Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 09:50 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
According to God's Holy, inviolable Word, you cannot marry your sister. You can't marry a person of the same sex as you either.

The Bible appears to be a bit fuzzy on incest, in general:

Incest in the Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-26-2012, 09:52 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
According to God's Holy, inviolable Word, you cannot marry your sister.
God also forgot to describe the relationship between Cain and his wife prior to marriage.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Might as well throw in the cocker spaniel while you're at it. If you ignore God's laws, then there is no absolute right or wrong. If I wish to steal from you, I do it. it is OK with me. If you feel it is wrong that is just your opinion.

All the way to post #23 before you caved-in to the bestiality comparisons, eh, Bideshi? Impressive will power.

Why don't you list all the legal contracts you *can* enter into with your cocker spaniel for us?

Old 10-26-2012, 09:55 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Let's see - in order to be PC and not 'discriminate' I should be allowed to marry my sister - right?

If the gays can do it , why can't I?

So the question is - how many SSM supporters out there agree with incest, and if not, why not?
You're right. And since slippery-slope is so infallible we must conclude:

If same sex marriages are allowed then:
brother/sister marriages must be allowed
parent/child marriages must be allowed
human/other species marriages must be allowed
human inanimate object marriages must be allowed

The only way to stop from sliding down this slippery slope is to disallow same sex marriages.

BUT

Is that the top of the slope? Or has something else already have us over the edge.

People of the same sex will want to get married since people of the opposite sex can get married. The only way to prevent a person from marrying their remote control is to ban one-man-one-woman marriage.

Quote:
According to God's Holy, inviolable Word, you cannot marry your sister. You can't marry a person of the same sex as you either.
Citation needed

Old 10-26-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Incest is sex with your sibling, not marriage.

And government should not tell me who and how many I can marry.

One of the things you and I see eye-to-eye on, Roadking. Reps to you.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:56 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Quote:
so can I marry my sister or not?
Perhaps you should ask this question to a therapist who specializes in incestual relationships.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Once we redefine marriage to allow gays to marry, it does open it up to other interpretations.

No, it really doesn't.

Quote:
If marriage is no longer an institution for raising a family, no longer about children, then why can't two brothers or two sisters marry each other?
Until we start reserving marriage for only people who procreate, this topic is a non-starter.

Quote:
If marriage is no longer about children, then why cant siblings, or mothers and sons, marry if they are medically incapable of having children? Why couldn't two college roommates enter into a no-fault marriage? Why can't a bisexual marry a man and a woman?
See above.

Quote:
If marriage is just about our right to tax cuts, and other marriage perks, how can anyone deny me me right to marry anyone I choose?
They shouldn't. Glad we can agree on that!

Old 10-26-2012, 10:17 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
No, it really doesn't.

Until we start reserving marriage for only people who procreate, this topic is a non-starter.

See above.

They shouldn't. Glad we can agree on that!
We do not need to redefine marriage, just to appease gays, sorry, end of line.

Men and women having sex do make babies, which is why marriage applies to them. It's really that simple.

We the people in our states make the laws to reflect the society we want to live in, they may appear arbitrary to you, but that's tough. Every time you don't like something, you cannot run to the fedes or the courts to force your views down the throats of everyone else.

Lots of our laws are arbitrary in nature, like child labor laws, drinking laws, driving laws, and even marriage laws. Get married, no one can stop you, but don't demand we endorse it and subsidize it against our will.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:18 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Once we redefine marriage to allow gays to marry, it does open it up to other interpretations.

If marriage is no longer an institution for raising a family, no longer about children, then why can't two brothers or two sisters marry each other?

If marriage is no longer about children, then why cant siblings, or mothers and sons, marry if they are medically incapable of having children? Why couldn't two college roommates enter into a no-fault marriage? Why can't a bisexual marry a man and a woman?

If marriage is just about our right to tax cuts, and other marriage perks, how can anyone deny me me right to marry anyone I choose?
Oh crap! Now I gotta tell my wife of 43 years that we aren't legally married because we decided prior to our marriage we weren't having children. Sheesh, I hate these exclusive clubs!

Old 10-26-2012, 10:26 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
so can I marry my sister or not?
Much better that you marry your sister rather than mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies