Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 08:07 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
1/ Britain is suffering a greater loss of Freedom of Speech than the U.S.
2/ Britain's "alledged" loss of Freedom of Speech is as a result of Big Government.
3/ Britain (as stated clearly in your post title) is down some deliterious path you haven't already embarked on and arguably may be waaay ahead of them on.

Are we on the same page now?
No. Britain's loss of freedom is not "alleged". It's factual. Just read the news and look around at the millions of video cameras.

And yes, it is Big Government. Britain's Big Government is slowly but surely diminishing your freedoms including freedom of speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 08:09 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post

Second, Britain never had a first amendment. The freedom to say what you want is tempered by the public distress and alarm it may cause.

I don't recall saying anything about Britain's first amendment.

Those who don't value freedom of speech use the "offensive speech" lame excuse quite often.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:14 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,097 times
Personally, I have a higher quality of life living in Scotland than I would in the US. I'm grateful every day this is where I'm living out my retirement. I have excellent health care, free prescriptions, free bus pass, free ferry pass, etc etc. I wouldn't move back to the US for any amount of money.

Roadking, why don't you focus on the paranoia about Muslims and the arrogance which is rampant in the US?

Oh, and I live in a country with open minds and no fundies trying to push their beliefs on the rest of the country.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:26 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No. Britain's loss of freedom is not "alleged". It's factual. Just read the news and look around at the millions of video cameras.

And yes, it is Big Government. Britain's Big Government is slowly but surely diminishing your freedoms including freedom of speech.
My freedom of speech is at least as guaranteed as yours through a moral imperative without the need for a 1st amendment.

You are still banging on about how we do not value our freedom of speech because I argue about your surmisal Britain is losing theirs through big government. When will you acknowledge that the value an individual places upon their freedom of speech has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with castigating another country over transient examples?

You seem all too willing to completely ignore all the links I've posted for you to peruse and comment upon as regards the loss of those 1st amendment rights through your "Big Government" within your country that are legislated across the board.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:39 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,097 times
Quote:
My freedom of speech is at least as guaranteed as yours through a moral imperative without the need for a 1st amendment.

You are still banging on about how we do not value our freedom of speech because I argue about your surmisal Britain is losing theirs through big government. When will you acknowledge that the value an individual places upon their freedom of speech has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with castigating another country over transient examples?

You seem all too willing to completely ignore all the links I've posted for you to peruse and comment upon as regards the loss of those 1st amendment rights through your "Big Government" within your country that are legislated across the board.
Americans seem to think their right to freedom of speech means you can say whatever the f*** you want. It doesn't. You can't say things which will incite violence. You can't say you'd like to assassinate someone. You can't yell fire in a crowded place.

This tshirt was in response to two well-loved young women police officers who were brutally slain. Wearing a tshirt approving of that could certainly cause violent reactions.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:45 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
This tshirt was in response to two well-loved young women police officers who were brutally slain. Wearing a tshirt approving of that could certainly cause violent reactions.
The t shirt was not inciting violence. It would certainly be protected under the 1st.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I don't recall saying anything about Britain's first amendment.

Those who don't value freedom of speech use the "offensive speech" lame excuse quite often.
And those who wear their "Freedom of Speech" badge on their arms point to it as the glaring example of the rest of us not valuing it while ignoring the examples of the loss of it within their own country.

Many countries enjoy "Freedom of Speech" to the same degree (perhaps even moreso) than the U.S. Not everyone needs their freedoms written into a "Constitution". Some are actually capable of maintaining these rights as a part of their societal moral imperatives.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:03 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
I remember Obama going after Fox News saying it was not news and shouldn't have a seat in the press room during Obama press conferences.. If not for Fox News , we would look more like a communist country with media all agreeing with the dictator.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:14 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Many countries enjoy "Freedom of Speech" to the same degree (perhaps even moreso) than the U.S. Not everyone needs their freedoms written into a "Constitution". Some are actually capable of maintaining these rights as a part of their societal moral imperatives.
Obviously Britain is not one of them.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:

Oh boy; am I ever glad you brought up those security cameras on buildings in the U.K.!

Drone use in the U.S. raises privacy concerns - CBS News

Domestic Drones | American Civil Liberties Union

DHS wants to use spy drones domestically for 'public safety' — RT

So a country that cannot afford to put cameras everywhere over it's huge larger land mass instead gets a little more inventive and just puts a camera in the sky to watch you all. Interesting perspective about your freedom illusions you have there Roadking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies