Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 05:24 PM

580 posts, read 449,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
What of the defense in Senate? Is that acceptable?
What do you mean 'defense in senate'? Gridlock? No. This conutry would be much further along on the path to recovery had the Republicans not, on the night of Obama's inauguration, set the wheels in motion at that restaurant on Capitol Hill, to make thwarting anything Obama put before them their #1 priority...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 05:25 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski View Post
So in other words you would tell Willard to lie? How is that any different than what his handlers are already telling him?
How is this a lie?
As we borrow more and more money and we print more and more money the value of the dollar is weakened. That means your buying power is reduced.
Healthcare has gone up. That is money out of our wallets.
The cost of living has gone up and avergae income has dropped.
These are all facts.
In 2005 it was 40 baht to the dollar.
In 2008 it was 34 baht to the dollar
Today it 29 baht to the dollar.
Thailands economy is weak and yet they have gained on the mighty dollar.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
What do you mean 'defense in senate'? Gridlock? No. This conutry would be much further along on the path to recovery had the Republicans not, on the night of Obama's inauguration, set the wheels in motion at that restaurant on Capitol Hill, to make thwarting anything Obama put before them their #1 priority...
Deflection at its worst.
Reid is the cause of gridlock in the senate. Remember the Dems and Reid control the Senate.
How do you know it would be further along? Obama's investments at the cost to tax payers have hardly panned out. His own CBO 278,000 dollars per job created.
Todays unemployed actual numbers is about the same as when he took office. That is a fact.
Wishful thinking doesn't equal fact. I wish I won the lottery and if I did I would have bought a ranch. I wish I spent more on lottery tickets. If I did I would have won.
An effective leader can find compromise. Bill Clinton did.
Remove your partisan blinders and see the truth. BOTH parties are playing the same game.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
How is this a lie?
As we borrow more and more money and we print more and more money the value of the dollar is weakened. That means your buying power is reduced.
Healthcare has gone up. That is money out of our wallets.
The cost of living has gone up and avergae income has dropped.
These are all facts.
In 2005 it was 40 baht to the dollar.
In 2008 it was 34 baht to the dollar
Today it 29 baht to the dollar.
Thailands economy is weak and yet they have gained on the mighty dollar.
If you read the post to which I was responding, you will see that the poster alluded to an increase of 20% in taxes...

...that is a lie.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:42 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Default More nonsense from the Right

Stupid analogy using the coach. There is something in our US Governmental structure called "CHECKS AND BALANCES." The President must work with Congress, who presumably is striving to work for the good of the nation as dictated by the Constitution. Congressional Republicans have continued generating Bush's stench on the country. Ignoring the role of Congressional Republicans to make the President fail, is the reason why the President is headed for reelection.

Coach Romney? First I would tell him to shut up when it's not his turn to talk and respect the moderator and the rules of the debate format. I would also tell him to continue what he's doing. Avoiding the diastrous impact of Republican policies under Bush and the negative residual impact we're still trying to recover from. Blame the President for the failures of the Congressional Republican obstructionists. Continue to run away from Bain questions. Don't mention tax returns in hopes that everyone forgets he is hiding them. Pretend like he suddenly cares about women, immigrants, the middle class, the 47%, and so forth despite the fact that the money which supports his campaign is given by corporations and PACs who have nothing but disdain for these segments. Pretend as if "trickle-down" economics works, despite overwhelming evidence and historical proof that it's a shameful failure.

Enjoy President Obama's second term.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
If you read the post to which I was responding, you will see that the poster alluded to an increase of 20% in taxes...

...that is a lie.
There will be increases. how much who knows.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Deflection at its worst.
Reid is the cause of gridlock in the senate. Remember the Dems and Reid control the Senate.
How do you know it would be further along? Obama's investments at the cost to tax payers have hardly panned out. His own CBO 278,000 dollars per job created.
Todays unemployed actual numbers is about the same as when he took office. That is a fact.
Wishful thinking doesn't equal fact. I wish I won the lottery and if I did I would have bought a ranch. I wish I spent more on lottery tickets. If I did I would have won.
An effective leader can find compromise. Bill Clinton did.
Remove your partisan blinders and see the truth. BOTH parties are playing the same game.
I'll respond to the first bold above...and request you follow you own advice to the second...

Gridlock in Congress? Blame the GOP - CNN.com

"The first is with the kind of brinksmanship budgetary politics that has now become normative. Last week, House Speaker John Boehner once again threatened that Republicans would not vote to increase the debt ceiling unless Democrats agreed to certain tax and spending policies sought by the GOP."

"Holding the debt ceiling hostage to win political battles has undermined international confidence in the U.S. political system. It has also created an unhealthy atmosphere where politicians are willing to take great risks with the goal of winning certain legislative battles. "

"The second way Republicans push the envelope of partisanship is with the filibuster."

"Democrats have had to end Republican filibusters more than 360 times, a historic record." (this number is now up to 385, which is 28% of all filings for cloture since 1917)

Last edited by cjski; 10-19-2012 at 06:00 PM..

Old 10-19-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I'll respond to the first bold above...and request you follow you own advice to the second...

Gridlock in Congress? Blame the GOP - CNN.com

"The first is with the kind of brinksmanship budgetary politics that has now become normative. Last week, House Speaker John Boehner once again threatened that Republicans would not vote to increase the debt ceiling unless Democrats agreed to certain tax and spending policies sought by the GOP."

"Holding the debt ceiling hostage to win political battles has undermined international confidence in the U.S. political system. It has also created an unhealthy atmosphere where politicians are willing to take great risks with the goal of winning certain legislative battles. "

"The second way Republicans push the envelope of partisanship is with the filibuster."

"Democrats have had to end Republican filibusters more than 360 times, a historic record." (this number is now up to 385, which is 28% of all filings for cloture since 1917)
Once again you avoid answering the question about Reid and the senate. I myself never pretended to support either party. In fact I can't begin to count the number of posts I have made that call out the fact that both parties are to blame.
I'll say it again Until you are willing to hold your own party equally accountable you dont have the moral high ground. You can never have it. Does it matter who does it the least or most? Both do it. The dems did it often under GWB. This practice was not invented by the republicans in 2008.
The Odd History of the American Filibuster - Newsweek and The Daily Beast

Old 10-19-2012, 07:15 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Default 0bama never bothered to ask

During the debate, Mitt Romney needs to light 0bama up about the lack of security in Benghazi.

In the VP debate, Biden stated that he and 0bama were ignorant of security issues in Benghazi, because we weren't told they wanted more security.” Biden did not say they were told everything was safe, he said they were never told that Stevens wanted more security.

Well, maybe Biden can get away with that because we don’t expect much from him. But with 0bama ignorance is no excuse.

If president 0bama did not know about Stevens’ requests for more security, it’s because 0BAMA NEVER BOTHERED TO ASK. He did not pick up the phone and ask Stevens if he was safe.

0bama was concerned with going on Jimmy Fallen, Jon Stewart, Jay Leno, David Letterman, the Pimp with the Limp, and was eye-candy on The View.

0bama is not just anyone, he is the president of the United States; the president needs to be engaged and he needs to be proactive.

Libya is not just any country; it’s the country 0bama decided to attack all on his own, without first consulting with the American people, or the Congress, nor did he get approval from Congress before dropping bombs on Libya. He invaded Libya all on his own, he lead from behind, destroyed their military, and dissolved their government, which lead to their president being dragged thru the streets and murdered.

What was it Colin Powell said? “If you break it, you own it.” Well 0bama broke, then he washed his hands of it and walked away.

If anyone on the planet should have been more keenly aware and concerned about security in Libya, it should be Barack 0bama, the man who blew it up last year, the man who sent our diplomats to Libya. If he did not know, then it’s because he was not concerned enough to ask.

If 0bama did not receive any Presidential Daily Briefs about security in Libya, he should have demanded to be briefed; he should have picked up the phone and called Stevens to ask if he was safe there.

Weren’t we told 0bama was the “most sophisticated consumer of intelligence on the planet?”

“The President is among the most sophisticated consumers of intelligence on the planet,” National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor wrote in an e-mail. “He receives and reads his [Presidential Daily Brief] every day, and most days when he’s at the White House receives a briefing in person. When necessary he probes the arguments, requests more information or seeks alternate analysis. Sometimes that’s via a written assessment and other times it’s in person.

White House disputes report on intel briefs

There is no way for 0bama to spin this.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Once again you avoid answering the question about Reid and the senate.
It's my opinion that Reid is reacting to the hper-partisanship on display by the republicans...
Quote:
I myself never pretended to support either party. In fact I can't begin to count the number of posts I have made that call out the fact that both parties are to blame.
I'll say it again Until you are willing to hold your own party equally accountable you dont have the moral high ground. You can never have it.
What is this, grade school? No, both parties are not equally culpable for the current gridlock in congress. It was your party leaders that met at a restaurant on Capitol Hill with Newt Gingrich...on the night if President Obama's inauguration no less, for the sole purpose of laying the ground work to defeat any and all legislation proposed by the President...

It was your party member who yelled out "liar!" to the President in the middle of a state of the union speech...

It was your Minority of the Senate leader Mitch McConnell who, during a speech, stated that it was his parties top priority to make President Obama a 1 term president...

It was your parties stalling tactic that caused the credit rating of this country to be downgraded for the 1st time in history...

...so no, I'll go ahead and claim the moral high ground, and feel justified in doing so.

Quote:
Does it matter who does it the least or most?
Yes.

Quote:
The dems did it often under GWB. This practice was not invented by the republicans in 2008.
The Odd History of the American Filibuster - Newsweek and The Daily Beast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies