Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:40 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Again, I agree, the auto bail out was terrible, so was the housing bailout to include TARP. I think subsidies (corporate welfare) do have their place though. I also think they should be reformed.

But, keep in mind that prices will increase on those products or services that are reformed and taken away. Sarita seems to think the US should be more like the EU, where everything is heavily subsidized and the citizens are heavily taxed.
In our current Economy I think our issue is affordability. A vast portion of the population doesn't have money to spend and its affecting business. We need our working population to have money to spend and spur the economy. Currently, the middle and lower classes' paychecks are all going to gas and housing.

That's a problem. Gas prices are rising and home sales have not picked back up since the crash.

We're living in an economy where more and more money is being funneled to the investor class and the rest of the working population is being neglected. I don't believe any one profession alone to be more important than the others to the extent that the entire population suffers.

That's my issue.

I believe in some capitalistic principles, but I believe it is wise for business to look out for all of society, not just itself.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:42 PM

For example. Tax incentives. Why not give tax incentives for companies that invest in their employees? Encourage employers to pay their employees higher wages by lowering their tax burden. It in turn will help the economy and will still benefit the government through sales taxes. Almost more so on a small business level.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:05 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,075,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
In our current Economy I think our issue is affordability. A vast portion of the population doesn't have money to spend and its affecting business. We need our working population to have money to spend and spur the economy. Currently, the middle and lower classes' paychecks are all going to gas and housing.

That's a problem. Gas prices are rising and home sales have not picked back up since the crash.

We're living in an economy where more and more money is being funneled to the investor class and the rest of the working population is being neglected. I don't believe any one profession alone to be more important than the others to the extent that the entire population suffers.

That's my issue.

I believe in some capitalistic principles, but I believe it is wise for business to look out for all of society, not just itself.
Gas prices have risen, but they have been pretty much stagnant for the past 2 years or so. In fact they have decreased a bit over the past 2 years from their highs. It used to cost me $150 to fill my truck with diesel, now its $120. Home sales are dependent on location, my county has had an increase in home sales, in fact they are actually building here again.

We're living in an economy that has suffered due to the negligence of many things, to include the people. Business didn't do anything to cause the recession, one market did it more than anything, real estate. I would add that Poulson (Fed Res) also played a role due to prolonged to low of interest rates, while there are some that would argue he helped to push the recession out longer then it should have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
For example. Tax incentives. Why not give tax incentives for companies that invest in their employees? Encourage employers to pay their employees higher wages by lowering their tax burden. It in turn will help the economy and will still benefit the government through sales taxes. Almost more so on a small business level.
Investing in employees and giving them raises off-sets the tax burden the company owes and places it more on the employee due to higher wages. Smart business already does this, then you OWS'ers get mad that they end up owing very little to nothing in tax. Automation and efficiency are the bigger issues, menial labor is a surplus right now which in turn lowers wages, high skills are still in demand, always have been.

Sales tax only benefits the locality and the State, has nothing to do with the feds. Services in many states are not taxed, increased spending will only help business, both big and small. There is no guarantee that due to the increased spending that employers will hire more employees though.

How do you plan on stopping globalization?

Old 03-23-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Gas prices have risen, but they have been pretty much stagnant for the past 2 years or so. In fact they have decreased a bit over the past 2 years from their highs. It used to cost me $150 to fill my truck with diesel, now its $120. Home sales are dependent on location, my county has had an increase in home sales, in fact they are actually building here again.

I honestly don't feel like our current prices are sustainable. I think their fine for most of the population, but a big portion of the population is still feeling the strain. It essentially means less paycheck to use on other necessities. I've worked outside of Chicago for over a year now and have been rudely awakened to the amount that the rest of the country spends on gas. In Chicago I biked nearly everywhere May-November.

We're living in an economy that has suffered due to the negligence of many things, to include the people. Business didn't do anything to cause the recession, one market did it more than anything, real estate. I would add that Poulson (Fed Res) also played a role due to prolonged to low of interest rates, while there are some that would argue he helped to push the recession out longer then it should have.

I agree with you that it was many factors. I think that's where the discussion gets lost at times. Everybody sees things that could've played a role. I can agree with the suggestions you listed.

Investing in employees and giving them raises off-sets the tax burden the company owes and places it more on the employee due to higher wages. Smart business already does this, then you OWS'ers get mad that they end up owing very little to nothing in tax. Automation and efficiency are the bigger issues, menial labor is a surplus right now which in turn lowers wages, high skills are still in demand, always have been.

I think people rightfully take issue with some corporations not paying taxes. I'm not saying all, and not saying that tax incentives and breaks can't be justified, I just think that when your bringing in billions in profits you can pay SOMETHING. It's not a huge burden on the country and could really help boost the economy. Small businesses pay taxes and are the ones most in need of a tax break. I don't believe some of these massive corporations with endless resources need to be given extra advantages over small businesses. I believe its the opposite of free market capitalism.

Sales tax only benefits the locality and the State, has nothing to do with the feds. Services in many states are not taxed, increased spending will only help business, both big and small. There is no guarantee that due to the increased spending that employers will hire more employees though.

How do you plan on stopping globalization?

I honestly don't believe we can stop globalization, but I do feel that we can do quite a bit to curb its affects. I haven't thought about the issue as much as I have others. I'll think about it and get back to you.

As far as the whole Occupy thing goes though, let me just say that I don't represent the entire movement. I support it, but I'm just a voice. Occupy is merely a tool to bring about change. It's a multi-issue protest. The theme being corporate greed and corruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies