Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 09:46 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
really adorable, you are excited about this aren't you?
Well I say, why shouldn't you be

It's going to change the world isn't it?
The corporate right certainly think about OWS regularly, and as for the bankers (whoever they are), whew, they are shakin in their boots whenever they hear a sound check or see some twinkling fingers.

Being a DJ, why don't you drop some hot tracks in honor of the movement, poor out your heart for us. Something we can listen to when OWS begins to storm the castle, and overthrows the system
Okay, just keep talkin' it up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Is that so? And the "war on women", "Republicans hate the poor", "conservatives are racist", and such aren't exactly what you're talking about here?

The two threads about Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act that were absolutely jam packed with liberals saying how racist it was to call voting rights a racial entitlement after that appeared on a few liberal websites had total credibility? The fact that "perpetuation of racial entitlement" is actually a term to describe voting patterns and not about race or about voting rights at all but not a single one of them bothered to find this out before jumping on the "conservatives are racist" bandwagon doesn't count?

Do you think "the Tea Party hates Obama because he's black" type comments are astute, logical, and have a significant amount of information content? The fact that the Tea Party was formed when Bush was president and opposed the exact same things when Bush did them as they did with Obama doesn't matter?

Your hypocrisy is so thick it's almost solid.

Well gee, you just threw out a string of assertions with no proof or even any theory to back them up. I mean it isn't even thinly disguised. You're flat out saying "when you say X it is wrong", "when I say not X, I'm right" simply as a declarative fact.

Yes, Walmart's organizational, operating, and strategy plans were all written by the RNC. You put up links about Walmart to prove the entire conservative economic philosophy is wrong? And you talk about conservatives being low information voter type people?

So they are "Obama's food stamp recipients" in quotes, implying that is an illegitimate thing to say, despite it being fact that the Obama administration changed the food stamp eligibility requirements leading to almost doubling the amount of food stamps.

But somehow Walmart is the Republican business model for America. Which is a pure assertion with no argument, evidence, or insight made by someone who spent half his post bashing conservatives for making assertions with no argument, evidence, or insight.
Did I say walmart's business strategy was written by the RNC? Walmart isn't the only corporation outsourcing for slave labor, but it's the big kahuna of republican corporate ideology. You're sounding hysterical.
I'm sure you are aware that repubs are blocking legislation to bring jobs back and provide incentives to businesses to keep jobs here. Oh wait, Fox didn't tell you...
PolitiFact | Bernie Sanders says Walmart heirs own more wealth than bottom 40 percent of Americans

Where did I say that the Tea Party is racist. It is a home for racists - see the difference?
Are Tea Partiers Racist? - Newsweek and The Daily Beast
Excerpt: Placards at rallies have depicted President Barack Obama as a witch doctor, denounced his supposed plans for "white slavery," and likened Congress to a slave owner and the taxpayer to a "n----r." Opponents have seized on these examples as proof that Tea Partiers are angry white folks who can't abide having a black president. Supporters, on the other hand, claim that the hateful signs are the work of a small fringe and that they unfairly malign a movement that simply seeks to rein in big government.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:43 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
not angry... again, you need to stop with the hysterics... i didnt say it started here, I said it was NOT grass roots. that it was manufactured.

I stand by that. I dont care if it started in Madrid, Salamanca or Gallur... when it got to Norte America it was a turfgrass fake protest by the great unwashed (literally) plus assault seemed to be part of the whole charade....
That's not true. I know someone personally who was at the first protests and was with the Movement since its beginnings in the US. He's a high school friend. You may be able to say that funding came in to the movement, but don't say its manufactured.

There's real issues that the movement addressed. Certain things needed to be said.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:50 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I'm starting this thread a year after the Occupy Wall Street protest sprang up around the country. The movement has taken a lot of turns since its beginning and I'm starting a new discussion about the effectiveness of Occupy Wall Street.

The grassroots movement was intended to raise awareness about Unethical Wall Street practices and how corporate greed was ruining American's way of life. Protest spread from New York all the way across the country to the West Coast and many major cities in a matter of months. The protest started in September, and by the end of the year had received national attention and taken over the political discussion in this country.

By the beginning of the year nearly all of the protest had ended and the movement was blacklisted from the mainstream media. Police brutality and corruption along with the enforcement of current laws and the passing of new laws ultimately lead to the end of the Occupy Movement. Protesters were arrested for peacefully protesting and many were held indefinitely in jails around the country. Truth and lies were intertwined about the movement whenever the mainstream media reported on incidents. The movement was strategically dismantled by the powers that be.

I'm arguing that we need the protesters back out in the streets. Whether its Occupy, Independents, bi-partisan groups, or a completely new movement,... we need people back in the streets. Politicians need to know that they can't get away with anything and the corporate elite in this country need to be reminded that money does not hold indefinite power over humans.

Its time for Americans to start doing something about the situation we're in instead of expecting the government to bail us out. Politicians need to know that no matter who gets elected, Americans will be holding everyone accountable.

Thoughts?

Look around we are surrounded by a bunch of republicans who only want trickle down tax cuts, like Romney's $6.6 trillion dollar tax cut for the rich. Hell they want to privatize Social Security to give the Wall Street CEO's $750 billion dollars in fees.

They (literally) go around saying "the rich made all the right choices", while they defend a CEO's "rights" to pay their workers low wages.

Point is around 1/2 of America are republicans, and they could take over the whole country.

I don't think occupy Wall Street protests did anything, except give Americas republicans something to gossip about.

I think all of Americas liberals, and the few conservatives that still have brains, should do something that actually does something, instead of holding up useless signs, that only give republicans something to gossip about.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:51 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Look around we are surrounded by a bunch of republicans who only want trickle down tax cuts, like Romney's $6.6 trillion dollar tax cut for the rich. Hell they want to privatize Social Security to give the Wall Street CEO's $750 billion dollars in fees.

They (literally) go around saying "the rich made all the right choices", while they defend a CEO's "rights" to pay their workers low wages.

Point is around 1/2 of America are republicans, and they could take over the whole country.

I don't think occupy Wall Street protests did anything, except give Americas republicans something to gossip about.

I think all of Americas liberals, and the few conservatives that still have brains, should do something that actually does something, instead of holding up useless signs, that only give republicans something to gossip about.
All change comes about with protests of one sort or another. Look at segregation. Segregation was the answer by the white supremacists in this country to the abolition of slavery. It was the white supremacists' way of keeping black people "in their place." No way in hell were white supremacists going to budge. There was no way in hell white supremacists were going to allow change. It took many protests by black (and white) people, protests of all kinds, disorganized, organized, big, small, whatever, to slowly weaken segregationist laws and forces.

Occupy is one type protest. It isn't the only protest type. It isn't the first nor last protest. It's one type. It isn't perfect. Nothing is, so why should protests be perfection? A-holes who have nothing better to do often latch on to the good people of a protest and give it a bad name. That happens in everything in which humans are involved, including protests, since protests are human things. But Occupy is indeed a protest, a pretty ongoing protest, and protests do have an effect - they chip away, slowly but surely, at institutions that are solidified, but not functioning to benefit people, and effect change.

There are different types of protests, however, I don't think protests that don't have a noble cause in mind - for example, those of the KKK, those of white supremacists - get very far.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:04 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Okay, just keep talkin' it up...

Did I say walmart's business strategy was written by the RNC? Walmart isn't the only corporation outsourcing for slave labor, but it's the big kahuna of republican corporate ideology. You're sounding hysterical.
I'm sure you are aware that repubs are blocking legislation to bring jobs back and provide incentives to businesses to keep jobs here. Oh wait, Fox didn't tell you...
PolitiFact | Bernie Sanders says Walmart heirs own more wealth than bottom 40 percent of Americans
What is "republican corporate ideology"?

Do you mean the Bring Jobs Home Act of 2012? You know, the last Congress, not this Congress.

Your link doesn't back up your assertion. You confuse wealth with income. From your own link
Quote:
"Wealth is always more unequally distributed than income," Worstall wrote. "By the way, it isn’t even true that all of those households with zero or negative wealth are what we would call poor, either. It’s entirely possible to have no net assets while having a good income, even a high income. All you need to have is debts higher than your assets: something that will almost certainly be true of anyone with student debt and fresh out of college, for example."

He added: "If you’ve no debts and have $10 in your pocket you have more wealth than 25 percent of Americans."

Bivens, for good measure, calculated the comparison of the Waltons vs. all Americans after removing households with a negative net worth -- those that drag down the overall average and make the Waltons’ advantage look greater. He found that the Walmart heirs’ $89.5 billion "is still equal to the combined net worth of the bottom 33.2 million families (about 28.2 percent of the total)."

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 03-06-2013 at 03:54 PM..

Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 AM

If you look at the threads currently in this section you'll see that several of them deal with wealth inequality and other issues that were at the forefront of the Occupy Movement.

We need to keep having those discussions.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:03 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Feared the movement so much they resorted to beating unarmed Americans.
Yeah, sure is a shame OWS didn't get behind Rand Paul last night as he went on the record for almost 13 hours defending the 5th Amendment. I guess you don't mind a Hellfire Missile being dropped on you, but you'll whine about police brutality.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Yeah, sure is a shame OWS didn't get behind Rand Paul last night as he went on the record for almost 13 hours defending the 5th Amendment. I guess you don't mind a Hellfire Missile being dropped on you, but you'll whine about police brutality.
One actually happened, and one has not happened.

I think your in the wrong thread.

I'm talking about ACTUAL cases of police brutality. You know, like the ones that just cost 4 CA officers their lives.

I believe Dorner even mentioned an instance at the MAY Day protest in LA>

Old 03-08-2013, 07:47 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Can you honestly say calling the Tea Party racist isn't a standard liberal talking point? Not "some" or even "many" but making racism an inherent characteristic of the Tea Party?

If you're going to say "you shouldn't do that, because what about this" you should make sure "this" isn't something that isn't already being done on a regular basis. I've used the argument you're using here many times, but I make sure to use something outrageous as my counter to what they're doing. I don't pick something that's commonplace. It really weakens what you're saying.

Medical bills - good idea.

Student loans? Why would you do that? "I took out a loan to get an education and got the education and now I can't make the money to pay it back" and the response is "Don't worry I'll buy your debt and forgive it for you"? So the people who do the right thing, get a good degree that prepares them for a job, then work to pay off their debt get nothing while we reward the people who made poor choices and aren't contributing to society or showing personal responsibility? Typical liberal logic.

We should have the deferments where if you aren't working you don't have to pay it. That's fine. But just forgiving forever it is crazy. You signed the loan, you took the classes. You pay the loan back.
Many students end up over a hundred thousand in debt, and can't find jobs right after college, they have to postpone the repayment of loan while the interest on loans pile up.
There was a time when a high school diploma was needed to get a decent job so we made high school free, now a college education is needed for a decent job so it is time for college to be free.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:13 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Many students end up over a hundred thousand in debt, and can't find jobs right after college, they have to postpone the repayment of loan while the interest on loans pile up.
There was a time when a high school diploma was needed to get a decent job so we made high school free, now a college education is needed for a decent job so it is time for college to be free.
Can't make college free,....Occupy wouldn't have anything to gripe about.

Forgive college loans,....in fact FORGIVE ALL DEBT PUBLIC OR PRIVATE,....isn't that what Occupy wants?

Guaranteed living wage regardless of whether one works or not,....isn't that what Occupy wants?

Life is full of choices so don't penalize those who make good choices by making them pay for others' bad choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies