Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:53 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
This is one of the reasons why Latinos and blacks are overwhelmingly in favor of Obama, and Romney may have record-white support. Check out the graph:

Recession widens the wealth gap by race - Jun. 21, 2012
so races of people that have had their percentage of wealth drop a higher percentage then anybody is going to support the person presiding over the country during that drop? Makes a ton of sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 12:02 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I pretty much shove all my excess money into a 401K, is that considered easily accessible savings? I seldom have more than 2K in a traditional savings account. Not when they are paying a fraction of a percent interest.
I'm curious, ok, nosey. Are you able to direct where your 401K deposits go? My spouse had a 401K years ago during the S&L crisis, and it lost a majority of it's value, and her administrator was doing the directing of her funds, without her having a say so.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:10 PM

221 posts, read 282,909 times
Quote:
Yet people have no problem keeping new cars in the driveway and TV's the size of sheets of plywood on the walls.
'Cause you know, unless they're at an income level of which they can have 25K in their savings account by the time they're age 30, they don't deserve any better than a basic need existence. They're irresponsible if they've bought technology any higher than a radio for keeping up with the local news...they don't deserve to have a television. Additionally, they are irresponsible if they live more than three miles away from work and need a car (they should have planned their lives better), buy expensive eggs and produce at the store (they ought to be out back yard farming and tending hens on their free time), pay 30 dollars for hairstyling (ought to be able to cut their own dang hair), spend money on new clothes (the thrift store has plenty of cast-off clothes), go on a vacation (dumb bunnies should've gotten a second job instead). </sarcasm>

This is actually not "shocking" information. It has always been the case a good percentage of the population has no or little savings.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:12 PM

249 posts, read 306,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Because of course it isn't wage suppression, arbitrary increases in gas costs, arbitrary rent hikes. I think of it as taxation from the rich.

Every place I've lived from one year to the next they increase rent by $50/month every year because of "market demand". Basically its an entitle rich guy stating he thinks he deserves more for the same product. The same can be said of gas prices. It makes saving difficult to impossible.

If you want to see more Americans save more so they can take personal responsibility, you make good choices actually possible. Wage increases and rent controls are necessary. Don't like it? Get out and someone who isn't so greedy will happily take your place.
You must not own anything. Rent prices go up cause the price of maintaining one is very expensive. And yes, property taxes are out of control. Sometimes the property tax increase by 5% a year. That is a ton load of money and you are complaining that the landlord raises the rent by fifty bucks.

I see nothing but the government taxing it's people, cause they believe everyone is really rich. Well those landlords are sometimes just as broke as the tenants that complain about having to pay rent.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:28 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
so races of people that have had their percentage of wealth drop a higher percentage then anybody is going to support the person presiding over the country during that drop? Makes a ton of sense to me.
They don't see it that way. That's not how dependence works. They believe they need the government to help them, so they will be predisposed to supporting Obama, no matter what.

You might call it a case of Stockholm Syndrome.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:01 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
I wonder how many of those 40% have smart phones, new computers, cable or Direct TV, etc. People in this country are incredibly irresponsible. Most people can't differientiate needs from wants.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salami-rules View Post
You must not own anything. Rent prices go up cause the price of maintaining one is very expensive. And yes, property taxes are out of control. Sometimes the property tax increase by 5% a year. That is a ton load of money and you are complaining that the landlord raises the rent by fifty bucks.

I see nothing but the government taxing it's people, cause they believe everyone is really rich. Well those landlords are sometimes just as broke as the tenants that complain about having to pay rent.

Actually, costs of operating rental property appear to not have a great deal to do with rent levels. The first obvious example of this was California after the homeowner-majority voters passed Proposition 13, rolling back and capping property assessments. Since property taxes were cut an average of 57 percent, your theory suggests rents should have fallen, but they kept going up, with local rent controls popping up in response.

Indeed, for about the past five years, landlords have reduced their mortgage costs billions of dollars by refinancing at falling interest rates, and you guessed it, rents kept going up.

As for property taxes, if you think they are out of control for homeowners, they are actually worse for landlords, because rental property is taxed at higher rates than owner-occupied homes in many states - and the homeowners who complain about THEIR property taxes being out of control are usually happy to stick it to rental properties.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:36 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I wonder how many of those 40% have smart phones, new computers, cable or Direct TV, etc. People in this country are incredibly irresponsible. Most people can't differientiate needs from wants.

I don't have ANY of those things; the most I have ever paid for a (used) computer is $150 for the netbook I have now. How much in savings do you expect a burger flipper to have?

And I don't know why they call it DirecTV, the only genuine direct TV is the broadcast kind which comes over the airwaves to your television.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Whehn you look at the non-participation rate that is not surprising. Its hard to save when you don't work.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:39 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
I know several people who had thousands in savings but which are now gone because they lost their jobs and had to use their savings to make ends meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies