Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2007, 03:50 AM

99 posts, read 198,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Aren't most school clubs caucasian clubs? I'm not justifying the double standard, but it's the same reason we don't have WET in TV... when the powerful majority bands together and excludes minorities it just seems worse than when the less-powerful minorities band together, I guess. Especially since there's usually already plenty of unofficial "caucasian clubs" to join and "white entertainment television" to watch. If it were some minority of white people (the "Irish" club, the Italy Club, Judaism Club, the hockey club, etc.) it wouldn't seem as backwards, I guess.
I see. It's OK to discriminate, but only if you are a minority doing it. By that logic, a black owned apartment complex could prohibit leasing to whites. Very faulty logic, very faulty.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:31 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
The use of the word 'Caucasian' suggests that people would be getting together based on skin-color, which seems both shallow and race-centric. However, if it's a cultural club, for example, The Euro-American Club or The Euro Culture Get-Together, then I think that would be fine.
Spanish Hispanics would certainly qualify for a 'Euro-American' club

And; strictly speaking non White Europeans, of which there are many would also qualify, culturally speaking

Old 10-12-2007, 07:23 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Spanish Hispanics would certainly qualify for a 'Euro-American' club

And; strictly speaking non White Europeans, of which there are many would also qualify, culturally speaking

Absolutely right. But the OP also suggested the intent of the Club is to learn more about her Scottish and other european roots. So if some non-whites of European descent were in her Club, that should not matter at all.

Unless the intent is really just to be a "White" Club to counteract the "Black " club down the hall. But I don't think the OP is suggesting that.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:59 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Yes. I affectionately call myself a whitie. Now, the purpose of my original statement wasn't to attack you in any way. But you seemed to have taken it as such. But I do have a couple comical retorts to your "defense" from assuming attack. Mind you, I'm just trying to be a little light-hearted. ((Boss is in a bad mood.))

Only if they didn't have a heavy accent.

That I am. "African American" is not the equivalent as "black american."

African American = People who live in America, but came from Africa

Black American = Dark skinned American, such as, but not limited to, Africans or Jamaicans.. or Black people raised in Europe!

and

Nobody ever injected it into any of your statements. I put it in mine. Sorry, but if among black people, using the forbidden "n" word is ok, then I should be able to freely call people of my color "whities."

Now, Back to our topic at hand. "White Club." Oh wait. We've lost that in this thread. We go from "Should I create this club" to "OMIGOD RACISM!"

Many of these type boards get hijacked in this manner - mainly because we all add spiffs and extras into our posts that somebody else tends to disagree with or agrees with and wants to expand on it. Then we get into one-on-one poo-flinging matches.. with about 3 or 4 matches going on at the same time. While it's somewhat comical for someone to read straight through, it doesn't do anything but cause chaos for the thread.

"Yes. I affectionately call myself a whitie. Now, the purpose of my original statement wasn't to attack you in any way. But you seemed to have taken it as such. But I do have a couple comical retorts to your "defense" from assuming attack. Mind you, I'm just trying to be a little light-hearted. ((Boss is in a bad mood.))"

Gotcha...my fault, I didnt mean to misconstrue the intent of YOUR original post, lol...sorry for that misunderstanding...I got defensive because I didnt appreciate you insinuating that I thought all whites benifited from "whitey's" yada, yada, yada...There is a militant/extremist connotation to that phrase especially when American blacks use it. And it renders their points moot, as they are often shuffled into the deck with the rest of the nearly irrelevant militants (during conversation that is). Its the same reason most whites object to being called racist kkk members when they are simply trying to make an objective statement regarding race. Yet, people embellish their words and warp them into something they were'nt intended to be...it is indirectly projecting an undesireable attribute upon me that I don't adhere to in principle nor practice. White people are not "whitey", " white devil"or any other term used to caricature them in my opinion. Inversely, I certainly respect your right to refer to yourself as whatever you like, and even moreso in the lighthearted manner for which you intended it...so in essence, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding there.

I also wholeheartedly agree with your assertion that you are African American lol...(that sounds kinda funny I know but thats basically what I'm doing). Which is why I very seldom use the phrase "African Americans" to describe American born blacks, and when I do, I usually use quotations. Conventional wisdom suggests that most black Americans have never even been to Africa. HOWEVER, considering that the tendency of common American nomenclature is to rather ignorantly refer to American Blacks as African Americans, sometimes it is just easier and more time conserving for me adapt the accepted title that others use, rather than redefining the word for most people whenever I engage in a dialogue pertaining to race.

Lastly, I have a couple of mildly passive-aggressive retorts of my own:

A) Nobody ever injected it into any of your statements. I put it in mine. Sorry, but if among black people, using the forbidden "n" word is ok, then I should be able to freely call people of my color "whities." -

You certainly did inject it into my statement as you placed it in within the broader context of what I said. It may not have been your intent, but it was the effect. Whether indirectly or directly inserted, it was referenced within the precise context of you paraphrasing MY statement.

B) It should be known that not all blacks condone the use of the "n" word, and among all its opponents, there have been organizations fighting tooth and nail for the abolishment of the word, or at least the abolishment of the double standard for the use of the word. lol...j/k and yes I know you never said "ALL blacks". But you never said "some" either lol...ok Im mincing words now, but yes YOU may call yourself whatever you like. But what you cant do, without my opposition at least, is inject what you think of your own race into my statements when you are so closely paraphrasing them. Because what then happens, is that people who dont take the time to actually read what I originally said, ONLY see your abridged version (...albeit with jovial/lighthearted intent)of what I allegedly said. Subsequently they're left with only YOUR interpretation of MY statement. But I'm not going to go back and forth quibbling over this forever. If you say I took it out of context, then I guess I did, and for that I apologize.

Sincerely your pal,

Mr. Passive Aggressive

Last edited by solytaire; 10-12-2007 at 09:35 AM..

Old 10-12-2007, 09:29 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I am still trying to figure out why everything must be segregated? Why do we need a United Negro College fund or any other minority find? It should be based on needs and school performance. Why all the division? How are Americans suppose to feel a connection to anyone with this crap. Instead of how different we all are, how about focusing on what we have in common.
I so agree with this!
First I will say, I am not prejudice against any race or ethnic back ground. Am I cautious of a obviously Arabian person while standing in line to get on an airplane and checking their shoes for fuses? Yes, but that is because all Americans (of any color) now have a reason to be cautious in that situation Other than that, which will take some obvious time to get over for any American, but 40 years with no other incident, I sure hope not,
here we are in 2007 and yet here are the cold truths of our nation still, since the 60's.

Black entertainment channel-----acceptable, not racist
White entertainment channel------not acceptable, racist
Negro college fund------acceptable, not racist
Caucasian college fund------not acceptable, racist
African American clubs (weather at a school of civic) -----acceptable, not racist
Asian clubs----acceptable, not racist
Mexican clubs------ acceptable, not racist
Indian clubs (American or Eastern)----acceptable, not racist
German clubs-----acceptable, not racist
European clubs----acceptable, not racist
Russian clubs----acceptable, not racist
Irish clubs-----acceptable, not racist
Jamaican clubs-----acceptable, not racist
Islander clubs-------acceptable, not racist
Caucasian club-----SOOO not acceptable, Overly racist,
Do you all see the hypocrisy in this as I do? Why is it PC to call your group a name that associates with the color of your skin UNLESS you happen to be white?
I personally do not think there should be a "Caucasian" or "White" group or club, but I also do not believe there should be a "African American" "Asian" "Mexican" or any other group or club that's sole purpose is to differentiate by skin color. And I am sorry, I know some will rebut with "but they are gathering to explore and learn their heritage" and maybe so, but it's main purpose is to exclude anyone of a different race and gather with only "people like me" which seems to be fine for everyone except the white person.

To the OP, I respect your son for seeing this and wanting to point it out to the school. I think he is correct, it is racism to say he can not start a club based on the color of his skin, but those of other skin colors than he can do so.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:58 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post

I also wholeheartedly agree with your assertion that you are African American
I'm not. The sentence you probably got thsis from was:
Quote:
I am. "African American...."
There was a period there.

Yes, I know that not all blacks condone using the "n" word no matter what the context is. I'm just saying that if they do - they don't usually get fired from their job or get publicly flamed.

And, actually, a caucasian club doesn't seem to be a problem to me. Thinking more about this topic - It's not a "white" club. Caucasians as a race have a ton in common. Now, I know Wiki's not 100% reliable, but"

Wikipedia article on history of Caucasian

Quote:
The term "Caucasian" originated as one of the racial categories recognized by 19th century craniology and is derived from the region of the Caucasus mountains
I think it'd be great to have a club dedicated to discussing the history of the Caucaus people and how diverse we/they have become.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:09 AM

236 posts, read 442,023 times
Quote:
I'm not. The sentence you probably got thsis from was:

Yes, I know that not all blacks condone using the "n" word no matter what the context is. I'm just saying that if they do - they don't usually get fired from their job or get publicly flamed.

And, actually, a caucasian club doesn't seem to be a problem to me. Thinking more about this topic - It's not a "white" club. Caucasians as a race have a ton in common. Now, I know Wiki's not 100% reliable, but"

Wikipedia article on history of Caucasian

I think it'd be great to have a club dedicated to discussing the history of the Caucaus people and how diverse we/they have become.

That is actually interesting. Something I did not know. Of course wikipedia is not recognized by most learning institutions but I think it basically gave a summary of the meaning. I love history in general. I am most interested in the American Indians. I would love to take a class on the history of American Indians. On a side note I love historical romance books and they portray the male indians as so...... sexy.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:28 AM

[quote=Kuharai;1715898]I'm not. The sentence you probably got thsis from was:

Once again, I stand corrected, I thought you were saying you were a White African who immigrated to America...Thus making you an African American who isn't black...i was wrong...

Old 10-12-2007, 11:36 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinasgt2005 View Post
That is actually interesting. Something I did not know. Of course wikipedia is not recognized by most learning institutions but I think it basically gave a summary of the meaning. I love history in general. I am most interested in the American Indians. I would love to take a class on the history of American Indians. On a side note I love historical romance books and they portray the male indians as so...... sexy.
No, Wikipedia is not exactly recognized by most learning institutions, but that article makes references and provides sources for much of the information - credible sources that would actually make for good discussion into history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Once again, I stand corrected, I thought you were saying you were a White African who immigrated to America...Thus making you an African American who isn't black...i was wrong...
Don't be sad!!! I'm surrounded by this big shadow of gloom here at work. I don't need it here too! The reason I made mention of White Africans is because I helped tutor one in my senior year of high school.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
No, Wikipedia is not exactly recognized by most learning institutions, but that article makes references and provides sources for much of the information - credible sources that would actually make for good discussion into history.

Don't be sad!!! I'm surrounded by this big shadow of gloom here at work. I don't need it here too! The reason I made mention of White Africans is because I helped tutor one in my senior year of high school.
Yeah I used to date a girl from South Africa who was white...Long distance relation ships just never work out...lol..well she wasnt IN Africa when we were dating, but I did leave the state we both attended school in, and thats just never a good thing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies