Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 10:29 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
No you cannot, so don't lie. You have to get a referral to get a mammogram.
That's RIGHT. You have to have a referral from a doctor to have a mammogram done--you can't just wander in on your own. I went to planned parenthood for my well woman checkups when I was young and broke, and they were a godsend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 10:33 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Either it varies from state to state or somebody here is lying. I have made appointments for mammograms without a referral.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:34 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,715,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Either it varies from state to state or somebody here is lying. I have made appointments for mammograms without a referral.

Nothing to do with what state you live in.....of COURSE you can schedule a mammogram without a referral!!

Old 10-21-2012, 10:36 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Did you call the place that does the mammogram or did you call your doctor and schedule one?

Old 10-21-2012, 10:37 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
We've seen a major surge among women in favorability for Romney," These polls find women are concerned with the deficit and debt, just like men.

When you want to hire an employee but the uncertainties about tax planning and the market and your obligations under Obamacare mean you can't, soft appeals to minor extraneous issues fall on deaf ears.

A 30 year old law student whining that others should pay her contraceptive costs, unfettered right to abortion, and equal pay for equal work (a convenient code for further feathering trial lawyers nests with claims for parity) and highlighting fluffy issues beloved of the ill-informed.

When you cannot afford to fill the tank of your car, pay for your health insurance or feed your family, while Obama is tossing away more billions on green energy fantasies and subsidies.

When your savings evaporate, your property is worth less and your tax bill rises to pay for illegal aliens' social costs, lunchroom monitors checking to see if you packed a healthy enough lunch for your kids. Obama's offers to provide more government regulation are unpersuasive.

Then there's the insult that assumes that over half the population is so focused on their reproductive parts that nothing else matters much to them. I mean that does seem terribly regressive when you consider it.

Finally, there's the blatant hypocrisy of the charge coming from a White House which does not offer equal pay to its women employees and aside from Clinton and Valerie Jarrett has no high-level women staffers.

When Valerie Jarrett has more security going to the Hampton's then a Ambassador in Benghazi. We do "not" live in a safer world and Al Qaeda is On Its Heels. Obama is not doing his job. Terrorism is not dead and Americans are not protected from terrorist.

Supporting Obama on these false basis is just thinking with your lady parts.

Last edited by petch751; 10-21-2012 at 10:56 AM..

Old 10-21-2012, 10:39 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Did you call the place that does the mammogram or did you call your doctor and schedule one?
Your question is condescending. I know the difference between making an appointment directly and receivng a referral from my doctor. I made the appointment with the hospital, had the mammogram a couple of weeks later, and the results were sent to both me and my doctor (and this was in TN BTW).

Old 10-21-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Your question is condescending. I know the difference between making an appointment directly and receivng a referral from my doctor. I made the appointment with the hospital, had the mammogram a couple of weeks later, and the results were sent to both me and my doctor (and this was in TN BTW).
How is my question condescending? I asked a simple question. My wife calls her doctor to schedule hers. That is how our insurance works.

One other thing, if you do not have insurance how much do you think that mammogram will cost you?

Old 10-21-2012, 10:46 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Oh good lord--I love it when men think they're experts on women's health care. I love it even more when you KNOW you have no idea what you're talking about, but you go on a rant anyway.

A mammogram is PART of the annual checkup that women have annually to ensure that they're healthy. An annual visit includes a pap smear to test for cervical cancer, other testing for diseases, a manual internal physical exam of the ovaries (to check for cysts or ovarian cancer) a manual exam of the breasts (to check for lumps/potential breast cancer), and THEN a referral for a mammogram if one is needed--women older than 40 should have one every 1-2 years, and younger women have them if the doctor finds irregular lumps during a manual exam (or you find them yourself at home) or if you have a strong family history of breast cancer.

When I go to my local OB/GYN for my annual visit, they REFER me to another facility for my mammogram--that's normal. They're usually done in a radiology clinic, and not at the doctors office. GYN appointments are very expensive, and without insurance, many women would go without cancer screening if it wasn't for Planned Parenthood--they charge on a sliding scale based on your income, and for very low income women are often able to subsidize the cost of mammography and followups conducted at other facilities through grants and fundraising. Some Planned Parenthood clinics DO offer onsite mammography through specialized mammography vans. According to the factcheck.org link below, nearly 800K women rely on well woman visits through Planned Parenthood each year, and around 3 million use them for birth control prescriptions, etc.

FactCheck.org : Planned Parenthood and Mammograms

Old 10-21-2012, 10:47 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,715,925 times
Quote:
How is my question condescending? I asked a simple question. My wife calls her doctor to schedule hers. That is how our insurance works.

BINGO....that's a function of your insurance company's rules, not a function of not being able to do it on your own.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
BINGO....that's a function of your insurance company's rules, not a function of not being able to do it on your own.
Once again, what about those who do not have insurance and cannot afford mammograms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies