Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 05:58 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times

Advertisements

I heard a brilliant caller express this thought on the Todd Schnitt talk show today. Implicit in the whole 'war on women' dustup is that all women are concerned about is abortion and contraception.

As if to say 'you women get back to your clinic (kitchen). You worry about abortion (cooking). Don't you worry your pretty head bout no economics or foreign policy. You leave that to us menfolk.'

Republicans by contrast don't regard abortion as a "women's issue." Nor do we obversely regard economics and foreign policy as a men's issue. We don't slice & dice people into identity groups like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 06:20 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Good for you, but this is a rather simplistic interpretation of the debate. Do you think because a woman cares about female-related issues (and yes, abortion IS mostly a woman's problem - considering men have the option of avoidance), that means we don't ALSO care about non-female-specific issues? Nobody has told me I can only worry about one thing, so why can't I be worried about economics and foreign policy too? I guess you think only Republicans have the right solutions to those problems, but obviously there are many who disagree... so please stop assuming that if a woman cares about women's issues, and plans to vote Dem, they are thus ignoring everything else on the plate. I am way more offended by that assumption of yours, FYI.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:27 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I heard a brilliant caller express this thought on the Todd Schnitt talk show today. Implicit in the whole 'war on women' dustup is that all women are concerned about is abortion and contraception.

As if to say 'you women get back to your clinic (kitchen). You worry about abortion (cooking). Don't you worry your pretty head bout no economics or foreign policy. You leave that to us menfolk.'

Republicans by contrast don't regard abortion as a "women's issue." Nor do we obversely regard economics and foreign policy as a men's issue. We don't slice & dice people into identity groups like that.
Well, let's face it: men are more naturally drawn to worldly problems and issues, and women to issues of home and hearth. That's perfectly normal. Exceptions come along here and there, but there's no reason why we should pretend those exceptions are the rule.

We can thank women's suffrage for politicizing home and hearth issues.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:35 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Well, let's face it: men are more naturally drawn to worldly problems and issues, and women to issues of home and hearth. That's perfectly normal. Exceptions come along here and there, but there's no reason why we should pretend those exceptions are the rule.

We can thank women's suffrage for politicizing home and hearth issues.
Do you honestly believe this tripe?

Old 10-22-2012, 06:35 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Good for you, but this is a rather simplistic interpretation of the debate. Do you think because a woman cares about female-related issues (and yes, abortion IS mostly a woman's problem - considering men have the option of avoidance), that means we don't ALSO care about non-female-specific issues? Nobody has told me I can only worry about one thing, so why can't I be worried about economics and foreign policy too? I guess you think only Republicans have the right solutions to those problems, but obviously there are many who disagree... so please stop assuming that if a woman cares about women's issues, and plans to vote Dem, they are thus ignoring everything else on the plate. I am way more offended by that assumption of yours, FYI.
Thanks for reply. But I can't agree that "abortion is mostly a woman's issue." It is mostly a life issue, and btw I am of the pro-choice persuation.

Do you really deny that the Democrats messaging in this campaign has framed as segregating "women's issues." And isn't that inherently sexist? If something is an an issue, it should be an issue for all Americans, not just one group.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:46 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Thanks for reply. But I can't agree that "abortion is mostly a woman's issue." It is mostly a life issue, and btw I am of the pro-choice persuation.
In the big picture, yes it is a "life issue" - but as I said, only MEN have the option of avoiding & running away from the actual situation. If I found out I was pregnant today, and my boyfriend wanted nothing to do with it, he could simply flee... I would not have that option, as the pregnancy would be growing inside of my body. No matter how much I may want to avoid it, a decision would eventually HAVE to be made by me.

Keep in mind, that doesn't mean I don't believe men should have opinions on abortion - and of course, I think it's great if a man does care! I'm just saying we're the ones carrying the pregnancy, and cannot wish it away or pretend it doesn't exist (a luxury reserved for the male). Thus, it makes perfect sense that we'd be more concerned about its legality. Right?

Quote:
Do you really deny that the Democrats messaging in this campaign has framed as segregating "women's issues." And isn't that inherently sexist? If something is an an issue, it should be an issue for all Americans, not just one group.
I agree that has been a focus in this election, but no, I don't agree it is "sexist." Men are allowed to care about these issues too, and as I said earlier, women can also decide to care about other issues. I'm concerned about women's healthcare, sex education in schools, birth control availability, and keeping abortion legal... does that mean I don't also care about the economy, foreign relations, etc? The only sexist attitude is assuming we do not, or that we're only capable of focusing on one thing at a time. Women are excellent multi-taskers, after all. LOL.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Men should be much more concerned about abortion than they are, but unfortunately this is 2012 and the lights are fading fast. When it comes to human nature alone, sans reason and responsibility, men are one body removed from the question.

Quote:
Do you really deny that the Democrats messaging in this campaign has framed as segregating "women's issues."
I certainly don't deny that. And you're right to point out their hypocrisy.

Quote:
And isn't that inherently sexist?
I suppose so, though I'm not sure what "sexist" really means these days. To the extent it that simply acknowledges sex differences, it doesn't bother me in the least. To the extent that it exploits sex differences, that's another problem but it's not "sexism".

Quote:
If something is an an issue, it should be an issue for all Americans, not just one group.
You mean Americans should vote based on the common good and not just their own personal or group interests? I agree entirely. They should, but they don't, and our system doesn't encourage them to.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 10-22-2012 at 08:08 PM..

Old 10-22-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Do you honestly believe this tripe?
What's not to believe about it? It's always been true and remains true today.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,453,158 times
Quote:

Maybe it has something to do with putting the dogma aside, and listening to what WOMEN actually say are their most important issues...

Old 10-22-2012, 07:46 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
What's not to believe about it? It's always been true and remains true today.
Perhaps on your planet it is......here in the real world, we have moved just a bit beyond such appallingly paternalistic attitudes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies