Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 05:52 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,300,855 times

Advertisements

Romney suggests that we should foster relationships with countries in the middleast. In other words, he wants to "install" American interests by removing the governments in Syria and Iran. He also says that Russia is a geo-political enemy and he intends on taking coarses of actions against them, either politically or economically or both.

Obama on the other hand says that we need to foster relationships with Russia. He wants to focus on organizations like Al Queda, and remove our troops from the region, and focus on the economy at home.

It occured to me that Obama has access to information that is not privy to Romney and he has come to realize that Russia would destroy us if we took actions against them and overthrow the government of Iran. Romeny doesn't realize this and is focusing on buildign infrastructure in Iran in order to build infrastrucure and foster relationships with the countries surrounding Iran.

Does this sound accurate? Is it impossible for America to recover? Now, I understand that recovery comes at a great cost which will ensue in bloodshed and corruption, but I also realize that it is necessary for American's to sustain their current lifestyle.

If it's true that Russia is far too powerful and has checkmated America, are we forced to accept our demise which will be long term recession, and perhaps, a short term unraveling of domestic society?

At the end of the day, it appears like Obama is capitulating. I don't believe that he's an evil man, and I doubt he's a mole, so he's probably backed into a corner. There is no turning back. I suppose we have to accept our fate. Maybe it won't be so bad.

We can only pray.

Last edited by Del Boy; 10-23-2012 at 06:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 06:25 PM

Did anyone listen to the debate and attempt to read between the lines?

Old 10-23-2012, 06:26 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,192,949 times
well, obama still doesnt have a foreign policy. not unless you consider being apologetic to every other country else to be a foreign policy.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:26 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
By my count neither.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
well, obama still doesnt have a foreign policy. not unless you consider being apologetic to every other country else to be a foreign policy.
Maybe he has his back against the wall.

I seriously doubt that Russia simply let us win the "cold war" that continued after the fall of the Soviet Union.

David didn't beat Goliath by lifting rocks and drinking goat milk shakes. He threw a rock.

Maybe Russia developed a sling shot.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:38 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,882,036 times
Neither. I suggest reading Pat Buchanan's "A Republic, Not an Empire"

Old 10-23-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
By my count neither.
Well, it's important because it's either or.

I suppose if Romney's elected, they'll take him to the back room and show him the truth, and he'll speak some of the same rhetoric Obama is speaking in regards to fostering relationships with Russia and laying off Iran.

When Russia can destroy the entire United States and it's triad forces in a matter of moments, there is nothing the US can do, but capitulate to their foreign policy.

At the end of the day, it is what it is.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,513,717 times
The Washington Consensus doesn't change with a new president. Policies are made no matter who is sitting in the WH. Even if Romney wins next month, I expect little to change in our foreign policy.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:24 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,453,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Well, it's important because it's either or.

I suppose if Romney's elected, they'll take him to the back room and show him the truth, and he'll speak some of the same rhetoric Obama is speaking in regards to fostering relationships with Russia and laying off Iran.

When Russia can destroy the entire United States and it's triad forces in a matter of moments, there is nothing the US can do, but capitulate to their foreign policy.

At the end of the day, it is what it is.
No, Russia can't destroy the U.S. with some sort of unknown weapon or policy.

The main thing Russia could do that would cause another world war would be to hint at getting off the U.S. dollar as the world's reserve currency.

Quote:
The move hurts Iraq, the U.N. and the countries receiving reparations. So why is Saddam doing it? Diplomatic sources say switching to the euro will favor European suppliers over U.S. ones in competing for Iraqi contracts, and the p.r. boost that Baghdad would probably get in Europe would be another plus.
Foreign Exchange: Saddam Turns His Back on Greenbacks - TIME

The real reason...

Quote:
FIRST, the good news: China, the country at the centre of the debate about global imbalances, has a current-account surplus that has fallen sharply over the past few years. Now the bad: China was never really the prime culprit when it comes to imbalances at the global level. The biggest counterpart to America's current-account deficit is the combined surplus of oil-exporting economies, which have enjoyed a huge windfall from high oil prices (see left-hand chart). This year the IMF expects them to run a record surplus of $740 billion, three-fifths of which will come from the Middle East. That will dwarf China's expected surplus of $180 billion. Since 2000 the cumulative surpluses of oil exporters have come to over $4 trillion, twice as much as that of China
Free exchange: Petrodollar profusion | The Economist

You want to see hyperinflation in the U.S. economy let there suddenly be an extra $5 trillion or so in U.S. dollars laying around and nobody wants them.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:32 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,489,397 times
Gary Johnson and Ron Paul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies