Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 01:37 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
These dogs are just bad, bad news. I know, some good people love them, but I'd rather they loved their neighbors more and got rid of the dogs. Enough.

"Castle was walking through Memorial Park on Labor Day when he says a pit bull came out of nowhere and attacked him.

'He pulled my leg out from under me, swung me over on the grass and lunged for my throat,' Castle recalled. 'That's when I put my hand up.'

The dog's owner pulled the animal off of him and Castle managed to make his way across the street. A good samaritan spotted him from a nearby apartment and called 911 ..."
Ho Hum, another dog bite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 05:08 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
there are no bad breeds of dogs. there are just alot of bad owners.
Absolutely agree. The American Pitbull Terrier was actually bred to be a kid's dog. If you remember the dog on the Little Rascals was a Pit.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:19 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I have walked by loose "'big head" PBT that didn't bite me or act aggressively toward me because the breed is totally unpredictable" in pretty much the way" that a alaskan brown bear is.....they will turn around and walk away from you one one day , and on another day make a bluff charge , and on another day tear you apart.
You might be surprised at how many Pit Bulls are in your neighborhood.

I'd like to point out this little tidbit:

"Although there are no accurate or even near accurate census records
for dogs in the U.S., in some populations pit bulls are estimated to
comprise some 30-40% of the dog population, making it a very popular
breed. Considering that there were an estimated 53,000,000 dogs in the
U.S., and assuming that pit bulls make up 10% of that population, there
would be approximately 5.3 million pit bulls in our society. In 2000, 13 pit
bulls were involved in 8 fatal attacks. That is roughly ONE dog out of
204,000 - or .000385 percent of the pit bull population."

If all pit bulls are loose cannons and apt to kill anyone at any moment, why aren't there more people killed by one each year? FYI, I've seen some estimates say there are as many as 10 million Pit Bulls in the US, this was the lowest number I could find.

I can trot out a dozen different ways you're more likely to be killed, yet I don't see the outrage about any of those methods.

I will say, that before I owned Pit Bull I was just like you. She was scheduled to be destroyed, and every single worker at the shelter made a point to walk by and tell us how good of a dog she was. I couldn't let that happen after looking at her cute face, and despite my hesitation and reservations we adopted her. We took classes targeted towards training Pit Bulls though - mostly because I simply did not know how to train dogs properly in the first place (most people don't,) but it's not a decision I've regretted at all.

Out of hundreds of dogs I've owned, or family members have owned, she is by far the best of them all.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:26 PM

313 posts, read 709,203 times
You know why people do not have monkeys for pets? Because they will rip your face off.

You know why people should not be allowed to have pitbulls? Because they will kill you.

I am sorry that my opinion upsets some of you, but it makes absolutely no sense to keep a pitbull as a pet. There are plenty of dog breeds out there that are less prone to attack and even if they do attack they are more manageable in defending against the attack.

Why not a Boxer? Why not a Lab? Why do you insist on bringing a Pitbull into my neighborhood and putting my family and other peoples families in danger? It is just irresponsible. I just hope that when your pitbull finally goes pitbull there are no small children around.

Here is the law I propose for everyone that insists on owning a pitbull. If your pitbull attacks and severely harms another human being... not only does the pitbull get put to sleep but so do you. No appeal process, not trial, you get put to sleep. Ok? I mean, based on your arguments none of you should be opposed to this law since you all insist you raised your pitbull right and it would never attack anyone. So if we are to believe what you say, you should be required to stake your life on it... just like you are potentially staking the lives of an innocent bystander when your friendly pet rips their throat out.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:54 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
You might be surprised at how many Pit Bulls are in your neighborhood.

I'd like to point out this little tidbit:

"Although there are no accurate or even near accurate census records
for dogs in the U.S., in some populations pit bulls are estimated to
comprise some 30-40% of the dog population, making it a very popular
breed. Considering that there were an estimated 53,000,000 dogs in the
U.S., and assuming that pit bulls make up 10% of that population, there
would be approximately 5.3 million pit bulls in our society. In 2000, 13 pit
bulls were involved in 8 fatal attacks. That is roughly ONE dog out of
204,000 - or .000385 percent of the pit bull population."

If all pit bulls are loose cannons and apt to kill anyone at any moment, why aren't there more people killed by one each year? FYI, I've seen some estimates say there are as many as 10 million Pit Bulls in the US, this was the lowest number I could find.

I can trot out a dozen different ways you're more likely to be killed, yet I don't see the outrage about any of those methods.

I will say, that before I owned Pit Bull I was just like you. She was scheduled to be destroyed, and every single worker at the shelter made a point to walk by and tell us how good of a dog she was. I couldn't let that happen after looking at her cute face, and despite my hesitation and reservations we adopted her. We took classes targeted towards training Pit Bulls though - mostly because I simply did not know how to train dogs properly in the first place (most people don't,) but it's not a decision I've regretted at all.

Out of hundreds of dogs I've owned, or family members have owned, she is by far the best of them all.
then you would have no problem with a law that require owners of PBT to pay $25,000 per bite incident by theirs docile well behaved dogs would you ?

not one member of the human species should be required to undergo a PBT bite because as I mention in a prior post they do more damage than other dog breed....

Old 10-26-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Absolutely agree. The American Pitbull Terrier was actually bred to be a kid's dog. If you remember the dog on the Little Rascals was a Pit.
PBT were breed to bait BULLS and NORTH AMERICA BROWN BEARS and dangerous WILD BOARS , BADGERS

Old 10-26-2012, 01:04 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Sometimes there are instructions on these types of threads by a mod..who gets very perturbed if you mention banning a certain breed of dog. So I am taking my chances here. Yes dog sometimes mirror their owners and some masters have no clue on how to dominate and control a strong dog. This type of breed has one problem. Once they latch on- they blank out ..and become a powerful mindless jaw....that can no longer hear instructions.

In Toronto they are controlled..if you take a pit bull in public it must be muzzled...Not that all of them are dangerous- But why take chances..Human being especially children must have priority over an animal.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:06 PM

313 posts, read 709,203 times
Since all of you pitbull owners are 100% certain your dog would never harm anyone... step up and say you would be ok with you being put to sleep if your dog harms another human being.

Don't be afraid. Here, I have a cat that I am 100% certain would never kill anyone. If my cat ever kills another human being, I promise that I will kill myself.

Now, I need all you pitbull owners to make the same pledge.

I am waiting for the argument that says... "but gnu2308, you can never be 100% certain, they are animals, how can we really predict that it will never attack someone?" Exactly! You can never be 100% sure... if my cat attacks someone I am 100% sure that person at worst will have a couple of scratches here and there. If your pitbull attacks someone there is a chance it is going to end up in a fatality... especially if we are talking about a child.

Make the pledge!

Old 10-26-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Sometimes there are instructions on these types of threads by a mod..who gets very perturbed if you mention banning a certain breed of dog. So I am taking my chances here. Yes dog sometimes mirror their owners and some masters have no clue on how to dominate and control a strong dog. This type of breed has one problem. Once they latch on- they blank out ..and become a powerful mindless jaw....that can no longer hear instructions.

In Toronto they are controlled..if you take a pit bull in public it must be muzzled...Not that all of them are dangerous- But why take chances..Human being especially children must have priority over an animal.
PBT muzzled by responsible owners with common sense that would work nicely , but what about all of the irresponsible owners that willy nilly let theirs dog free?

how much of a fine should we charge the owner per bite of theirs PBT $25,000 or what ?

Old 10-26-2012, 01:17 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
A postal worker was nipped by one of those 2 pound Mexican breeds. The dog was deemed as dangerous and has to wear a muzzle. I guess they put a thimble over it's mouth with a couple of pieces of scotch tape.

Remembering the Doberman craze back in the 70s...thugs with black T-shirts and a pack of smokes tucked in the sleeve would parade around as if they had a weapon on a leash...The owners of these dogs were mostly idiots.

Everyone knows why pit bulls were created. They were bred to fight...why would someone purchase such a pet or even have one? No offence..but why choose one of these dogs? The look ugly - kind of remind me of a canine shark...They are a vile looking creature- sorry...I just don't like the way the look...or like their potential to do damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies