Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 07:01 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,342,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
I disagree with the notion that providing money to schools won't improve their situation, have you seen an inner city school? Some of then look like they haven't been maintained in years. I went to a middle school that was literally falling apart.
And yet most "inner" city schools get way more money per student then other schools with much better performance.

U.S. GAO - School Finance: Per-Pupil Spending Differences between Selected Inner City and Suburban Schools Varied by Metropolitan Area

Not all inner city schools get more, but on average, inner city kids get more money spent on them then others elsewhere, and it doesn't help.

If the inner city school is great, then give those parents a voucher and let them choose that great school. If that money isn't getting their kid anywhere, then let them spend it elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 07:03 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,326,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
While I agree that not all kids should go to college, the reason that all should take the PSAT is that scores for the PSAT taken as a sophomore are the scores that qualify kids for National Merit Scholarships. I wish Illinois had required it. Illinois students are required to take the ACT as part of the Prairie State Exams, but the PSAT and ACT are two very different tests. I'm guessing that FL requires the PSAT because otherwise, just like my son, they might miss out on what could potentially be scholarship dollars... ??
Qualifying scores for the NMSC are earned in a student's junior year, not sophomore.
Quote:
Students who plan to spend four years in high school (grades 9 through 12) before entering college full time must take the PSAT/NMSQT in their third year (grade 11, junior year). They will be entering the competition that ends when awards are offered in the spring of their fourth high school year (grade 12, senior year), the same year they will leave high school and enter college.
Although some schools encourage their sophomores to take the PSAT/NMSQT for guidance purposes, these students must take the test again when they are juniors to enter NMSC's competitions if they are spending the usual four years of study in grades 9 through 12. National Merit Scholarship Corporation - Entering the Competitions
The mandatory PSAT for 10th graders in Florida is a huge money maker for the College Board - I'm sure someone got a nice kick-back when the contract was signed.

11th grade students who take the PSAT are tested separately and under a much tighter testing situation.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Like I said, throwing money at a bad parent problem, has never once shown any success.
How do you know? Are you a public school teacher or administrator? Give us some facts that support your ridiculous assertion...

Old 10-22-2012, 07:08 PM

552 posts, read 736,655 times
Quote:
And yet most "inner" city schools get way more money per student then other schools with much better performance.

U.S. GAO - School Finance: Per-Pupil Spending Differences between Selected Inner City and Suburban Schools Varied by Metropolitan Area

Not all inner city schools get more, but on average, inner city kids get more money spent on them then others elsewhere, and it doesn't help.

If the inner city school is great, then give those parents a voucher and let them choose that great school. If that money isn't getting their kid anywhere, then let them spend it elsewhere.
Money is a part of it, but yes there are a lot of slices to the pie.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
How do you know? Are you a public school teacher or administrator? Give us some facts that support your ridiculous assertion...

I just posted the link, inner city schools get more money per student, but show less results for that money.

It doesn't work. Parents spend the money better then even the state and local government.

Want to increase education spending? Fine, but let parents decide where it goes, the government has never shown they have a better idea of where to spend that money then the parents of the kids do. Unless of course they have poor parents who don't care about their kids, and throwing money at bad parenting isn't going to work either.

Bad parenting means you don't love your kids. There are single mothers/fathers, working two jobs, and still make sure their kids do their homework, and still make sure their kids are getting good grades.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I just posted the link, inner city schools get more money per student, but show less results for that money.

It doesn't work. Parents spend the money better then even the state and local government.

Want to increase education spending? Fine, but let parents decide where it goes, the government has never shown they have a better idea of where to spend that money then the parents of the kids do. Unless of course they have poor parents who don't care about their kids, and throwing money at bad parenting isn't going to work either.

Bad parenting means you don't love your kids. There are single mothers/fathers, working two jobs, and still make sure their kids do their homework, and still make sure their kids are getting good grades.
You said that there "has never once been a success." You are wrong. I have witnessed many success stories with students who you are ready to abandon, accomplished by throwing money not at bad parenting, but at kids with potential.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
You said that there "has never once been a success." You are wrong. I have witnessed many success stories with students who you are ready to abandon, accomplished by throwing money not at bad parenting, but at kids with potential.

Show me where its been successful.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Do you have a link for that quote?
Sorry, thought it was in there:
Dissent Magazine - Winter 2011 Issue - Got Dough? How Billion...

Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
It's not the schools.

It's the population.

Not politically correct, but the dumb and lazy breed faster than the responsible and ambitious.

Our popular media makes heroes out of celebrities instead of real achievers.

It's not the teachers, schools, or spending. It's the society we have become. Pretty much every problem they are trying to tax and regulate us out of (wealth gap, obesity, health care 'crisis,' mortgage defaults, etc) can be traced back to the fast food, lazy, entitled p.o.s. society we have become.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:23 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,400,602 times
Quote:
Outliers. In aggregate it doesn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies