Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 10:22 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,920,297 times

Advertisements

"MEXICO CITY (AP) — At a busy intersection, a girl with a high half ponytail looks at you as she begs for coins. There is dirt beneath her fingernails and her pink shirt looks unwashed. The image in the photo could fit thousands of impoverished Mexican children who sell gum or beg for money in the streets, but for one thing: The girl in this picture is blonde.
The flurry of internet attention to the photo, and the quick way officials reacted, has renewed a debate about racism in Mexico, a nation that is proud of its mestizo heritage but where millions of indigenous people live in poverty and passers-by often barely notice the dark-skinned children begging in the street."

Case of blonde girl beggar strikes nerve in Mexico - Yahoo! News

This all but proves Mexico's racism against dark skin people going by the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 10:29 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,510,566 times
It's a 5-year-old child...

There are a lot of blondes in Guadalajara...

This proves nothing.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:01 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,842,857 times
I"m sure it's true that the good looking beggars get far more money.

It's all about human narcissism.

we like to get a smile from a pretty girl even if she's begging, but we'd rather do without the ugly old hag or man.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:29 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,851,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
...This all but proves Mexico's racism against dark skin people going by the article.
No, it proves that someone that hasn't been to Mexico themselves will make a sociological opinion of them from a single article on the Internet fitting their bias...

Old 10-27-2012, 11:31 PM

however, the top jobs in many Latin countries do tend go to those with the paler skin.

so that seems fairly racist in itself.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:42 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,139,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
No, it proves that someone that hasn't been to Mexico themselves will make a sociological opinion of them from a single article on the Internet fitting their bias...
Your post has my seal of approval, because. it's true. Well said----------

Old 10-27-2012, 11:52 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,172,687 times
Here is the photo of the child.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:22 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,175,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
"MEXICO CITY (AP) — At a busy intersection, a girl with a high half ponytail looks at you as she begs for coins. There is dirt beneath her fingernails and her pink shirt looks unwashed. The image in the photo could fit thousands of impoverished Mexican children who sell gum or beg for money in the streets, but for one thing: The girl in this picture is blonde.
The flurry of internet attention to the photo, and the quick way officials reacted, has renewed a debate about racism in Mexico, a nation that is proud of its mestizo heritage but where millions of indigenous people live in poverty and passers-by often barely notice the dark-skinned children begging in the street."

Case of blonde girl beggar strikes nerve in Mexico - Yahoo! News

This all but proves Mexico's racism against dark skin people going by the article.

Directed towards the OP..

Unfortunately this is nothing new despite the age of the child
It is widely known by Mexican’s whom are from Mexico that a caste system exists based on the color gradient.
That states the lighter the hair, skin and eyes the better one is seen.

Before I add my personal opinion I will add these articles..

Skin Color Linked to Social Inequality in Contemporary Mexico, Study Shows | News

Mexicans of European descent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is very true when applied to my family.
I have no stake in this btw since I am not Mexican I was adopted and my background is California Native American and Half Irish.
Had to state this as a disclaimer since most will usually try to make this relevant to my personal experience.

My mother is a very light skinned Mexican. I mean Hilary Clinton White ( Now that she is older she resembles the former first lady) very light hair and light eyes. My mother comes from a family of 4 sibs 2 girls and 2 boys and they all have light hair and light eyes ( My uncles were blonde hair blued eyed) only one sister came out “Morenita” The second to the youngest, dark skin and dark eyes.
My grandmother did not raise my aunt my mother and uncle did..She was seen as the “black sheep”
She holds a lot of resentments towards me grandparents…
Aside from this all my mothers cousins were blonde haired blue eyed or brown hair and green eyed.
My grandmother use to tell my mother not to talk to the indigenous looking children in their township.
The poor kids basically. My mother was born with a silver spoon in her mouth, having more Spanish blood and some of her family members having old money on my grandfathers side they all inherited, rich in land, all the children got land parcels and they are still sitting on undeveloped gold mines.
My mother looks down on the Oaxacan’s that often illegally come here..stating that Americans must think that all MEXICAN’S are like this, dirty, dark, act like them and so forth.
It is disgusting…especially since I often wonder why she married my dad since he has dark skin and his whole family does and they were migrant farm workers?
Yet even though my father came here illegally on his dads shoulders ( My papa) back in the mid-40’s my father was a drill Sgt in the Vietnam war, he gained his citizenship and attended Cal Poly university obtained his Bachelors all provided by the G.I. Bill and went on to work at the Dept of corrections as a CO and is now Captain due to his hard work. He is 67 and still works hard everyday and makes about 10,000.0 a month.
After 30 some years of service.
Yet she is to proud to become a citizen and has her resident card that was not grueled over since her family has money she was given her resident card within months of applying and met my dad in HS.?
My grandpa had friends in high places due to his station and his wealth which I believe all had to do with caste system.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,315,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemdiver View Post
here is the photo of the child.

omg they kidnapped honey boo boo!

Old 10-28-2012, 02:24 AM

and it's exactly the same out where I live - In South East Asia, white skin is the thing they all want to have.

top jobs go to those of paler complexion without a doubt

many women use whitening cream etc..

the 'pretty girls and boys' must be pale - ridiculous really to be racist towards your own people!

retarded in fact
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies