Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 09:22 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,324,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I was a high school teacher for 25 years and for all 25 of them there was a child care program that provided day care for teen mothers (and, for a fee, staff members and the general public).

Not all high schools do that. Granted, I am a little older then 25, but when my then 15 year old mother was pregnant with me in 1978, she had to drop out of school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 09:23 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,321,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Actually it does a lot to encourage teen pregnancy. Many graduate and still lay around on welfare -- having a diploma doesn't prevent one from staying on welfare. The girls love to show off their babies to the other girls, babies are so cute and they even let them throw baby showers during class. They can show off their food stamp cards and WIC coupons and impress their friends.

It's not unusual at all for a junior or senior to already have 3 kids. It's all very convenient. No downside at all -- mom isn't burdened down in any way - she can drop off her kid, skip class and have all kinds of fun. The schools here also give out free meals and free iPads.
First prize for the most uniformed, ignorant post of the morning.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:26 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,321,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Not all high schools do that. Granted, I am a little older then 25, but when my then 15 year old mother was pregnant with me in 1978, she had to drop out of school.
I was a high school teacher in 1978. We had a child care program in my school that accommodated teenage mothers. Of course, my school was in Miami, the 4th largest school district in the nation - very large, very urban.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I was a high school teacher in 1978. We had a child care program in my school that accommodated teenage mothers. Of course, my school was in Miami, the 4th largest school district in the nation - very large, very urban.
Yeah, rural bible belt in Tennessee isn't Miami, and they still don't offer those programs in this part of the country.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:34 AM

15,832 posts, read 21,349,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yeah, rural bible belt in Tennessee isn't Miami, and they still don't offer those programs in this part of the country.
Eh, they did as of 6 years ago when I graduated from a rural-ish school district. I suppose it is just very dependent on the individual district and the number of teen pregnancies they face.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:35 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,953,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Great, use taxpayer money to encourage destructive behavior.

Perfect.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I have a sneaking suspicion that teens were getting pregnant, dropping out and going on welfare before schools started offering a chance to continue their education and have at least a chance of getting a job or furthering their education.

But that might just be a left wing rumor.

Want to pay for birth control?

NO!

Want to allow abortion?

NO!

Want to pay for welfare?

NO!

Want to make it easier to stay in school, get a job and get off welfare?

NO!

Then we need to have effective sex education and access to birth control.

NO!

Old 10-21-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Eh, they did as of 6 years ago when I graduated from a rural-ish school district. I suppose it is just very dependent on the individual district and the number of teen pregnancies they face.
Rural ish......

Old 10-21-2012, 09:36 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,531,356 times
Quote:
First prize for the most uniformed, ignorant post of the morning.
That's exactly how it is here where I live. Come check it out sometime.

And how else do explain the fact that we have more babies being born to welfare programs than ever before? In many regions of the country, more babies are born to welfare families than to non-welfare families.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:36 AM

15,832 posts, read 21,349,172 times
We could always go back to shipping unwed mothers off to "homes" to birth the baby, and then be coerced into putting them up for adoption like my grandmother in 1957 and my great grandmother in the mid-30s.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:38 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,531,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I have a sneaking suspicion that teens were getting pregnant, dropping out and going on welfare before schools started offering a chance to continue their education and have at least a chance of getting a job or furthering their education.

But that might just be a left wing rumor.

Want to pay for birth control?

NO!

Want to allow abortion?

NO!

Want to pay for welfare?

NO!

Want to make it easier to stay in school, get a job and get off welfare?

NO!

Then we need to have effective sex education and access to birth control.

NO!

Hint --- all your liberal programs - planned parenthood, abortion, every kind of government handouts and so on are not working. They certainly are not bringing down the number of births to welfare mothers or teen mothers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies