Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:09 PM

990 posts, read 937,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
If you don't see the moral degradation of this culture, your head is in the sand.

In the 60's we had "My Girl", in 2012 we have "Girl, shake that booty meat".

I have more extreme examples if you are interested.
Yeah, because popular music is the only measure of morality.
How about the fact that murder rates have actually fallen significantly over the past 40 years?
Hell, in 1960 the Murder rate was 5.1/100,000 residents and in 2010 it was 4.8/100,000. In other words, if 1960 and 2010 both had 300,000,000 residents, 1960 would have 900 MORE murders than 2010.

Oh yeah, and in 1960 black people and women were 2nd class citizens. Women could be fondled by their boss at work and not have any way to fight it. Blacks weren't even allowed in the same restrooms or even allowed to use the same water fountains back then in many places.

Media coverage is just more significant for this kind of story now, back then it was all about the Cold War and geopolitical stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
This stuff has always happened only it didn't used to make the national news. This truly is nothing new. It's still sad but to claim we are currently having some sort of moral crisis or that morality is in any way less because you finally read about this sort of thing is retarded as well as wrong.
You are so right. My GF thinks that walking from our condo to the supermarket around the corner is somehow dangerous even though not a single woman has ever been kidnapped or murdered in that part of the neighborhood. It's just irrational fear brought about by media being unwilling to do any real reporting and focusing on sensationalistic stories instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 01:14 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,436,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Seriously? They Killed this girl for her Bicycle parts?

What is this world coming to!

New Jersey authorities say girl was strangled by teen brothers for parts of her BMX bike

[color=#000000]

New Jersey authorities say girl was strangled by teen brothers for parts of her BMX bike | Fox News
What part shocks you? The age of the girl? The murder? The theft itself? Theft for parts?

[none of this really shocks me]

Old 10-24-2012, 01:18 PM

467 posts, read 663,219 times
This is why people need to take up a vigil of some kind for the children and youth. Obviously, it is a dire situation.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:48 PM

19 posts, read 12,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Hundreds of people get murdered everyday so I don't know why this case is deemed more tragic than any other murder case.
Just another day in a black neighborhood.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:11 PM

78,014 posts, read 60,221,209 times
With 300million people in the US, you are going to hear more stories like this than you did decades ago just because there are more people.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:19 PM

3,090 posts, read 3,959,531 times
Just read that the mother of the two teenagers turned in her sons for the murder.

It shocks the heck out of me. It was a young girl murdered for bike parts. Can't begin to imagine what her family is going through.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:43 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,900,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
With 300million people in the US, you are going to hear more stories like this than you did decades ago just because there are more people.
I think a further reaching media network will have more to do with that dynamic....

These types of things have always been happening....I'm sure with relative frequency. Maybe even more because it was much easier to not get caught as little as 15 years ago!

Old 10-24-2012, 04:41 PM

6,392 posts, read 5,158,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
This stuff has always happened only it didn't used to make the national news. This truly is nothing new. It's still sad but to claim we are currently having some sort of moral crisis or that morality is in any way less because you finally read about this sort of thing is retarded as well as wrong.
I disagree. This did NOT always happen, that 2 teenage boys lure and kill a preteen girl for her possessions.

If this is the norm where you are from then I feel for you. It's certainly not the norm where I live.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:44 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,956,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
If you don't see the moral degradation of this culture, your head is in the sand.

In the 60's we had "My Girl", in 2012 we have "Girl, shake that booty meat".

I have more extreme examples if you are interested.
Yeah - and the liberals would decry the "My Girl" as implying that a female human being is the possesion of a man(when that has nothing at all to do with the song) yet say nothing about the coarseness and degradation of a song that highlights a female body part and refers to it as "meat".

We have truly gone downhill.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:48 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,290,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
This is why people need to take up a vigil of some kind for the children and youth. Obviously, it is a dire situation.
No, juvenile offenders need to surrender control of their time to the authorities on the first offense.

Second time around?? -- boot camp!!

Three strikes?? -- Hard labor, at a place where lawyers find it hard to get in.

And if the ever see the street again, they need to be made easily recognizable, and kept out of neighborhoods where they obviously have no business.

Meanwhile, the NEA preaches "rehabilitation", "healing" and "community" --- worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies