Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 09:51 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times

Advertisements

Do you really believe that adding 10s of millions more people onto an already overburned healthcare insurance system will make things cheaper? If 10 million more people bought gas today, than yesterday, would that make the price go down? If 10,000 more people suddenly wanted to go to the FSU vs VT game on Thursday night, would the price go down? Seriously liberals, you can't tell me you really think this way.

Do you really think Obama's inflationary spending policies help the middle class in a time of stagnant wages? Do you really think Obama, with the Benghazi debacle, thousands of dead civilians as the result of his drones is good with foreign policy? Do you really think Obama, who extended the Patriot act is the chanmpion of civil liberties and peace?

This has to be some cruel twist of revenge for all those years the right defended Bush regardless of what he did because this administration's acts and the left's defense of it is simply illogical otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 09:53 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Do you really believe that adding 10s of millions more people onto an already overburned healthcare insurance system will make things cheaper? If 10 million more people bought gas today, than yesterday, would that make the price go down?
I remember why I don't hang out here that often anymore: Strawman arguments derived for pure fantasy and some of the worst analogies ever.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I remember why I don't hang out here that often anymore: Strawman arguments derived for pure fantasy and some of the worst analogies ever.
I wish people would quit misappropriating the term "strawman." All you're doing is avoiding the question you have no reasonable answer to.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:58 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,775 times
I think they just like the idea of free healthcare.

It does sound nice, until you start asking questions about how it is all going to work and get paid for.

I forsee the cost of healthcare going up as greedy medical practitioners start billing whatever they want, knowing the government will pay for it. Many of those same people vote republican and say they hate moochers whilst gaming the system. Just my .02

Old 10-24-2012, 09:59 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
I wish people would quit misappropriating the term "strawman." All you're doing is avoiding the question you have no reasonable answer to.
Horrible analogies would apply to your post, in case you weren't aware.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:00 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
Quote:
Do you really believe that adding 10s of millions more people onto an already overburned healthcare insurance system will make things cheaper? If 10 million more people bought gas today, than yesterday, would that make the price go down? If 10,000 more people suddenly wanted to go to the FSU vs VT game on Thursday night, would the price go down? Seriously liberals, you can't tell me you really think this way.

Do you really think Obama's inflationary spending policies help the middle class in a time of stagnant wages? Do you really think Obama, with the Benghazi debacle, thousands of dead civilians as the result of his drones is good with foreign policy? Do you really think Obama, who extended the Patriot act is the chanmpion of civil liberties and peace?

This has to be some cruel twist of revenge for all those years the right defended Bush regardless of what he did because this administration's acts and the left's defense of it is simply illogical otherwise.
I can't believe 10,000 people period would want to go to a VTech game.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:02 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
I think they just like the idea of free healthcare.

It does sound nice, until you start asking questions about how it is all going to work and get paid for.

I forsee the cost of healthcare going up as greedy medical practitioners start billing whatever they want, knowing the government will pay for it. Many of those same people vote republican and say they hate moochers whilst gaming the system. Just my .02
There's something remarkable about people claiming an initiative predicated upon forcing people who haven't paid for their health care costs in the past now having to pay as being some sort of "free giveaway."

Old 10-24-2012, 10:04 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,775 times
Quote:
Why is it a bad analogy?

Sounded like he is saying demand has a place in determining price. If more people are willing(able) to pay, wouldn't it stand to reason that those who control the resource would raise the price? Greed being the natural reaction. Do you think that the health care industry will somehow behave differently than any other component of a free market system?

I might be ignorant and am looking forward to enlightenment. I don't know these things, Will they have in place a method to prevent price gouging?

I see education doing this. They know the government will pay, so they keep raising tuition.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Higher demand driving up prices isn't an analogy, it's called a law of economics.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I can't believe 10,000 people period would want to go to a VTech game.
I can't believe it either, but here we have 80+ consecutive home sell outs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies