Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:09 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
If Romney is up 4 or 5 percent on election day, statistically it will be near impossible for Obama to win the electoral college, just based on the distribution of the voters across all states.
Lets say that 70% or more people in "red" states vote for Romney. The turn out is really high in "red" states.

Throws the "national" numbers way off. Which is why I never account for the national numbers, they are essentially useless.

I want to see the daily tracking numbers about next Monday. Then after the debate on Monday, see what the daily tracking numbers are in Iowa, Ohio, Colorado, and Wisconsin next Friday. Take a sample of 5 polls, throw out the highest and lowest, and that'll give you a real idea of about where the election is headed.

We'll know by about oct the 26th who has a good chance to win the election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 09:10 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,274,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Lets say that 70% or more people in "red" states vote for Romney. The turn out is really high in "red" states.

Throws the "national" numbers way off. Which is why I never account for the national numbers, they are essentially useless.

I want to see the daily tracking numbers about next Monday. Then after the debate on Monday, see what the daily tracking numbers are in Iowa, Ohio, Colorado, and Wisconsin next Friday. Take a sample of 5 polls, throw out the highest and lowest, and that'll give you a real idea of about where the election is headed.
Expect it to be higher to prove that "landing blows" in a debate is actually a turn-off to everyone but the candidate's base. At best, Obama might energize some libs to show up but turn off undecideds.

Precision is far more important than recall, when you boil it down.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Expect it to be higher to prove that "landing blows" in a debate is actually a turn-off to everyone but the candidate's base. At best, Obama might energize some libs to show up but turn off undecideds.

Precision is far more important than recall, when you boil it down.
Most people are comparing this to the 2004 election, which is a good one. Its about base turn out, because independents probably won't be voting in large numbers.

Like I said, about Oct 26th, look at 5 daily tracking polls in Ohio, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Colorado, throw out the highest, and lowest numbers, and average the other three. That'll give you an idea.

Barring a massive screw up by one of the two campaigns of course

Old 10-18-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Most people are comparing this to the 2004 election, which is a good one. Its about base turn out, because independents probably won't be voting in large numbers.

Like I said, about Oct 26th, look at 5 daily tracking polls in Ohio, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Colorado, throw out the highest, and lowest numbers, and average the other three. That'll give you an idea.

Barring a massive screw up by one of the two campaigns of course
Interesting because it seems to have a 1980 look to me, with Carter up 6 right before the election. Let's bookmark this and see the result so we can watch the other eat crow. I will ping you with a PM and bump this thread Nov. 6 either way.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:21 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,671,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
Released the day after the 2nd Debate:

Election 2012 Likely Voters Trial Heat: Obama vs. Romney

10/10-16/2012

Obama Romney
45% 51%
These polling companies just don't want to lose their professional reputations by faking those high Obama polls, when he loses in a landslide, so they are slowly correcting their previously fraudulent polls to show the truth.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Interesting because it seems to have a 1980 look to me, with Carter up 6 right before the election. Let's bookmark this and see the result so we can watch the other eat crow. I will ping you with a PM and bump this thread Nov. 6 either way.

Cool. Look, I don't know whats going to happen, I'm not a fortune teller. Romney is doing much better after the first debate, no doubt.

I know a lot of "liberals" are really excited after the last debate. One things for sure, things are better on a day to day basis then they were 4 years ago, losing what, 800,000 jobs a month or something? But the debt is nuts.

I"m a debt voter, which is why I can't vote for Romney or Obama, neither of their plans add up on the deficit for me. I'm voting third party or independent. I may even write in a name.

14,292 posts, read 9,671,650 times
Quote:
That's what they are trying not to duplicate, because a lot of polling agencies were left looking like partisan fools, with egg on their faces, when their polls skewed to a big Carter win, were shown to be completely worthless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
These polling companies just don't want to lose their professional reputations by faking those high Obama polls, when he loses in a landslide, so they are slowly correcting their previously fraudulent polls to show the truth.
Last week will be important as polling agencies' reputations are on the line. I think you're absolutely right, and if there is a Bradley effect, none of the pollsters will have realized it before the fact, so they need to be super accurate outside of that variable. These agencies are in essence competing with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies