Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 02:05 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Really! The poor widdle mega-rich thieves should be punished by being left alone? But the poor should be punished outright when they engage in wrongdoing, right?
"They should be 'punished' by not being helped, which is not actually punishment at all but a 'you made your bed, now sleep in it'." That statement was for both groups, not just the poor widdle mega-rich.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:24 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
"They should be 'punished' by not being helped, which is not actually punishment at all but a 'you made your bed, now sleep in it'." That statement was for both groups, not just the poor widdle mega-rich.
Are you f kidding me? People that destroyed the futures of people, the retirements of people, trashed the lives of people, should be given a pat on the hand and sent off to enjoy themselves? And meanwhile, not bail out the banks, which is where the rest of humans keep their money?

What planet are you from? Are you KIDDING ME?

Too bad I'm not queen of the U.S. There'd be one hell of a lot of rich men rotting away in jails as we speak.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Are you f kidding me? People that destroyed the futures of people, the retirements of people, trashed the lives of people, should be given a pat on the hand and sent off to enjoy themselves? And meanwhile, not bail out the banks, which is where the rest of humans keep their money?

What planet are you from? Are you KIDDING ME?

Too bad I'm not queen of the U.S. There'd be one hell of a lot of rich men rotting away in jails as we speak.
lol That pretty much sums you up doesn't it. The ravages that a life of communism can commit on the human psyche, its really sad to see. A little bundle of emotion wrapped up in collectivism and seeped in bitterness.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:07 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
...you obviously don't know much if you think the M&A, IB and housing businesses have nothing to do with wall street
You know what? Your right. The firm was too concerned about sales and profit. Not protecting people's wealth.

If everyone had access to the same information and training, it'd be fair. But when your training salesman and not recruiting people based on their financial understanding, it puts a wrench in your PR system.

If people want to gamble, that's fine, but there should be separate rules and regulations. The gambling of a few individuals should not impact the financial well being of millions of hard working Americans. On top of that. Some of those same people who were in charge when the markets crashed and weren't speaking up, were given million dollar bonuses the year after. Bonuses given on taxpayer money. We are sti Point blank. Tell me what other line of work that happens in.

Are you honestly going to tell me you don't support a movement to hold those people accountable? If my college professors were able to predict the crashes, and politicians and other scholars were able to predict the crashes, why weren't the people held to the highest authority in the land able to see what was going to happen?

We're still paying for that mistake. We're paying through inflation and higher taxes. Not only that, but other Economic factors that Occupy stood for are also holding us back. Our corporate systems, or better yet, corporations, have become profit centers that only benefit themselves. Not the country. How can a company make billions in profit and not pay hardly any taxes??

There's multiple cracks in the system. Occupy just supports a few I strongly agree with.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
You thought wrong. (but I didn't expect any less from you) Bankers who make poor decisions and lose millions for investors are not "wrong doers", nor are the ones who get filthy rich. Rioters who throw molotov cocktails, smash windows, and burn cars are. Wall street should in no instance under no circumstance be bailed out, ever. But 'throwing a few in prison to keep them nervous' would only fly in a totalitarian hell hole like Cuba.
I agree that they're not wrong doers. I don't believing gambling is wrong though.

So you agree with Occupy that the bailout shouldn't have happened. Do you also agree that those people should not have been given bonuses on taxpayer dollar?

I'm not in the camp that wants to throw people in jail for making bad decisions. What I do want to do however is hold those accountable that knowingly manipulated the market in a way that cost hard working Americans thousands of dollars in savings.

The American worker should not have to pay for the mistake of a gambler.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:12 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
You keep avoiding my questions, so I am going to ask you for a third time. In the absence of wall street as it stands today, how would you address the following?
  • What is your proposed method for a person to buy a house without wall street?
  • What is your proposed method of counties to run themselves without municipal bonds?
  • What is your proposed solution to pension funds being able to provide retirement income without balanced portfolios?
  • What is your proposed solution for companies such as Staples or Brookstone to not go bankrupt when they are in fiscal crisis if not for investment banks?

I don't think yer gonna get an answer,
but the questions bear repeating.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I don't think yer gonna get an answer,
but the questions bear repeating.
Quote:
You keep avoiding my questions, so I am going to ask you for a third time. In the absence of wall street as it stands today, how would you address the following?
  • What is your proposed method for a person to buy a house without wall street?

You go to a bank or credit union for the loan.
  • What is your proposed method of counties to run themselves without municipal bonds?

Bonds are not what people are up in arms about.
  • What is your proposed solution to pension funds being able to provide retirement income without
    balanced portfolios?

Again. People aren't up in arms about safe investments. People are up in arms about bad trading practices, financial scams (often preying on poor people), and risky trading at the expense of the public.
  • What is your proposed solution for companies such as Staples or Brookstone to not go bankrupt when they are in fiscal crisis if not for investment banks?
Are you talking about loans or are you talking about going public? And again, people are upset about the ills of Wall Street and Big Banks, not the positives. We SHOULD be talking about our financial system. It's failing on many levels. What better way to start a discussion or keep a discussion going than to protest??

Have a better idea???

Old 02-22-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I agree that they're not wrong doers. I don't believing gambling is wrong though.

So you agree with Occupy that the bailout shouldn't have happened. Do you also agree that those people should not have been given bonuses on taxpayer dollar?

I'm not in the camp that wants to throw people in jail for making bad decisions. What I do want to do however is hold those accountable that knowingly manipulated the market in a way that cost hard working Americans thousands of dollars in savings.

The American worker should not have to pay for the mistake of a gambler.
If they are given tax payer dollars then it is theirs, and they can do whatever they want with it, roll it up and smoke it for all it will matter to us tax payers. They shouldn't have been given a cent to begin with however.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
If they are given tax payer dollars then it is theirs, and they can do whatever they want with it, roll it up and smoke it for all it will matter to us tax payers. They shouldn't have been given a cent to begin with however.
Then you agree on some level with the protesters.

I think what people take issue with, is the organizational aspects of the movement, the undesireables who joined the movement later, and the "image" of the movement.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Then you agree on some level with the protesters.
And we both probably believe in the theories of physics too, big deal, those are givens. I have nothing ideologically in common with the deadbeat non-contributing group of adolescents posting over on occupywallst.org. Those communist and anarchist freaks are literally the scum of the internet, stop by and see for yourself some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies