Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:35 PM

490 posts, read 648,302 times

Advertisements

That things are better for me than anytime in my life? I'm 50, live in Dallas, and I feel like I have finally reached the stage in my life where I don't go to bed each night with money worries. Rich? Hell no! Comfortable and secure? Yes, I feel so. I've felt this way for maybe the last 3 years. No knock on Mr. Bush at all, but I was downsized twice in his 8 years. So when my Republican buddies ask how things are going they almost want to argue that I can't be doing OK. I make no bones that I plan to vote for Obama. Why shouldn't I? Things are fine for me and I have people say, "Four more years of Obama and you won't be". So why should I vote against him on what to me at this moment is a theory that 4 more years i'll be in ruins?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 07:39 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,121,141 times
I guess your friends values revolve around the allmighty buck and are jealous of you....

Sent from my Windows 8 laptop using Firefox 16

Old 10-17-2012, 07:56 PM

14,863 posts, read 8,145,493 times
The question is, did Obama have anything to do with your current state of well-being? I highly doubt it.

It seems like your viewpoint is simply coincidental. It would be like someone winning the lottery a month ago saying "Why should I vote against Obama, since I won the lottery while he was president?"

You should look beyond yourself, look at the people around you, see if they have had the same luck as yourself. And ask yourself if Obama or Romney has the experience, knowledge, and skills to make the country in general as content as yourself.

Ask yourself what kind of country you want to live in. Ask yourself if society is becoming more like you believe it should be, or if we are heading in the wrong direction.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 PM

29,944 posts, read 18,498,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsav View Post
That things are better for me than anytime in my life? I'm 50, live in Dallas, and I feel like I have finally reached the stage in my life where I don't go to bed each night with money worries. Rich? Hell no! Comfortable and secure? Yes, I feel so. I've felt this way for maybe the last 3 years. No knock on Mr. Bush at all, but I was downsized twice in his 8 years. So when my Republican buddies ask how things are going they almost want to argue that I can't be doing OK. I make no bones that I plan to vote for Obama. Why shouldn't I? Things are fine for me and I have people say, "Four more years of Obama and you won't be". So why should I vote against him on what to me at this moment is a theory that 4 more years i'll be in ruins?

I am a republican. I think it is great that you are doing well. I hope that all Americans do better financially than they are doing now.

Unfortunately, Obama is not the pathway to prosperity, but is part of the problem. A nation does not improve its wealth and prosperity through higher taxes, more regulations, and more litigation. In spite of your individual relative prosperity, the balance of the nation is suffering from the policies which Obama has instituted.

This is not a republican/democratic problem- it is one of fiscal policy and competence in leading the nation back to prosperity and reducing debt. Obama is clearly not the man for that job.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,278,583 times
Quote:

By the same 'logic' presumably you will vote to relect the conservative, religious-right Texas governor, who is anathema to Pres. Obama.

Fail.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:48 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,863,627 times
Quote:

Maybe because they aren't good friends.

Sent from my laptop computer using my keyboard.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:54 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,143,674 times
I know people who are doing better than they were 8 years ago. I don't no many that can indicate or show how it had anything to do with the current admin or its policies.
I know people in the gas industry. They left jobs that paid 12 an hour and make 18 an hour now. Of course the gas rush here in Pa started before Obama and company. Some folks have gas wells on their land. Big money. Not because of Obama and the EPA but in spite of.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:55 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,872,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Sent from my Windows 8 laptop using Firefox 16
lol

Old 10-17-2012, 08:56 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,904,407 times
Quote:

Good for you. I am doing better than under Bush as well. Went through two mergers under Bush where both companies downsized. Maybe you may want to consider expanding your friend base to include more liberals. Republicans these days seem to be always focusing on the negative.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:58 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,872,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I am a republican. I think it is great that you are doing well. I hope that all Americans do better financially than they are doing now.

Unfortunately, Obama is not the pathway to prosperity, but is part of the problem. A nation does not improve its wealth and prosperity through higher taxes, more regulations, and more litigation. In spite of your individual relative prosperity, the balance of the nation is suffering from the policies which Obama has instituted.

This is not a republican/democratic problem- it is one of fiscal policy and competence in leading the nation back to prosperity and reducing debt. Obama is clearly not the man for that job.
Finally, someone here can present a coherent argument without nonsensical attacks to either side. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies