Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is America Ready for a Gay President?
Yes 20 17.09%
No 89 76.07%
Maybe a Bisexual President 8 6.84%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 04:11 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,879,773 times

Advertisements

Heck, a gay president? After the last two presidents, I would be ready for a ****ing giraffe as president, so long as the giraffe takes a pair of scissors to the credit card.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:22 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
of course it matters - image is key for public figures.

How would foreign nations look upon a homosexual president?

many would not take him seriously!

It would be a disaster.
You are rewording the OP and asking if the world is ready for a gay president.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:26 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
I can't see it myself, because there's not even been a female president yet.

(apparently Iceland has a lesbian PM?)

anyway, I don't really think it's appropriate to have a leader of men, being homosexual.
The POTUS is a "leader of men?" Cool... then I guess as a woman, I don't have to abide by any of the nation's laws.

Also, why are you assuming this GLBT President would be a man? It could be a lesbian, after all. And as a few others have pointed out, we've most likely already had a gay president - Buchanan and Lincoln come to mind, and they aren't the only ones who were speculated to be gay.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
of course it matters - image is key for public figures.

How would foreign nations look upon a homosexual president?

many would not take him seriously!

It would be a disaster.
Other nations have had gay leaders, in addition to female leaders... seemed to work out okay, but for some reason this supposedly "progressive nation" is falling behind on the diversity train.

Maybe (definitely!) you have some issues with gay people, but hopefully the world's leaders would be more mature than that. Why would it even be an issue? You've used this argument on another thread, and we all pretty much called BS on it then - and will do it again now. These are your hangups, plain and simple. I mean, the same argument could be made for different religious leaders, right? How does a Christian-dominant nation take a Jewish leader seriously? Or a Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, etc? Hmmmm.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I can only speak for myself...and I chime in from time to time. I have my reservations about homosexuality and the scientific rent-seeking behind it...But I could leave well to do alone if the staunch defenders weren't so annoying and gung ho about it.

But that's just me.....
Yeah, it's uber annoying when people demand equal rights... I wish they'd just shut up already, and accept their second-class place in society!

Everyone has issues they personally "crusade" or feel strongly about, so I'm not even sure why you would ask her such a question. Don't you have any topics that really get you going? I sure do!

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-24-2012 at 04:52 PM..

Old 10-24-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
They need a gay MLB, NFL or NBA (not NHL or MLS) player first.

That has to come first. Integration in team sports before integration in politics.

Until a gay man comes out while playing in one of the three major sports leagues in the US, a gay man will never have a chance to become president.

That being said, somehow it's more acceptable to be gay in politics than atheist...
Already there: Esera Tuaolo, Former NFL Player, Comes Out as Gay
Gay Man in the NFL - Coming Out Stories, Esera Tuaolo : People.com

(and I'm sure there are more examples, that's just the most well-known)

Old 10-24-2012, 04:47 PM

Just noticed you said WHILE playing in the big three, but close enough... and here are a few more examples:

Dave Kopay Profile -- Outsports.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Simmons

This guy actually did come out while actively playing in the MLB: Glenn Burke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the Glenn Burke article: "They can't ever say now that a gay man can't play in the majors, because I'm a gay man and I made it."

Old 10-24-2012, 05:02 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Just noticed you said WHILE playing in the big three, but close enough... and here are a few more examples:

Dave Kopay Profile -- Outsports.com
Roy Simmons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This guy actually did come out while actively playing in the MLB: Glenn Burke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the Glenn Burke article: "They can't ever say now that a gay man can't play in the majors, because I'm a gay man and I made it."
Reminds me off this sketch:

Gay Football - YouTube

Old 10-24-2012, 05:08 PM

341 posts, read 641,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Is America ready for a gay president?
You should ask Mr. Romney, Ryan, Todd Akin, Mourdock...

Old 10-24-2012, 05:23 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,815,572 times
"The Model Family" for the rest?

Are you f***ing kidding me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies