Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 02:39 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,603,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Here, let me help you get started.

"Viability determines the beginning of human life because ____________________." (Please fill in the blank.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQFE...eature=related
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 03:20 PM

990 posts, read 938,660 times
Quote:
Please show me where "science" says that human life begins at viability - and WHY. A link would be nice. Thanks a bunch.

Here's 2,500 OB-GYNs who say that human life begins at conception.
Your own silly bible says that life begins at the first breath

After God formed man in Genesis 2:7, He “breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and it was then that the man became a living being”. Although the man was fully formed by God in all respects, he was not a living being until after taking his first breath.

In Job 33:4, it states: “The spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life.”

Again, to quote Ezekiel 37:5&6, “Thus says the Lord God to these bones: Behold, I will cause breath to enter you, and you shall live. And I will lay sinews upon you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and you shall live; and you shall know that I am the Lord.”

In Exodus 21:22 it states that if a man causes a woman to have a miscarriage, he shall be fined; however, if the woman dies then he will be put to death. It should be apparent from this that the aborted fetus is not considered a living human being since the resulting punishment for the abortion is nothing more than a fine; it is not classified by the bible as a capital offense.

Even using your crazy superstitions based on your silly book, life begins when man takes a breath, not before.

Quote:

It's an astounding lack of logic that you can't tell me why it matters.
It matters because you say that "life begins at conception" when it clearly does not. Life is not life if it cannot survive. Detach a fetus from the mother and it withers away and dies because it's not a viable life form. This is basic 5th grade science. You finished elementary school, right?

It all boils down to the fact that you are unable to understand that forcing a woman to endure 9 months of agony because you are part of a powerful cult is wrong and evil. You are evil for trying to torture women because you want to push your beliefs on them.

Do you believe that an Erection must result in a pregnancy?
Is premature ejaculation or nocturnal emmission a crime in your eyes?
What about masturbation?
When does conception begin? After all, every sperm in my body has the chance to become a life...

Old 10-25-2012, 03:27 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
Please show me where "science" says that human life begins at viability - and WHY. A link would be nice. Thanks a bunch.

Here's 2,500 OB-GYNs who say that human life begins at conception.

It's an astounding lack of logic that you can't tell me why it matters.
Life, by their definition, is when any organism is a cell, and that cell divides.

So my finger nails are alive, I guess I shouldn't cut them. But if I do cut it, it can not exist with me, the host organism. Much like zygot can not live without its host.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Your own silly bible says that life begins at the first breath

After God formed man in Genesis 2:7, He “breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and it was then that the man became a living being”. Although the man was fully formed by God in all respects, he was not a living being until after taking his first breath.

In Job 33:4, it states: “The spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life.”

Again, to quote Ezekiel 37:5&6, “Thus says the Lord God to these bones: Behold, I will cause breath to enter you, and you shall live. And I will lay sinews upon you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and you shall live; and you shall know that I am the Lord.”

In Exodus 21:22 it states that if a man causes a woman to have a miscarriage, he shall be fined; however, if the woman dies then he will be put to death. It should be apparent from this that the aborted fetus is not considered a living human being since the resulting punishment for the abortion is nothing more than a fine; it is not classified by the bible as a capital offense.

Even using your crazy superstitions based on your silly book, life begins when man takes a breath, not before.
This is all so beyond ridiculous it doesn't merit a response. Bible scholar you ain't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Life is not life if it cannot survive. Detach a fetus from the mother and it withers away and dies because it's not a viable life form.
Detach a heart patient from his pacemaker and he withers away and dies.

Detach a kidney patient from his dialysis machine and he withers away and dies.

Detach a pneumonia patient from his respirator and he withers away and dies.

Detach a hypertension patient from his medicine and he withers away and dies.

Detach a nursing infant from his mother or caretakers and he withers away and dies.

And these people are not living? I guess not, because in your own words - "Life is not life if it cannot survive".

Don't give me your "viability vs. survival on their own" bull crap. You need to explain why the difference matters. Thus far you haven't even tried because, quite frankly, you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Life, by their definition, is when any organism is a cell, and that cell divides.

So my finger nails are alive, I guess I shouldn't cut them. But if I do cut it, it can not exist with me, the host organism. Much like zygot can not live without its host.
Could you possibly come up with a weaker straw man?

2,500 physicians believe that fingernails are human beings?

Old 10-25-2012, 03:47 PM

Let's try this again ...

Quote:
Here, let me help you get started.

"Viability determines the beginning of human life because ____________________." (Please fill in the blank.)
You claimed that "science" supports this view. "Science": that's your word, your claim. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that you fill in the blank with something scientific.

I'm gone for the day, will check back in the morning for your answer. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Could you possibly come up with a weaker straw man?

2,500 physicians believe that fingernails are human beings?

Its not a straw man, its using the scientific definition of "life" in which you seemed to be so happy to champion ealier.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its not a straw man, its using the scientific definition of "life" in which you seemed to be so happy to champion ealier.
There are two elements that create a human life: 1. Humanity; 2. Life.

Try to follow me here.

Houseplants are living, but they are not human. A dead man is human, but he is not living. The question is whether an embryo at conception is a human life. 2,500 OB-GYNs publicly affirm that an embryo at conception is a human life. That does not imply that your fingernail is a human life, or that male sperm is a human life, or that anything else at all is a human life. Clear enough?

Old 10-25-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:

Try to follow me here.

Houseplants are living, but they are not human. A dead man is human, but he is not living. The question is whether an embryo at conception is a human life. 2,500 OB-GYNs publicly affirm that human life begins at conception. That does not imply that your fingernail is a human life, or that male sperm is a human life, or that anything else at all is a human life. Clear enough?

A division of cells, with no brain, is as much a human as a hand without a body. Its not alive.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:58 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,226 times
Quote:

Try to follow me here.

Houseplants are living, but they are not human. A dead man is human, but he is not living. The question is whether an embryo at conception is a human life. 2,500 OB-GYNs publicly affirm that an embryo at conception is a human life. That does not imply that your fingernail is a human life, or that male sperm is a human life, or that anything else at all is a human life. Clear enough?
By definition, sperm is human life, Einstein. What you people do is arbitrarily select conception as the point at which "human life begins." You say it all the time. Of course, the process of creating a new human being begins long before that. I have no doubt that someday the anti-abortion zealots will move the yardsticks back, prior to conception. It will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies