Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 08:07 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,444,452 times

Advertisements

Nice to see our fellow man doing some good in the world eh ?

Daily Kos: Angry Republicans target soup kitchen where Paul Ryan staged photo-op

For those who don't want to read the article because it comes from the DailyKos let me just sum it up for you, After Paul ryan was done with this place and after the owner called him out on it. The owner Antal is now not only being harassed over the phone by angry Cons/republicans he's also being targeted on his FB page. Not only that but now his donors are withdrawing the money for the soup kitchen, which means unless he gets more donors in there's a good chance it will close up. Nice to know how the very "generous" right treats those in need ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 08:19 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,585,553 times
Default Conservatives attack soup kitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Nice to see our fellow man doing some good in the world eh ?

Daily Kos: Angry Republicans target soup kitchen where Paul Ryan staged photo-op

For those who don't want to read the article because it comes from the DailyKos let me just sum it up for you, After Paul ryan was done with this place and after the owner called him out on it. The owner Antal is now not only being harassed over the phone by angry Cons/republicans he's also being targeted on his FB page. Not only that but now his donors are withdrawing the money for the soup kitchen, which means unless he gets more donors in there's a good chance it will close up. Nice to know how the very "generous" right treats those in need ?

In other words, Ryan pulled it off.

Mission accomplished.

Romney/Ryan are all about the 1%. Poor folks needing a meal from a charity soup kitchen? Who needs 'em? Send the kid in to fake a "compassionate conservative" photo op, let events follow their natural course, and let the angry, fearful, willfully ignorant religious right "base" do the dirty work for them.

SOP for the GOP.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:20 AM

Ahhh guess I should have used the search function

Old 10-19-2012, 08:32 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
So let me get this straight. You are angry because Democrats do not contribute to charities or do charitable work. You are angry because Republicans, who do contribute to charities and do charitable works, no longer support this particular charity in light of the bad publicity Ryan got. A charity, I will remind you, that would not exist without Republican support.

Maybe some of you Democrats should step up and contribute, but I am certain that is asking too much. After all, Democrats only spend other people's money, never their own.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:39 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Liberals can't think that far ahead. The fact that the charity even existed because of republican support is too much for them to process.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
So let me get this straight. You are angry because Democrats do not contribute to charities or do charitable work. You are angry because Republicans, who do contribute to charities and do charitable works, no longer support this particular charity in light of the bad publicity Ryan got. A charity, I will remind you, that would not exist without Republican support.

Maybe some of you Democrats should step up and contribute, but I am certain that is asking too much. After all, Democrats only spend other people's money, never their own.

Stop deflecting nothing in the article or what I posted says anything about me being angry with democrats for not contributing. I'm saying why is it that those on the right who keep going on and on saying they care or are compassionate to those who are poor see fit to attack this guy who did no wrong at all. If anything Ryan was in the wrong in the first place for bringing politics to a soup kitchen. The owner said he did not want Ryan there doing a photo op because he did not want to turn away donors if they thought he endorsed a certain party/candidate. Ryan went to the soup kitchen did his photo op and took off not caring what might happen to this guy's soup kitchen once he left. And the fact that now he's being harassed by angry conservatives/republicans is just beyond shameful and should be put to an end.

And you probably did not even read a few posts up about the fact that democrats have actually been sending money to this guys organization to continue with the soup kitchen.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:46 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,287,348 times
Quote:

Read my comment above, and in the other thread. Liberals are stepping up because the butthurt conservatives are expressing their displeasure at the expense of people who can least afford it. Any drop in donations will seriously harm an organization like St. Vincent de Paul Society, and it's a crass person who will cease donating because of something like this. Many liberals DO donate and DO contribute in non-monetary ways (i.e. volunteering).

Old 10-19-2012, 08:47 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Since the area is HIGHLY Democratic, I'd like an example of a Repulican pulling their money.

Names please..

Old 10-19-2012, 08:49 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,316,377 times
Quote:

This is just plain bull. There are lots of ways to define 'charity' and Republicans don't define it the same way that Democrats do. For example: Republicans donating to Right to Life call that a charity while Democrats would call that a political donation. Aside from that aspect, none of the places that accept donations keep track of whether or not their donations (or volunteers) come from Republicans or Democrats nor does the IRA keep tabs of that. Any claims that Republicans do more giving and charity work is all based on self reporting and thus subject to the fudging factor and defining things like giving to church recruitment funds as a charity, which many others would not.

We have certainly become a mean-spirited society when people would put a soup kitchen's operation in peril over something as silly as this Ryan thing.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 10-19-2012 at 09:53 AM..

Old 10-19-2012, 08:50 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Read my comment above, and in the other thread. Liberals are stepping up because the butthurt conservatives are expressing their displeasure at the expense of people who can least afford it. Any drop in donations will seriously harm an organization like St. Vincent de Paul Society, and it's a crass person who will cease donating because of something like this. Many liberals DO donate and DO contribute in non-monetary ways (i.e. volunteering).
I not only live in the area in question, but I'm also canvasing the area for voter turnouts on behalf of the GOP.. GOP members are so rare, that we're driving from house to house, with 1-2 homes per street.

I call bull **** on the stoy.. People arent pulling support that previously were giving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies