Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 08:33 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Where is Romney going to find all those horses to replace the tanks?

Old 10-24-2012, 08:33 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
You guys are going to give me aneurysm. Obama said that their is no more need to have hundreds, if not thousands, of naval ships since modern day navies are just as capable to strike with smaller, specialized, fleets. As a sailor you know that.

And Obama did not say that horses and bayonets are completely gone from the military, just that we have less of them because there is less of a need for them in a modern military.

Heck, I work for the Navy and WE know that we don't need all those ships. The only people thinking we need all those ships are defense contractors who stand to make a lot of money building them.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,813,287 times
Hey- MY dad was one of the last in Russia to be trained in the use of a sword while on horse back...talk about actually knowing someone from another era....I still remember him showing the moves...There was a certain pattern used while in a full gallop...slice right - slice left - thrust...slice left slice right thrust. I guess the move came from mounted combat on a crowded and frantic field.. Just thought I would mention the story.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
WE understand perfectly.

The president is so out of touch that he doesn't comprehend the types of weapons used by our military.
Ok, you guys are all being purposefully dense, right?

If you perfectly understand that the man said FEWER bayonets, then you understand it does not mean NONE.

And if you get that, then it clearly implies that Obama is not denying that bayonets are still used by the military.

I have no idea what is wrong with all of you... This is really not that hard.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:41 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz
One of the main features of the 1994 "assault weapons" ban was the prohibition of bayonet lugs, or bayonet attachment points, on rifles.

Pres. Obama has repeatedly stated his support for that law.

So which is it--bayonets are obsolete and no longer relevant, a la catapult, spear, etc. Or a deadly weapon that is ravaging our streets and must be banned? Which?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
'94 AWB is no longer valid in most States as of Sep '04. Also M16 A2/3 were never effected as they were Government property and already Class III.

I know that, but the point is just that Pres. Obama has stated his support for reinstating the law, as recently as in the debates. My point is just that he contradicts himself, implying on one hand that bayonets are obsolete in today's military, while on the other hand it is necessary to keep rifles that can accept a bayonet, out of civilian hands.

A case could be made that Obama managed to semi-contradict himself while being wrong on both hands. Bayonets are still used in the military, but have never been much used in domestic crime. I guess you could say it was a lose-lose-lose situation for the prez when he made that comment.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I know that, but the point is just that Pres. Obama has stated his support for reinstating the law, as recently as in the debates. My point is just that he contradicts himself, implying on one hand that bayonets are obsolete in today's military, while on the other hand it is necessary to keep rifles that can accept a bayonet, out of civilian hands.

A case could be made that Obama managed to semi-contradict himself while being wrong on both hands. Bayonets are still used in the military, but have never been much used in domestic crime. I guess you could say it was a lose-lose-lose situation for the prez when he made that comment.
Spin, spin, spin.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:45 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

First "fewer" equal "none" and now it equals "obsolete?"

Wow. Just wow.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:47 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Sigh. So, do you think the Military should spend more money buying more bayonets and horses?
That is not what I said, and that is not what obama said.

What did obama say? There are fewer bayonets today? Yes or no answer? This should be simple even for you.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:51 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Where is Romney going to find all those horses to replace the tanks?
I guess Obama will use tanks to pull caskets now instead of horses.

I guess he will use tanks instead of horses in the mountains of Afghanistan. Oh, wait. they CAN"T use tanks. That is why they use horses.

Since we now, and have had, air craft carriers for years, we don't need all the battleships and destroyers and other support ships we have been using for years.

THAT is why it is called a "battle group".

Obama's LACK of knowledge on how the military works is astounding.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:57 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,672 times
Do people not understand the English language to know that "fewer" is NOT the same thing as "none?" Are people's English skills THAT awful, or do they really know the difference and are acting as if they are the same intentionally being disingenuous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies