Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 10:54 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
So much for marriage being all about "love and sharing"... ... you, of course know, that there are still a lot of places on this planet where just the rumor of your being in a gay relationship could get you severely beaten or much worse. Gay people in a country like modern America are uniquely empowered to focus on secondary social issues associated with their lifestyle instead of outright survival. It isn't marriages fault that when it was incepted gay people were not on its radar. If gay people are going to be "grandfathered" in then so should also a wide swath of the human sexual continuum. Are you ok with that? If so, then there might be quicker progress if all the various "alternative lifestyle" communities petitioned for marriage equality as a bloc. At present, however, it appears that if gays were given the green light to participate in traditional marriage they would immediately become just as protectionist and exclusionary in the practice of their new Sacrament as straight people. Ok, I guess but that also means that gay people should understand what the resistance from the straight community is about. You would do the same thing if it was you.on the power side of the issue.

H
You actually think this is a logical argument for discrimination?
Really?

Old 10-24-2012, 12:49 PM

194 posts, read 297,437 times
I'm trying to understand and promote the fact that the non-traditional marriage supporters have ulterior motives. Take for example in my home state Illinois, a gay "couple" can have a civil union that grants them everything they claim to desire from a recognized "gay marriage" but that is not enough for them. It cannot be a civil union, it must be labeled as a "marriage" or they don't consider it valid.

Folks I see this as an issue of the non-traditional marriage types that want their disordered behavior accepted and normalized. This is typical liberal politiking, you could give them everything they claim they want and they're still not satisfied. This is about subjugation not "equality" or "fairness" or any other nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Oy vey.
Quote:
Really?
You can disgree with something without having to post one-liners (or less) that don't contribute anything to the discussion at hand. You would do well to state why you disagree, also please refrain from comments along the lines of "you wouldn't understand" like you've often made in other threads.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:53 PM

876 posts, read 708,843 times
Quote:
Really?
I don't think Leisistrum was advocating for discrimination. I think they were bringing up the point that if gays are given marital rights, then some other group of people would come out saying that they deserve it too. I think the idea is, once homosexuals got the right to marry would they be advocates for people, like polygamists, to get their rights too? Would they be willing to be tolerant of other people's wants and beliefs and redefine marriage to include them. Or would they feel that something is wrong with polygamy and should not taint the sanctity of marriage. I think they were bringing up a legitimate question and not an arguement to justify for discrimination.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:16 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylläri View Post
I'm trying to understand and promote the fact that the non-traditional marriage supporters have ulterior motives. Take for example in my home state Illinois, a gay "couple" can have a civil union that grants them everything they claim to desire from a recognized "gay marriage" but that is not enough for them. It cannot be a civil union, it must be labeled as a "marriage" or they don't consider it valid.

Folks I see this as an issue of the non-traditional marriage types that want their disordered behavior accepted and normalized. This is typical liberal politiking, you could give them everything they claim they want and they're still not satisfied. This is about subjugation not "equality" or "fairness" or any other nonsense.

You can disgree with something without having to post one-liners (or less) that don't contribute anything to the discussion at hand. You would do well to state why you disagree, also please refrain from comments along the lines of "you wouldn't understand" like you've often made in other threads.
In your state, are civil unions federally recognized? Is a civil union from your state recognized by all other states per the full faith and credit clause like a state marriage license?

No. They aren't. So a civil union is not legally the same as a marriage license.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:32 PM

194 posts, read 297,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
In your state, are civil unions federally recognized? Is a civil union from your state recognized by all other states per the full faith and credit clause like a state marriage license?

No. They aren't. So a civil union is not legally the same as a marriage license.
Thank you for proving my point, those who advocate for "gay marriage" simply cannot be satisfied. If this is all that marriage is so far as you are concerned than I think your ulterior motives speak for themselves.

The OP is a guilt trip, you simply cannot have things go your way throughout your life and people need to start accepting this instead of trying to force others to accept their prideful desires. If a governing body won't sanction it and you want to throw a fit I think you may have bigger issues to concern yourself with.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Tell, me, why is it you think you can tell me how to post?
It wouldnt possibly be because you think you have control over others, as you have demonstrated in other threads, would it?

Old 10-24-2012, 01:39 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Thank you for proving my point, those who advocate for "gay marriage" simply cannot be satisfied.
Oh, we can be satisfied very easily. Simply give us equal access to, and treat us equally under, the civil laws of the US and its several states (as the Constitution requires mind you) - that includes civil marriage laws. See how easy that is?

Old 10-24-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
I don't think Leisistrum was advocating for discrimination. I think they were bringing up the point that if gays are given marital rights, then some other group of people would come out saying that they deserve it too. I think the idea is, once homosexuals got the right to marry would they be advocates for people, like polygamists, to get their rights too? Would they be willing to be tolerant of other people's wants and beliefs and redefine marriage to include them. Or would they feel that something is wrong with polygamy and should not taint the sanctity of marriage. I think they were bringing up a legitimate question and not an arguement to justify for discrimination.
The crux of your argument has been proved to be a strawman on about a gabillion different threads here on CD, so I am not going to go down that road again.
You can do a search on the threads if you are interested in reading them.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:53 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:

Give them an inch, they want a mile. It's ALWAYS been like that when you give whiners what they want. But you're right, they want to trample all over traditional marriage and that's all they want. They are militants.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:54 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Thank you for proving my point, those who advocate for "gay marriage" simply cannot be satisfied. If this is all that marriage is so far as you are concerned than I think your ulterior motives speak for themselves.

The OP is a guilt trip, you simply cannot have things go your way throughout your life and people need to start accepting this instead of trying to force others to accept their prideful desires. If a governing body won't sanction it and you want to throw a fit I think you may have bigger issues to concern yourself with.
So I should be happy with whatever you decide I should get? I am an American citizen. I pay my taxes. I have children. I own property. Why should I not expect to have all the same rights as any other American citizen?

If my partner or I died, the surviving one would probably have to sell our home to pay the estate taxes that any other married couple wouldn't have to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies