Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2012, 07:08 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Am referring to that other Kenyan President, Kenneth Kaunda.
nearly right - but Zambia is from where I actually hail, lol!

Quote:
Kenneth David Kaunda (born April 28, 1924), also known as KK, served as the first President of Zambia, from 1964 to 1991.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:16 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
99% of us don't care if gays get married, but when they come and demand we endorse it, and subsidize it, then they are asking us to make it our concern.
good comment - and this is why I make many posts on the subject.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:25 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Can't you see how this undermines the SSM argument though, and actually gives credence to the slippery slope effect
Not really.

Quote:
It seems that for the SSM abomination to pass, we must also allow for incestuous marriages.
There's really no true reason to ban either.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:32 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
Are you married? Do you have a marriage license? For those of you who are married that don't think the government should be involved in the marriage business.....have you dissolved your legal, governmental, ties? Have you cut the cord with the government, and civilly divorced your spouse? After all, you are still married in god's eyes, right? Hmm, I don't see too many of you doing that. You complain about government involvement but you seem to not want to have to give up the "goodies" that come automatically with marriage. That would mean you would have to work extra hard to try to obtain the over 1400 benefits and protections, on your own. Unfortunately, many of these benefits and protections could never be obtained on your own, without a marriage license.

You do realize that religion is not a requirement to be married, don't you? In fact, only civil marriages are recognized by this country. Couples who happen to participate in a religious ceremony still can't be legally married until they follow through with the civil aspect of the ceremony (signing of the marriage license etc). So why do you act as though you have some kind of "control" over the marriage market? Your religious ceremony is extraneous. Sure, it might be meaningful to you, but it is irrelevant to the govt.
Why would I dissolve my legal and government ties? Government should not tell me who and how many I can marry.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
No it doesn't. Entirely different legal arguments. And even if it did, they are addressed separately. We don't use slippery slope fallacies in the legal arena.

By the way, every country that advocates same-sex marriage strongly opposes polygamy and incest. Countries that strongly oppose same-sex marriage, support polygamy and incest. It's a 1st vs. 3rd World issue. I realize you Conservatives align with the likes of Saudi Arabia, but gay marriage will not lead to polygamy here.
Or maybe we could say "polygamy will not lead to gay marriage".....

And most of us could give a flying phouchk about what other countries do with marriage.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:37 PM

14 posts, read 14,365 times
Quote:
Let's see - in order to be PC and not 'discriminate' I should be allowed to marry my sister - right?

If the gays can do it , why can't I?

So the question is - how many SSM supporters out there agree with incest, and if not, why not?
Yep. Go ahead. Send me an invitation if you like and I'll attend or at least send you a gift. While you are at it, if you like, you even have my permission to go ahead and marry your mom, dad and grandma. My best wishes to your one big happy family.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
You're right. And since slippery-slope is so infallible we must conclude:

If same sex marriages are allowed then:
brother/sister marriages must be allowed
parent/child marriages must be allowed
human/other species marriages must be allowed
human inanimate object marriages must be allowed
Correct. If you want to change the definition of marriage, you need to let everyone define it in their own way.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:40 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Can't you see how this undermines the SSM argument though, and actually gives credence to the slippery slope effect.
No, it does not. By that logic, you could say heterosexual marriage started it all! Marriage hasn't always been a legal institution, so didn't that lead to everything else marriage-related?

To quote Jon Stewart, "If marijuana causes hard drug use, then birth causes death."

Quote:
It seems that for the SSM abomination to pass, we must also allow for incestuous marriages.
Maybe in your mind, but most intelligent humans can draw lines between laws... alcohol is legal but heroin is not, driving 65mph is legal (on some roads) but driving 90mph is not, marrying an 18 year-old is legal but marrying a 13 year-old is not, and so forth.

If your best argument against gay marriage is the tired slippery slope theory, which has already been proven as a fallacy in other aspects of the law, you are really grasping at straws now. Besides, I don't see anyone in Massachusetts, New York, Iowa, etc, pushing for legal incestuous or bestiality marriages - do you?? Gay marriages have been legal in those states for a while, and haven't caused major apocalyptic events or descents into anarchy.

Quote:
The joy of PC!
The whole idea of "PC" is really just a conservative obsession, whereas the rest of us only use it as a joke. People also tend to confuse "PC" with common courtesy, to the point where we can no longer even be POLITE or RESPECTFUL without being accused of succumbing to political correctness. Gay marriage is NOT about being politically correct, it is about allowing all Americans of consenting age the same rights... and I'm fairly sure any gay people looking to marry their partners would be highly offended by this notion.

27,139 posts, read 15,313,785 times
That wiould only be right in what's wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Oh, like what hets have?
Why do they have special privileges that others don't?
Why do homosexuals want special privileges that others don't have?

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-28-2012 at 04:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies