Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 04:16 PM

37,953 posts, read 22,057,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Excuse me....i don't look at America the way a 3 year old looks at his mother. I didn't say that we've never done good things, but we've done bad things too. And acknowledging the fact that we've done bad things isn't apologizing.

We were quite dismissive of political opinion in Western Europe in the run-up to the invasion of Iraq. The French and German opinions were dismissed out of hand by the American political establishment, and we got major egg on our faces, didn't we? Turns out they were right.

So don't say that we're not dismissive....or arrogant. Freedom Fries? Does that ring a bell?
We are supposed to neuter ourselves, by never doing anything unless every nation agrees with us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 05:54 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,500,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armystrongmd View Post
If Obama wins again I am seriously considering moving to another country. I know that sounds crazy, but if my wife spent all my money and then wanted me to cosign for a loan to borrow more I'd leave her too.
We have to cut spending, lets start with the bloated military and intelligence budget. Trimming 80% of it would be a good start. Anyone who is staunch pro-military is in fact pro-big government.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:59 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,401,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
We have to cut spending, lets start with the bloated military and intelligence budget. Trimming 80% of it would be a good start. Anyone who is staunch pro-military is in fact pro-big government.
The military is part of the discretionary budget. That can be cut at anytime.

The part that's destroying this country is the MANDATORY spending to the tune of $100+ trillion that we don't have any never will have.

That is unless you're one of those idiots that believes the U.S. economy will be $1,000,000,000,000,000 when those bills come due.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:10 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,238,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
This is all BS.

America does need to access the oil rich central Asian countries in order to allow it's citizens to sustain their current lifestyle.

As more than one poster has pointed out, Central Asia has more oil than all of MENA.

When the pipelines are completed and millions of barrels are being produced and sold in other than American dollars, the US economy will crash. Especially considering that Social Security and Medicare are insolvent which will take money out of the economy when it crashes, and the fact that we cannot compete globally because US wages are too high.

Additionally, if the debt is downgraded, how will the US fund its spending spree?

The fact is, if Americans want to sustain their lifestyle, Iran must become more friendly with the US and allow us to build infrastructure.

And for the record, I'm not the originator of these statements, so I'm not going to take credit, but it's logical and makes sense.

So I'm assuming Obama knows this unless 1) his head is buried in the sand, 2) he is unwilling to murder people for US gain and will accept recession, 3) he is afraid of Russia's superior firepower and ability to destroy the US and all of it's triad forces in moments, and will accept recession.
What? Canada and the U.S. have the largest Oil Reserves in the world it is just not Light sweet crude but harder to Refine Heavy Oil but super fracking has made it posilbe to start to develop the Bakken which is a tight oil play and also the U.S, has 40% of the worlds military might.

I mean what is MENA in the West it is called it OPEC and hewre is a map of the world Oil Reserves Canada has the Artic reserves but heck we have a glut of Natural Gas in North america and we have so much oil that we have maxed out our current pipelone capacity and also have a Glut of Oil in a pnch point tthat makes it hard to get it to the refinery to be processed inCushing,Ok.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:29 PM

37,953 posts, read 22,057,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
well, obama still doesnt have a foreign policy. not unless you consider being apologetic to every other country else to be a foreign policy.
Considering Romney has little to none, and he still tied 0bama in a debate over national security, it goes to show what an imbecile 0bama is on the subject.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:48 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,808,511 times
I don't care for either one. They are more the same than different. They both believe in Democracy in the Middle East (they don't realize radical islam is the will of the people)., pro-Arab spring, pro-Syrian rebels etc.

That being said, on all issues other than foreign policy I prefer Romney over Obama

Old 10-24-2012, 09:51 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,442,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Romney suggests that we should foster relationships with countries in the middleast. In other words, he wants to "install" American interests by removing the governments in Syria and Iran. He also says that Russia is a geo-political enemy and he intends on taking coarses of actions against them, either politically or economically or both.

Obama on the other hand says that we need to foster relationships with Russia. He wants to focus on organizations like Al Queda, and remove our troops from the region, and focus on the economy at home.

It occured to me that Obama has access to information that is not privy to Romney and he has come to realize that Russia would destroy us if we took actions against them and overthrow the government of Iran. Romeny doesn't realize this and is focusing on buildign infrastructure in Iran in order to build infrastrucure and foster relationships with the countries surrounding Iran.

Does this sound accurate? Is it impossible for America to recover? Now, I understand that recovery comes at a great cost which will ensue in bloodshed and corruption, but I also realize that it is necessary for American's to sustain their current lifestyle.

If it's true that Russia is far too powerful and has checkmated America, are we forced to accept our demise which will be long term recession, and perhaps, a short term unraveling of domestic society?

At the end of the day, it appears like Obama is capitulating. I don't believe that he's an evil man, and I doubt he's a mole, so he's probably backed into a corner. There is no turning back. I suppose we have to accept our fate. Maybe it won't be so bad.

We can only pray.
Did you watch the debate? Romney essentially agreed with every stance Obama had in regards to foreign policy. Obama calls for sanctions against Iran...Romney? Very tough sanctions against Iran.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies