Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2012, 10:19 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

The last few responses got me thinking we need a poll.. I'm curious to see how many pro-SSM folks support polygamy (and maybe incest too), versus how many anti-SSM folks support it. We've had a general poll on polygamy, but I don't think it got that specific. Hmmm.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:24 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Let's see - in order to be PC and not 'discriminate' I should be allowed to marry my sister - right?

If the gays can do it , why can't I?

So the question is - how many SSM supporters out there agree with incest, and if not, why not?
Probably not if you live in Mississippi as she would probably be your stepmother as well.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:38 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Oy vey - this lame old argument again?

If the Cocker Spaniel can sign & agree to a legal marriage contract, and is over the age of consent (not sure if that would be dog or human years?) by all means have at it. Same goes for the OP's desire to marry his sister... if they're both of consenting age, and physically/mentally able to sign a marriage contract, I couldn't care less. Unlike you and the OP, I don't bother imposing my beliefs into other people's lives.

The only issue with familial relations are related to procreation, and the potential for genetic disorders when siblings or other close relatives marry. Aside from that it's merely a social taboo, but in the Biblical days that wasn't even the case - at least not in terms of marrying a less closely-related family member. Heck, in my faith (Judaism) a second cousin is/was considered the PERFECT mate! My great-uncle was married to his second cousin, who was only 16 when he found her at a concentration camp recovery center & brought her to the US. Scandalous, huh?

Only a weak and/or evil person cannot tell right from wrong without the Bible... and our country is not a theocracy, so "G-d's laws" are irrelevant to the actual nation's laws anyway. Which god are you referring to, btw?

If you are stealing from somebody, they are an unwilling victim. If you are marrying somebody with their consent, there is no victim involved. Here, I'll lay it out for you, since you don't seem to understand the issues here...

Theft = victim = wrong
Murder = victim = wrong
Assault = victim = wrong
Pedophilia = victim = wrong
Homosexuality = no victim = subjective
Incest = no victim (if both parties are consenting adults) = subjective

The Launch GDS is a professional grade automotive scan tool. It competes with the Snap-on MODIS and OTC Genisys. It is also by far the most pirated automotive scan tool in history. A genuine Launch GDS is manufactured in China and retails for about $3,000. Pirated copies of the Launch GDS are also manufactured in China and sell for $1,000 or less. The fake ones are easily purchased from a number of Chinese companies and shipped directly to the US.

If I am willing to purchase a pirated Launch GDS and a Chinese company is willing to sell one to me, no one else is directly involved in the transaction and there is no victim.

Since I was never going to actually pony up the $3K to buy a legitimate tool, Launch cannot lose a sale because I was never going to buy their product to begin with.

Mechanics and shop owners who have already purchased legitimate Launch GDS scan tools are in no way impacted by my decision to purchase a pirated copy.

Do these flawed arguments seem reasonable to you?

They should.

They are essentially the same arguments liberals make in support of homosexual marriage.

Of course I cannot purchase a pirated version of a name brand product without driving down the purchase and resale price of the legitimate products.

That the market is so flooded with imitation Launch GDSs makes competing products like the MODIS and Genisys more attractive than they would otherwise be.

People who have purchased legitimate tools have been cheated of resale value because buyers can't be sure of what they are purchasing and shy away from the brand.

Lots of people become victims when two consenting parties come together to change the meaning of a word.

It makes no difference if that word is Launch GDS or marriage.

In both cases, that which the word describes is impacted by the word's improper use.

For married couples, the use the word marriage to describe homosexual unions alters the meaning of the one word that describes the most important relationships they have.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:03 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,836,753 times
So as expected, it seems that most of those that support SSM also support incestuous marriage and polygamy.

This is because they have to in order to not derail their own position on SSM.

Proof that the slippery slope is already beginning......

Old 10-26-2012, 11:08 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Is that from the same book that tells slaves to obey their masters?
Deflection.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
So as expected, it seems that most of those that support SSM also support incestuous marriage and polygamy.

Yep - and your argument is stronger then my asking why I can't marry my cat. I only use that to demonstrate how ridiculous the notion of SSM is - but unlike my argument - they can't slither away from yours with the "a cat can't give consent" tactic.

If a brother and sister both consent - then why shouldn't they be able to marry - if the argument is that homosexuals should be able to also marry?

For the record - I am against incestual relationships, homosexual relationships, and human-animal marriages.

All three are equally abhorent.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:17 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:

Yep. Soon SE Asians will be marrying their brothers. Deep Kimchi, Deep Kimchi. Slippery slope, indeed.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Yep. Soon SE Asians will be marrying their brothers. Deep Kimchi, Deep Kimchi. Slippery slope, indeed.
Kimchi is Korean - that poster lives in Cambodia.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:21 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Hmmm. Anyone against people marrying themselves?

That's something I would look into.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:23 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Can't you see how this undermines the SSM argument though, and actually gives credence to the slippery slope effect.

It seems that for the SSM abomination to pass, we must also allow for incestuous marriages.

The joy of PC!
No it doesn't.
It simply makes your posts look more and more idiotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies