Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 05:05 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
They especially don't like to pay taxes to frivolous things like Fire Protection Districts.
Isn't it a hoot when left-wing fanatics make up lies about conservatives, announce the conservatives think that way, and then try to bash them for it?

They're so cute....!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 05:07 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Um, it is free for me. I just punch three buttons on the telephone. Tell the operator my address, and three minutes later, fire trucks show up with all the man power and equipment need to put out the fire. No need to subscribe, no waiting for the dispatcher to check my records to see if I have paid, and no bill comes after they put out the fire. Thats free. .
Your tax money pays for that service - you just don't realize it automatically because you don't do it directly.

You can't be that dense to think that something that is funded by taxes is free.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Isn't it a hoot when left-wing fanatics make up lies about conservatives, announce the conservatives think that way, and then try to bash them for it?

They're so cute....!
I think that is called a strawman argument - YES - I am quite certain that I learned that in my critical reasoning class and you know something else? - I am pretty sure that I was taught that a strawman argument is something called a "logical fallacy" - which is just a fancy way of saying that the argument is full of - well I don't want to be hit with an infraction - but you get the idea!

Old 10-18-2012, 05:19 PM

1,187 posts, read 994,873 times
Quote:
1. Yes I know that. I was trying to be polite. But I should have been more clear and said "teabaggers" instead of "tea party people".

2. I just assumed it. Because every time I hear teabaggers talk, they are always blabbering about how free enterprise can do everything better then the government, and how the government is evil and how we have to keep cutting funding for everything, except for the military, the police and the border patrol.
Well you know what they say about "assuming"! I appreciate you trying to be polite, because it PISSES me off that people actually think it's ok to use the term you just did! GAH!

Try RESEARCHING something before you assume you know what you're talking about because you listen to too much MSNBC and the HuffPO! The TEA party people, like me, do want to cut the crazy out of control spending and taxing! We are Taxed Enough Already!!! That being said, no one has said that fire departments should be privatized... although there are good arguments for it. There are some excellent fire departments out there that are privately owned... just like there are some really horrible ones out there that are publicly funded!

Old 10-18-2012, 05:33 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,036 times
Imagine us in nyc going back to the bad old days or privatized fire and police departments of the 1800's, ever seen Gangs of NY where the two fire departments meeting at the same fire end up getting into a fist fight over who is going to do what while the house burns to the ground. That's what I'd think it would be like, oh and in Colorado where they had a town that was staunchly libertarian/conservative who did not want to pay taxes for a police department or fire department... guess what happened ??? They had a brush fire the local fire agency couldn't handle because it was so poorly funded so the fire that started out there burned bright and burned far. The police "department" fled the town with the locals and what happened after that ??? The houses were burglarized since there were no fire department to stay and make sure the town was safe from looters, and it ended up they had to call on the federal government to come and save them and then they petitioned FEMA for emergency aid and relief.

Funny story isn't it ?? No it's really not very funny this is what happens though when you underfund departments, when something terrible like this happens there is no help and there is no way to correct the problem.

Wildfire Tests Police in Colorado Tax Movement

Old 10-18-2012, 05:46 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
It always amazes me that when 911 was unfolding, the firefighters were everyone's heroes. Since the Tea Potty types and various radicals and fringe freaks have infiltrated the government, firefighters have been demonized. WTH is going on?

Old 10-18-2012, 05:52 PM

1,187 posts, read 994,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It always amazes me that when 911 was unfolding, the firefighters were everyone's heroes. Since the Tea Potty types and various radicals and fringe freaks have infiltrated the government, firefighters have been demonized. WTH is going on?
Show me WHERE exactly have the TEA Party "demonized" fire fighters?? NO WHERE!

Old 10-18-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
Show me WHERE exactly have the TEA Party "demonized" fire fighters?? NO WHERE!
That is one of the left's favorite tactics - make up a lie about conservatives - state it as if it is true - then ask why people do what the lie says.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:03 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
That being said, no one has said that fire departments should be privatized...
Fantastic, we agree that the government provides excellent fire/emergency services. Now, how about giving the government the same chance to do something with our crappy over priced health care system, in this country? If we can have the government put out fires for us, then there should be no reason they can't provide us with universal health care. In many cases peoples medical care begins with fire department EMTs anyway.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 10-18-2012 at 06:13 PM..

Old 10-18-2012, 06:07 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
Believe it or not, being a fireman is not very difficult and it is amazing not to see more cities fire their union firemen and outsource the job to private companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies