Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 11:25 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg7854 View Post
It's obvious that you're talking out of your a55 and trolling because you can't even come up with something germane to the conversation. You keep going off on all these rabbit trails and tangents about all this inconsequential nonsense like throwing stones. That's not the topic here. We're talking about Occupy Wall Street and how the haves have a long track record of cutting the legs off the havenots.
If you would have started here one might have been able to have had a decent conversation.

Quote:
We're discussing facts here not trying to be right or anything. If you want to discuss politics with me, then show me some facts. You see facts have hard substantial evidence that can't be distorted. If you want to talk about the truth, then I'll be happy to write another thread discussing philosophy or religion, but this is about Occupy Wall Street. Whenever you're done pontificating, perhaps you can contribute something of merit here?
Tea Party = Taliban. That seems to be what facts consist of for you so any hope of a decent conversation ends before it even begins.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:25 AM

1,110 posts, read 672,295 times
Quote:
Why aren't they coming out of the woodwork again after the fiscal cliff and all this new talk about the sequester that could cost us 750,000 jobs?
The occupiers aren't so much concerned about forced spending cuts & job losses as these are consequences resulting from an inept government body. As I recall the occupy movement had a beef with big business/ corporations.

If the 'sky is falling' sequestration process commences March 1 (as I believe it will) the occupier movement will come out of the woodwork once the weather warms (late March/ early April).

They'll back big Government saying 'more needs to be done to protect the vitcims ophaned by lost or thinned programs'. That and 'Who's going to pay my student loans?'.

Demonstrations will be focused on corporations. In the summer/ fall when a further tanking economy will eventually force corporations to layoff employees... 'To hell with the evil corporations. They've made so much money and got so much Federal assistance, they should be forced to carry the load/ use those evil profits to subsidize a full staff, maybe even some mandated hiring'....

The Occupy version of Carolyn Joyce Carty's 'Footprints in the Sand' is not a dialog with the Lord rather, it's with the Fed.

Occupy: 'Oh dear Fed, you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way. But I noticed that during my ENTIRE life, there is only one set of footprints'

Fed: 'Yeah, I've been carrying you the whole time...'

Old 02-19-2013, 11:49 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Occupy Wall Street generated lots of noise, but did not one thing that caused change. They did cause damage to public property, chewed up a bunch of municipal money to pay for police, and of course to repair the damage. They had no message other than "the rich guys and companies are bad" which they tweeted using their iPhones, created by one of the greediest and meanest companies on earth.

The public said get those people out of our public spaces.

So OWS even if technically still in existence, are brain dead.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:38 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Bunch of smelly, unemployed degenerates looking for a little attention!
And the left-wing press played them like a fiddle.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:55 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Maybe this and the sequester will make Occupy Wall Street return.
That chart was originally posted by the Daily KOS with the source being a project completed by three students without sources cited. You cannot blindly grab a chart off of the internet and assume that it is true! Those figures were given with no backing as to how they were calculated. Do you seriously trust something that a few students wrote for a school assignment and posted on the Daily KOS as a statement of fact? Please actually track down your facts and stop blindly accepting any graph that supports something you wish were true.

Looking at a less biased and more fact based source, the Economic Policy Institute (which is also a liberally biased organization by the way) came up with these numbers from an actual fact based study (reported on and verified by the AP, not the Daily KOS):

Ratio of CEO to worker pay

Belgium
18-to-1

France
23-to-1

Germany
20-to-1

Italy
26-to-1

Netherlands
18-to-1

Spain
17-to-1

Sweden
19-to-1

Switzerland
19-to-1

U.K.
32-to-1

USA
39-to-1

Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Ohh yes the OWS camps.....let's also not forget the violence and sexual assaults.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:33 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Maybe this and the sequester will make Occupy Wall Street return.
We'll make sure to tell the city to get their fire hoses ready and women to stay clear of the camps.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:40 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Or smelly, ambitious, intelligent business owners who can see the big picture.

Some people even support them that have worked on Wall Street.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
They had neither cause nor goal, neither principles nor ideology.

They were a headless chicken bound to bleed out and run out.
No ideology? No cause?

Goal and principles I could partially agree with.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:47 AM

Some positive things that Occupy is doing... You won't find press on them from the MSM, but there are Occupy groups out there still working to help their communities. Here is a letter about some recent activities.

My name is (Name Omitted for privacy). I am a single mother of four, student, writer and dedicated worker. Despite my hard work – stocking shelves, earning A’s in school, mowing lawns, cleaning houses, writing and publishing social commentary for Minnesota Public Radio, and coordinating volunteers - years of poverty have left my family homeless.

Working with Occupy Homes MN I have reclaimed and repaired a vacant home that had been broken into and was being used as a drug house. I spoke with the neighbors on the block and told them of the plan to move into the home, fix it up, and contribute to the community. They are very supportive, especially after the last vacant home on the block had been taken over by drug dealers, who were also using it as a place to house the violence of the sex trade.

Will you sign and share my petition asking Wells Fargo to turn this home over to the community so it can be used for affordable housing instead of sitting vacant?

Over the last two years, with the low wages I was earning, I was unable to afford the average rent for an apartment, transportation, food, and medical care. I had to pack all of my children’s belongings and my things and put them in one stall of my friend’s garage. The hardest issue for me was having to ask my ex-husband to change our custody arrangement, so that he has them during the week and I parent them on weekends. Homelessness not only leaves people without their possessions, it separates children from their mothers.

Tell Wells Fargo to do the right thing so that my daughters and I will have shelter.

My new home is located within Occupy Homes MN’s “Foreclosure and Eviction Free Zone”, a project aiming to make housing a human right by uniting homeowners, tenants and those experiencing homelessness to stop evictions and assert control over the homes in South Minneapolis.

The foreclosure crisis is stripping neighborhoods of their value, schools of their funding, and robbing families of security, stability and community. My friends at Occupy Homes MN have come up with a practical solution to address Wells Fargo’s bankrupt business practices, the devastation of homelessness, and the blight of vacant homes--to defend and reclaim homes for housing, not profit.

I'm not asking for free housing. I am asking for a chance to have a safe place to raise my family.

On Wednesday we will march from my home to the local Wells Fargo Home Mortgage Center to bring our demands directly from my doorstep to theirs--so please stay tuned.

Together we can unlock our neighborhood’s homes and our future.

Thank you for your support,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies