Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 08:30 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Outliers. In aggregate it doesn't work.
Every student deserves a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 08:35 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I still think the problem is many parents just don't want to sit at the table with their children, night after night, for years to help them study.
Agree.

[especially with the bolded text]

Old 10-23-2012, 03:58 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
How do you know? Are you a public school teacher or administrator? Give us some facts that support your ridiculous assertion...
Second time I posted the link.

Money And School Performance: Lessons from the Kansas City Desegregation Experiment

It's (throwing money) has been tried and it failed.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:06 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
The American educational system is famous world wide for turning out dull individuals...The empire could not function nor could it plunder if America's system turned out bright people...Those taken advantage of and exploited by America must first be de-humanized in order to unite the people to action...Look at Bush...He could not even point out an area on the planet to be invaded on the map...cos' those exploited really do not exist as people..they are things.

40 years ago I was in Arizona and went for a swim...some of the kids in the pool asked where I was from...When I said Canada...They did not know where that was...."Is that some where up by Washington?"

Old 10-23-2012, 05:14 AM

200 posts, read 165,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
A lot of times we don't want to look at our education compared on a global scale.

The other countries only let the smart ones to go college. Here..everyone is a winner and goes to college, even if they don't have the ability or the skills. The other countries separate the kids between academic or vocational.
Here...we just hand diplomas to kids and send them off to college because, why we are the US and all our kids are brain surgeons.

And that is why we are 25 out of 34. The bar has to be lowered so the kids that have ZERO ability for college "feel good" about themselves and can pass. They still can't read or do math, but by golly they have a college degree !!
Is that why our colleges consistently rank highest in the world? Or is that why about 30% of adults over 25 have a college degree?

No, not everyone goes to college. I find it actually really odd that you made that statement as it is patently false.

I agree that we need more vocational education, but I seriously do not agree with the track method of separating students as you then further entrench class differences.

This is what happens in these nations. In Korea, only a handful of high schools send students to the top universities. Middle tier high schools send their graduates to the middle tier schools. Guess what is the most interesting about this system? You can actually pinpoint where the schools are on a map of the highest concentration of tutors. The best schools are, not surprisingly in the best districts...full of tutors. The worst schools, that send their kids to vocational schools, are in the worst parts of town.

Parity is achieved not when you disparage the poor, but rather by trying to achieve educational equality.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unounehana View Post
Is that why our colleges consistently rank highest in the world? Or is that why about 30% of adults over 25 have a college degree?

No, not everyone goes to college. I find it actually really odd that you made that statement as it is patently false.

I agree that we need more vocational education, but I seriously do not agree with the track method of separating students as you then further entrench class differences.

This is what happens in these nations. In Korea, only a handful of high schools send students to the top universities. Middle tier high schools send their graduates to the middle tier schools. Guess what is the most interesting about this system? You can actually pinpoint where the schools are on a map of the highest concentration of tutors. The best schools are, not surprisingly in the best districts...full of tutors. The worst schools, that send their kids to vocational schools, are in the worst parts of town.

Parity is achieved not when you disparage the poor, but rather by trying to achieve educational equality.
Here in the US, we do push them to all go to college.
Less than 50% that enter a 4 year college graduate. Less than 30% that enter a 2 year college graduate.
US education, at one time, had a vocational path vs an academic path. 11th and 12th grade were either vocational classes or academic classes. Now they are all pushed to the academic path and encouraged to go to college. Community college is pushed for those that don't have the grades.

Even worse, they are all encouraged to fill out the FAFSA form for government student aid.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:51 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,066,420 times
Quote:
The other countries only let the smart ones to go college. Here..everyone is a winner and goes to college, even if they don't have the ability or the skills.
True. I witnessed universal education in Russia and US - and it's simply a joke.

Quote:
And that is why we are 25 out of 34.
Not necesseraly. International tests are totally pathetic - and they put diverse countries at a huge disadvantage.

I won't be surprised if US (or Russian) education sucks, compared to EU - but such tests don't measure this.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:08 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
A lot of times we don't want to look at our education compared on a global scale.

The other countries only let the smart ones to go college. Here..everyone is a winner and goes to college, even if they don't have the ability or the skills. The other countries separate the kids between academic or vocational.
Here...we just hand diplomas to kids and send them off to college because, why we are the US and all our kids are brain surgeons.

And that is why we are 25 out of 34. The bar has to be lowered so the kids that have ZERO ability for college "feel good" about themselves and can pass. They still can't read or do math, but by golly they have a college degree !!
I wonder if that has a tie in to why our hospitals kill so many people every year with their stupid mistakes? I don't see why it wouldn't.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:21 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unounehana View Post

This is true. Your social status plays a role. It's a lot different than U.S. social structure. But Koreans come here to use our good colleges and are usually at the top of their graduating class. So do others from other countries. That helps our colleges. Koreans have a different work ethic.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:52 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,040,399 times
Quote:
Here..everyone is a winner and goes to college, even if they don't have the ability or the skills. The other countries separate the kids between academic or vocational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
That's because education is not intended to make a generation of smart, objectively thinking, institution questioning and/or creative little innovators.

It's meant to make a generation,...., be comfortable with low expectations for themselves and their very lives.

The Man needs grunts, not smart people... and America's education system excels a pumping out people like that.
Quote:
Until the US admits that everyone is NOT a winner and goes back to vocational vs academic tracks based on ability nothing will change and we will sink lower each year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Let parents send their kids to the schools with the best results.

One things for sure, the more "government" intervention into our education system hasn't made things better. Money can make things better, but it should be allocated by the parents, because they will make a much better decision as where that money is best used at.
Quote:
Thats survival of the fittest. Parents that care have a better chance of successful children already. No amount of throwing money at a failing system fixes poor parents.
Quote:
The problem with "no child left behind", is that it punishes students who do well, and usually have good parents. The problem with throwing good money after bad, is that schools in parts of the country where they are performing poorly get a lot of money thrown at them and they don't get results. Then a small school in the country, with good results, doesn't get that extra money.

Money doesn't fix education when it comes from the government. Give it to the parents, and they will spend it much more wisely then the "government"
Chango, Happy & Memphis, all I can add to your observations are, excellent posts!

My fellow Americans, you cannot look to the 2 party duopoly to solve problems, because they seem to be determined to only make them worse. Only way to get sensible Americans who actually have concern of American people over party is to increase the numbers of registered Independents & start strongly supporting 3rd parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies