
He was specific here -- he's promising more jobs in housing construction so that the latinos will have jobs. Interview is in English. Obama is promising jobs for "latinos" but no mention of jobs for Americans or non-latinos.[/youtube]

Both Latinos AND non-Latinos work construction. Promising more jobs there promises jobs to Latinos and non-Latinos.
If someone say's they intend to increase construction jobs, it is intended to benefit the Latino labor force first, and that's what he intimated. This means it was directed to Latinos. He was being interviewed on a Latino station. It's not calculus.

It's obviousl that you must work in the trades... right?

I lost my construction business of 35 years, due in part, to illegals keeping the labor rates pushed down. If you drive on to any construction site in Cali, you'll find a disproportionate number of Latino workers. There are only Latino landscapers and ground workers anymore. I know you want to make a logical and credible argument, and in your head, it added up; however, you couldn't be further from reality or the truth about what's happening in the trades.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:07 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Romney was questioned about specifics of his economic and tax plan last night. That is fair, he has never laid out the entire plan and deserves to be nailed for it. Why didn't Crowler in turn question Obama about his "plan". Is it any different than that of the last four years? The only thing we have heard is "tax the rich" and calls for class envy. Does Obama have anything more? (or Romney for that matter?)
A lot of people are going to cry Media Bias, but to be honest, from what I remember from the 2004 debates I felt the same way about Bush, not to indicate bias of my own. What I'm trying to say is, there is definitely an incumbent bias.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I have the impression, from your comments, that you didn't watch or listen to the debate last evening. You can probably find it on youtube. Then you'll learn that your comments are a bit odd, relative to what the facts are.
Why is it people expect Romney to lay out his plan to a tee, yet haven't questioned Obama's lack of a plan for four years? I don't get this double standard.

Obama was elected on three things:
1... Hope and Change
2... promises without substance
3... a hate for Bush and Republicans

Obama's record is more dismal than Bush's, and his plan is non-existent. He's "learning as he goes," and admits "he hasn't gotten it right yet, but he's working on it" and only needs four more years to perfect it. WTF?

He's nothing more than a glorified used car salesman. He took us all for a ride and the car broke down.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
A lot of people are going to cry Media Bias, but to be honest, from what I remember from the 2004 debates I felt the same way about Bush, not to indicate bias of my own. What I'm trying to say is, there is definitely an incumbent bias.
What? I remember the liberal media bias toward Gore. And I remember the liberal media trying to crush the swiftboat veterans.

C'mon man! Let's stay serious.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:23 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Romney was questioned about specifics of his economic and tax plan last night. That is fair, he has never laid out the entire plan and deserves to be nailed for it. Why didn't Crowler in turn question Obama about his "plan". Is it any different than that of the last four years? The only thing we have heard is "tax the rich" and calls for class envy. Does Obama have anything more? (or Romney for that matter?)
Has Obama EVER given a specific plan to do anything? Has the media ever done anything but promote him as the Second Coming?

No, and no. The only intelligent thing Obama has ever done is to keep quiet about his sincere intention to punish America and equalize Americans with the rest of the poverty-stricken, government-oppressed world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies