Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How conscious are you at the pump today?
"I notice every increase" 47 54.02%
"I notice every increase, but it no longer effects me" 16 18.39%
"I no longer notice when gas prices fluctuate" 24 27.59%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 12:21 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,342,983 times

Advertisements

Anyone no matter what they use for transportation who is not conscious of gas prices is foolish, everything purchased is affected by transportation costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 12:33 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,811,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
. Living in DC/Suburban Maryland I see plenty of alternative gasoline vehicles like the Prius, I'm not sure if its just a liberal thing to have those type of vehicles or not, but it does seem like conservatives drive much larger vehicles such as Suburbans/Tahoes.
I do think it is more of a liberal thing to drive a more fuel efficient vehicle. It seems like some republicans I know, won't say conservatives as a lot of people I know are more libertarian minded conservatives, will not drive a hybrid to save their lives. They complain about the lack of power of the vehicle or that it is too small, even though they either don't have kids or don't have more than 2 and can easily fit 2 kids in a smaller vehicle to save money.

They just want to complain IMO instead of doing something proactively about it. Most of the uber liberals I know take fuel conservation a step further and actually bike everywhere or take transit. They usually take their bike on transit lol. They save a lot of money in the process as even buying a monthly tranit card is about $90 a month and less than most people spend on gas monthly.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:42 PM

29,423 posts, read 14,612,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Anyone no matter what they use for transportation who is not conscious of gas prices is foolish, everything purchased is affected by transportation costs.

Give it a rest, just because you care doesn't mean everyone else should. All my hobbies revolve around gas. Boating (although now a much smaller one) , ATV's , Snowmobiles and the truck to trailer them around with. If I freaked out everytime the price fluctuated I'd have an ulser. It is what it is. There is nothing we can do about the prices other than eliminating the things that use it from our lives. If and when it gets to the point where the fun factor vs cost equation doesn't work for me then i will make a change. Does this make me foolish ? If it does, whatever I'm having fun and enjoying life.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simster View Post
Road dog, the question was how conscious are you at the gas pump. I take that to mean people gassing up their vehicles & the actual price of gas per gallon that they are pumping into their vehicle. Not the price of tomatoes.
Then your'e being very narrow minded and selfish because the price at the pump means much more than just what it costs you to drive.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:48 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,236,084 times
Quote:
How conscious are you at the Gas pump today?
Please, personally, I roll with the flow.
OP, you are young, and too young to remember these days.
1973 oil crisis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 1973 Oil Crisis - YouTube

Old 10-18-2012, 12:49 PM

29,423 posts, read 14,612,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Then your'e being very narrow minded and selfish because the price at the pump means much more than just what it costs you to drive.
I do agree with you on this.. there are so many things that we rely on that are fossil fuel related. I'm in the plastics industry and the price of resin just keeps going up up up.. but I do think the OP's question related to what we pay at the pump.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:50 PM

23,832 posts, read 24,081,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
The Govt. buys my gas I don't give a rip how much it cost......
You're welcome.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:51 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,164,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
And here in lies the problem. You chose to have a car that runs on premium. No one forced you to buy that, like no one forced people to buy suvs.

Its called good fiscal management to plan ahead for higher gas prices, instead of assuming they'll be low forever and getting mad when prices go up.

If an extra 20 dollars a week breaks your budget, you're the dumb ass.
1. I chose a car that fit my needs 5 years ago when gas was less than 2$ a gallon. It's a small Pontiac. BTW, with my upgrades and mods, it gets 31.5mpg highway and 20 plus city.

2. I plan ahead based on what should be normal cost of living percentage increase. What we are seeing isn't normal. I am not mad that they have gone up, I am annoyed that we haven't built a new refinery in over 30 years, and that the policies of this president has contributed to this mess, instead of preventing it.

3. If you allow even a 5% increase in the cost of gas, from 2008 to 2012, the cost would still be less than 3$ a gallon, Based on that information, the cost of a gallon of gas, is about $2.00 or more a gallon, and when your fill up is about 15.75 gallons, the cost is greater than $20.

4. Not only can I afford it, but I can probably afford more. The reason I get a stomach ache is I actually realize how the **** poor policies of our current administration have contributed to the higher costs every person in this country is paying, yet he wants another 4 years so he can completely ruin our economy.

btw, MY car was paid for outright, and there are no monthlies, trust me, I can afford the cost of gas, it just makes me sick, where it is, and the fact that failed policies have put it there.

Last edited by Darkatt; 10-18-2012 at 01:23 PM..

Old 10-18-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Give it a rest, just because you care doesn't mean everyone else should. All my hobbies revolve around gas. Boating (although now a much smaller one) , ATV's , Snowmobiles and the truck to trailer them around with. If I freaked out everytime the price fluctuated I'd have an ulser. It is what it is. There is nothing we can do about the prices other than eliminating the things that use it from our lives. If and when it gets to the point where the fun factor vs cost equation doesn't work for me then i will make a change. Does this make me foolish ? If it does, whatever I'm having fun and enjoying life.
Who said anything about "freaking out" I guess you are the only one who did because I sure didn't, there is a big difference in being conscious of whats happening which will at some point affect your life than as YOU put it "FREAKING OUT" LOL By the way all my hobbies involve gas too and that is why I am conscious of it's price.
People have their heads buried in their azz too often to notice their surroundings.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:57 PM

23,832 posts, read 24,081,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Not hardly. The Prez doesn't "control" the price of gas, the market does. The most he could do is release some of the reserves, which MAY temporarily bring the prices down.
You don't think that "the market" is influenced by what policy changes they think the President of the United States will try to implement?

Are you actually that naive, or did you just forget to have your morning coffee today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies