Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 02:28 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,226 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious. This question is aimed at liberals on this site. I'm a republican, but I wonder if liberals sincerely believe that most democratic politicians actually care about poor people. My opinion is that the poor are a good voting block for liberals...they are consistent and everyone knows the LBJ quote. Both parties have their coalitions...the GOP is no different but do you guys really feel the democrats care about poor people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 02:35 PM

419 posts, read 465,680 times
No. I don't think any politician gives a rip other than for themselves. They serve their own self-interests first and foremost.

That being said, I think Democrats do give better lip service at pretending to care about the poor and middle class. The vibes I get from republicans are, "For the rich, by the rich and only the rich matter." (And yes, before everyone goes berserk, this is just my opinion, I'm not speaking on behalf of anyone else.)

Old 10-20-2012, 02:37 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagurl View Post
No. I don't think any politician gives a rip other than for themselves. They serve their own self-interests first and foremost.

That being said, I think Democrats do give better lip service at pretending to care about the poor and middle class. The vibes I get from republicans are, "For the rich, by the rich and only the rich matter." (And yes, before everyone goes berserk, this is just my opinion, I'm not speaking on behalf of anyone else.)
I appreciate your honesty. I'm not trying to start a political fight or anything I am just sincerely curious.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:43 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
I don't know. Probably most of them don't care about anything but getting re-elected.

Still, when you look at the official records, the Democrats have done more for the average working American than the Republicans, from FDR signing Social Security into law to LBJ signing the Medicare bill in 1965. The Kennedys were very wealthy, but they often fought for the common man. The Republicans didn't even believe in a fair minimum wage which Ted Kennedy fought hard to increase, while he also battled the GOP to strengthen pension protection and unemployment insurance. Lincoln was a Republican, but that was a very long time ago!

Old 10-20-2012, 02:48 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,470,740 times
Yes and no. Certainly some pander, but some also fight hard to protect programs that Republicans want to weaken or abolish, such as SS, medicaid, and the EITC which delivers millions of people out of poverty.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:52 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
politicians only care about their own wealth and power. democrats are very happy that their constituents are very low intelligence and easy to take advantage of.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:53 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,766,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I'm just curious. This question is aimed at liberals on this site. I'm a republican, but I wonder if liberals sincerely believe that most democratic politicians actually care about poor people. My opinion is that the poor are a good voting block for liberals...they are consistent and everyone knows the LBJ quote. Both parties have their coalitions...the GOP is no different but do you guys really feel the democrats care about poor people?
Not really. Most Democratic politicians aren't that liberal anyway, and politics is always about power, no matter which side you're on. I think they are a bit more sympathetic to the poor than Republicans though.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:54 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
......but do you guys really feel the democrats care about poor people?
In comparison to Republicans, yes I do. Just look at their policies.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:56 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,766,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
politicians only care about their own wealth and power. democrats are very happy that their constituents are very low intelligence and easy to take advantage of.
Have you noticed the voting blocks for each party? While Democrats have a subset of voters with lower intelligence that pretty much always goes Democratic, Republicans dominate the Bible belt and Mid west which are the lowest intelligence parts of the country.

While both parties have intelligent and not so intelligent voters, it's quite obvious that the Republican party has a larger voting block of low intelligent constituents. Fundamentalist/Evangelical young earth creationists don't generally vote Democratic.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:02 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
In comparison to Republicans, yes I do. Just look at their policies.
Exactly and isn't that all that matters?

It may not be that Democratic leaders care, it is that Republicans don't... for example:

Quote:
Paul Ryan budget would take two-thirds of its non-military cuts from low-income programs like Medicaid, food stamps, job training and Pell grants for college, according to the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities. While the Ryan plan would cut the tax rate for the rich to 25 percent, the non-partisan Tax Policy Center reports taxes for those who make $30,000 or less would go up.
Jeff Madrick: The Republican War on the Poor
http://paulryan.house.gov/uploadedfi...perity2013.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies