Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 06:04 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Despise may be a tad strong. Conservatives, despite having a lower median income than liberals, donate by far more. I agree that a lot of legislation proposed by democrats explicitly targets the poor but I think you would be pressed to find evidence to support your assertion.
If you think that was strong try this. The only thing that conservatives do is steel from the poor and give to the rich, and they have been doing it for the last 30 years, without mercy. No one with an ounce of compassion would do that to people who already have nothing. What ever bones they throw back is just a token to ease their conscience. I'm not impressed.

Reagonomics: Rich get richer, poor get poorer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Regardless...the GOP isn't the question posed. I'm not looking for comparison...as I'm sure I have an idea as to how you feel. I am interested in whether you believe they sincerely care, or play this side because it's politically advantageous.
I gave you my answer. You just didn't like the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 06:14 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
I don't think they care about anything but themselves. Getting reelected is their top priority.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:27 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
I know rich people who are degenerates . Just look at the hollywood crowd and the talk show hosts. Bill Maher comes to mind.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:34 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post

Using strictly advanced degrees as a measurement of intelligence actually deserves the . However, if you want to use advanced degree or even Ph.d's, Midwest cities boast some of the highest percentages, such as Ann Arbor, Ames, Madison, Minneapolis - St. Paul, Rochester, and more.

Here is another metric to capture capture America's smartest cities, and the Midwest bodes well.
The 25 Brainiest Cities In America - Business Insider

Plus, combining expenditures, and math and reading proficiencies, along with other factors is more reasonable, but even then there are caveats. Nonetheless, the Midwest bodes well again by this metric.
Smartest State 2006-2007

Or one can look at SAT/ACT scores, where the Midwest dominates, year after year. Lets see which states dominate the SAT/ACT ranking from 1999:
SAT and ACT Average Scores by States

Nothing much has changed 10 years later:
Best and Worst States: State SAT Scores 2009

Nonetheless, any metric to capture how "smart" a state is problematic, but the Midwest typically bodes well regardless of metric outside of advanced degrees. However, using advanced degrees metric is problematic as I previously stated. The economy of the Midwest is different than urban economies by the coasts. In the Midwest, there are more middle-skilled jobs that pay decently that only require a two-year degree. In fact, people in the Midwest can support a family with one bread winner with these types of jobs. You can't do that in other parts of the country. Therefore, the incentive to get advanced degrees is much greater, making it a rather dumb metric to measure how "smart" a state is.

Regardless, we will have to agree to disagree. While you think the Midwest is host to simpletons and idiots, there are many smart and intelligent people who reside here. I have spent time all across the country, and I don't think the Midwest is home to the dumbest people in the nation -- not by far.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:53 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Liberals ain't real good at math.

Liberals are good at the math of their bottom line, that's why they don't donate to charity as much as conservatives.

It's Other People's Money that they're terrible at.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:34 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,349 times
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Even if they truly care and are honestly trying to help, they do more harm than good because they don't understand the unintended consequences of their policies.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:54 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:

Oh not this again. Sorry to burst your bubble, but guess which industries dominate the "less educated" states? Oh I don't know, agriculture and manufacturing? You don't need a college education for those, whereas the "smart" states have a more knowledge based economy that require more degrees and many times people from the "less educated" states move there to find a job. Rocket science

Old 10-21-2012, 06:02 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
If you think that was strong try this. The only thing that conservatives do is steel from the poor and give to the rich, and they have been doing it for the last 30 years, without mercy. No one with an ounce of compassion would do that to people who already have nothing. What ever bones they throw back is just a token to ease their conscience. I'm not impressed.

Reagonomics: Rich get richer, poor get poorer?

I gave you my answer. You just didn't like the answer.
You do know that most Farmers are conservatives as are the majority of Military personel. So which farmers specifically are stealing from the poor? Which military personel are stealing from the poor?
Just how are the rich stealing from the poor?
Hardliners and their narrow minded views.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Liberals are good at the math of their bottom line, that's why they don't donate to charity as much as conservatives.

It's Other People's Money that they're terrible at.
Typical conservative lies and misinformation. It's the "conservative" Republicans that can't manage peoples money. The US budget does just fine under liberals, and it will do just fine under Obama, if you freaks will just get off his back.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You do know that most Farmers are conservatives as are the majority of Military personel. So which farmers specifically are stealing from the poor? Which military personel are stealing from the poor?
Just how are the rich stealing from the poor?
Hardliners and their narrow minded views.
They (farmers, military, whoever) vote for the Republican fools that keep redistributing the wealth to the top 1%. I hold everyone who votes Republican responsible for the mess this country is in. Every time the Democrats start to get things back under control, the Republicans elect another retard like George W. Bush to wreck everything again. And then vote for him a second time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies