Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 09:40 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
there is one and only one justifiable reason to have heterosexual marriage and homosexual partnerships under one federal law giving both institution the same benefits and rights , it would have the capability to satisfy both groups without either side seeing a defeat.

listen this is a tempest in a tea cup to me , I won't lose any sleep if homosexual marriage passes or fail. i think that it will pass in 2 to 30 years from today " judging from the current situation that america is in " ,then the homosexual community will champion the notion that homosexual sex is just as normal as heterosexual sex.
I'm not really talking about federal law. I'm taking mostly about the civil marriage laws of the several states. The fact is the first time federal law ever even addressed what constitutes a marriage was in 1996 with the passage of DOMA. 7 courts have now ruled DOMA unconstitutional, and it will be officially wiped of the books very, very soon.

The fact is most people in this country are extremely ignorant when it comes to this issue. They don't understand that the Constitution requires that any law in any state in the US must treat everybody equally - the title of the law is irrelevant, even if the title is "marriage." Using the word "marriage" doesn't make it some sort of special law not beholden to this fundamental American principle and Constitutional requirement. Second, most people conflate religious and civil marriages even though they are completely separate, unrelated things.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
isn't it dinner and family time hammertime I told you in a former post that I didn't mind if everybody had to go under the title of domestic partnerships and or civil unions ( because I would just go the my church ) and get a marriage license from them making domestic partnership sacred in the eyes of GOD.
But clearly you would mind if everybody (well, in reality just homosexuals) were to go under the title of civil marriage. Like I said, you're the one hung-up on semantics - not me. Again, I don't care at all what the law (that everybody can equally access as Constitutionally required) is titled

Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
listen this is a tempest in a tea cup to me
Pardon me if I don't view the denial of my rights as a minor issue. This type of discrimination causes great harm to gay people - especially married gay couples - every single day we're denied equal rights under the law.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:57 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It's a pretty hard test.
Not for him, he's going to a 4th tier toilet school. They accept basically anyone.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:59 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Didn't Michelle Bachmann get her law degree from one?

If so, seems to me Harrier would fit right in.
Yes, she got her degree from Regent University, which I believe is now part of Liberty University. It's a trash school that's barely accredited, and no corporate law firm or clerkship in their right mind would take somebody from it.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:53 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It's a pretty hard test.
I know - but I am good at tests that include its format and various types of problems - and I will be sure to study plenty before I take the actual exam.

Getting through law school and passing the California bar exam will be the real challenge (not to mention paying for law school - I'm going to need some serious FA and/or scholarships + be working to do it - also I am saving as we speak) but I am up to the challenge.

You just watch - Harrier will be an attorney someday.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
No kidding!
I know people that have taken it a dozen times before they passed......they far exceed Harriers intellectual capacities.
He does not seem to realize in order to be a successful attorney, one has to be able to anticipate both sides of the argument and adjust accordingly on the fly.
I understand that perfectly - and I guarantee that if a homosexual who felt wronged by current marriage laws were my client - I would be their advocate and work vociferously on their behalf.

Could you do the same for me - whom you disagree with politically?

If not - I guess that may possibly explain why you never became an attorney.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I almost became an attorney myself, I came within a year of getting my degree, decided I wanted it wasnt for me.
I went here;
Washington University in St. Louis | Law School
Where, exactly, are you proposing to study?
That will depend on who accepts my application - I am not there yet.

However - on the short list of schools to which I will apply are:

University of Washington(Seattle).

University of California, Irvine.

University of Utah.

Chapman Univerisity(Orange, CA)

Western State University(Fullerton, CA)

Western State is not a high objective of mine - but I am very interested in criminal defense law - and many of the public defenders in Orange County Superior Court are graduates of Western State - the advantage they have is local connections.

University of Washington also has local connections in the Seattle area - and if am accepted there - I will likely move back to Seattle.

The same applies to University of Utah - if I am accepted by them - then I will likely relocate to Salt Lake City.

Those are good considerations to look at seeing as that much of the second and third year is taken up in internships - and those are often based locally.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Really?
How many times have you been married?
How many times do you think that I have been married?

I still can't marry my cat - but she is upset with me - she is afraid of any pressurized can - and I opened up a beer tonight.

At least she is still in the room - and she isn't under the bed - she still trusts me - but is just demonstrating her displeasure by sleeping in the corner.

Usually she is on my lap, on the keyboard, or on my bed.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:19 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
That will depend on who accepts my application - I am not there yet.

However - on the short list of schools to which I will apply are:

University of Washington(Seattle).

University of California, Irvine.

University of Utah.

Chapman Univerisity(Orange, CA)

Western State University(Fullerton, CA)

Western State is not a high objective of mine - but I am very interested in criminal defense law - and many of the public defenders in Orange County Superior Court are graduates of Western State - the advantage they have is local connections.

University of Washington also has local connections in the Seattle area - and if am accepted there - I will likely move back to Seattle.

The same applies to University of Utah - if I am accepted by them - then I will likely relocate to Salt Lake City.

Those are good considerations to look at seeing as that much of the second and third year is taken up in internships - and those are often based locally.

And this has to do with marriage equality.........how?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies