Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support Mourdock's view that rape is something god intended?
Yes, he is correct. Jesus is the lord and savior that made it happen 5 10.64%
No, Mourdock is a nutcase just as Willard is to endorse him. 42 89.36%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 12:01 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylläri View Post
This is what Mourdock said:

"I struggled with it myself for a long time, but I came to realize that life is that gift from God. And, I think, even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen,"

Many think the "that" can be read to be "rape" as easily as "that" can be read to be "life." Mourdock didn't explain himself adequately. With the way he said it, some thought it was like rubbing salt in the wounds of rape victims.

A more tasteful way of communicating that message, how about "Just as God brought forth new life from the great sin of the cross, so too God has brought forth new life from the great sin of their assault."?

Yes, any new life is blessing. But for God's sake, have a little sympathy for the victim. "Oh well, God will make good come of this..." Some may interpret it as if the rape was no big deal.
Yes, he was saying God intended for that baby to be born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 01:54 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylläri View Post
This is what Mourdock said:

"I struggled with it myself for a long time, but I came to realize that life is that gift from God. And, I think, even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen,"

Many think the "that" can be read to be "rape" as easily as "that" can be read to be "life." Mourdock didn't explain himself adequately. With the way he said it, some thought it was like rubbing salt in the wounds of rape victims.

A more tasteful way of communicating that message, how about "Just as God brought forth new life from the great sin of the cross, so too God has brought forth new life from the great sin of their assault."?

Yes, any new life is blessing. But for God's sake, have a little sympathy for the victim. "Oh well, God will make good come of this..." Some may interpret it as if the rape was no big deal.
If one takes God out of it for a moment and just looks at it from the "birds and bees" perspective and that we all know what happens when copulation occurs, at the end of the day to me it's not an excuse to double down on it and commit infanticide.

Not everyone says everything that pleases everyone, people just need to get over this nonsense that they feel they have the Right To Not Be Offended.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:04 PM

1,403 posts, read 937,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Nothing wrong with it if your wife wants to be barefoot and wearing an apron.

However, based on what your status says ("can't wait to be single again"), I wonder how well you really know your wife?
I am the one getting the divorce and not for that reason...

Old 10-26-2012, 03:13 PM

194 posts, read 297,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
If one takes God out of it for a moment and just looks at it from the "birds and bees" perspective and that we all know what happens when copulation occurs, at the end of the day to me it's not an excuse to double down on it and commit infanticide.

Not everyone says everything that pleases everyone, people just need to get over this nonsense that they feel they have the Right To Not Be Offended.
I couldn't agree more and you're right about people who have the Right to be Offended. I remember when people were "offended" by the term Obamacare, that is until Obama himself admitted he liked phrase himself. You don't hear about people being offended by the term anymore.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:15 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
Jesus didn't make it happen but He did allow it to happen for His own reasons which are not ours.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:17 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Just days ago tea party senate candidate Mourdock stated that a women getting raped is "Something that god indented to happen"

To most this seems to be outrageous, though Willard Romney has gone as far as to make appear in a campaign ad to support Mourdock.

How anyone with an ounce of sanity could support these lunatics is beyond me, but why would you?
He is an idiot, and he made a stupid comment, but this is politics, and political parties will support their candidate, especially when the stakes are high. We need a to retake the senate, to kill obamacare, so I expect a lot of folks will hold their noses and vote for, or endorse this idiot.

If we are going to start making a case to not vote for people who say stupid things, then both Biden and Obama are to be kicked to the curb on that alone.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:16 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Jesus didn't make it happen but He did allow it to happen for His own reasons which are not ours.
Any proof of this jesus guy?
And not the bible?

Old 10-26-2012, 11:23 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Some more good news is the latest poll has Donnelly up by +7 on Mourdock. Thank you tea party!

2012 Indiana Senate: Mourdock vs. Donnelly

Old 10-27-2012, 07:54 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
Tea Partiers have no idea how stupid they are. Mourdock didn't believe he was saying something stupid, it sounded perfectly rational to him, just as Todd Akin's "legitimate rape" comments were not a gaffe in that those are his beliefs. Tea Partiers really live in their own world where the values of the South in the 1930s are as valid as ever. They only know they said something stupid after the fact when people get angry at them, a lot like a 4 year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies