Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 11:48 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
No recording of the phone conversation? Then it is definitely hearsay. It won't be useful at all. It won't even be considered valuable evidence since it can't be verified.
The fact that she was on the phone with him, minutes before he died can be verified through phone records. Her testimony, just like most witness testimony is based on her account and what she heard. One of my childhood friends was murderd by his mother's fiancee, who planted drugs around him to make it appear as if he was murdered in a drug deal gone bad. He was on the phone with his girlfriend when he heard someone entering his home. She was on hold while he was being killed. Although she had no idea who it was, she still testified in court about what she heard.

She can testify about what she heard, not what anyone else said basically. So if she says that she told him to run because he told her that he was being followed, they can say that him saying he was being followed is hearsay, but they can't say that her telling him to run is. If she says it sounded like he was being pushed or that she heard shuffling, that is not hearsay. If she says that she heard the voice of another male, that is not hearsay. If she says that Trayvon Martin sounded scared or that she heard heavy breathing, it isn't hearsay. I am sure that the defense will say some of her testimony is hearsay, but that does not render her testimony meaningless. Again, the fact that she spoke with him is easy to prove and what really matter is how the jury perceives her testimony. I am sure she WILL testify.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,933,159 times
I use to have a teenage son who thought he was tough.
He hurt no one. Accept one kid he punched in the face for bullying him.
He was an A student on through college.

Thank God no one persued and killed him over what they thought he could do.
He's a wonderful person whom I'm very proud of.

Sad this family will never have the chance to know their tough-teenager, as a tough-man.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
The fact that she was on the phone with him, minutes before he died can be verified through phone records. Her testimony, just like most witness testimony is based on her account and what she heard. One of my childhood friends was murderd by his mother's fiancee, who planted drugs around him to make it appear as if he was murdered in a drug deal gone bad. He was on the phone with his girlfriend when he heard someone entering his home. She was on hold while he was being killed. Although she had no idea who it was, she still testified in court about what she heard.

She can testify about what she heard, not what anyone else said basically. So if she says that she told him to run because he told her that he was being followed, they can say that him saying he was being followed is hearsay, but they can't say that her telling him to run is. If she says it sounded like he was being pushed or that she heard shuffling, that is not hearsay. If she says that she heard the voice of another male, that is not hearsay. If she says that Trayvon Martin sounded scared or that she heard heavy breathing, it isn't hearsay. I am sure that the defense will say some of her testimony is hearsay, but that does not render her testimony meaningless. Again, the fact that she spoke with him is easy to prove and what really matter is how the jury perceives her testimony. I am sure she WILL testify.
It's meaningless. It's all they have so they are going to try and make you believe it is strong evidence, when it is far from it. The EYEWITNESSES' testimony will be hard to overcome.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:00 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It won't prove a thing as to who started what. I will bet any amount of money DD is a liar and she won't be put on the stand so she doesn't commit purgery.
I agree. The girl is useless.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:00 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I am sure she WILL testify.
After listening to and reading a transcript of her deposition, I don't think the state will call her. I wouldn't be surprised if she disappears during the trial to avoid being called by the defense.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:14 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
After listening to and reading a transcript of her deposition, I don't think the state will call her. I wouldn't be surprised if she disappears during the trial to avoid being called by the defense.

I doubt they would refer to her as a star witness if that's the case. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see. I think it's kind of silly for people to make statements about it being meaningless, unless the judge says so. It reminds me of all those threads about Romney winning in a landslide. We just don't know how it is going play out. I don't think that anyone is not of the belief that Zimmerman got his *** beat. However, some of us still take issue with a person who follows and scares a person then shoots them. If Trayvon Martin was standing his ground, how is it that Zimmerman was standing his? If Trayvon felt that his life was in danger or that Zimmerman intended to inflict bodily harm, why wouldn't he have the right to defend himself. How does a person get away with starting a confrontation then claiming self defense when it doesn't work out in his favor? Too bad Trayvon Martin wasn't carrying a gun that night. If Zimmerman were shot by him and both lived to tell their stories, I wonder how some of you would react.

Those calling Trayvon a thug or accusing him of casing houses, clearly have an agenda. Compassion and respect for human life are not part of it. This whole image of Trayvon Martin walking around all hardcore waiting for someone to approach him just so he can beat him to a bloody pulp is ridiculous. I have put myself in his shoes many times, and I can only imagine how fearful I would be if I were walking alone, at night, in the rain with some wierdo following me. He had rights as well. Some people obviously refuse to acknowledge that and would rather envision the victim as a ruthless killer or an animal.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:55 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
- So he was a kid that dressed like a tough ganger, with no weapons.
Breaking no law.
But was persued by a man with a gun. Who murdered him.
The moral of the story seems to be in you're a black male don't wear hoodies at night in the rain as you walk from the store.

The lack of respect here amazes me. What is the point of calling Trayvon names or mocking him? I guess this is a forum full of perfect people who never got in trouble in school or tried drugs/alchohol as kids.

I skipped Spanish class in 9th grade to make out with my boyfriend...its a good thing I wasn't raped the next day or people would have said "well you know she was suspended for kissing a boy just yesterday"

He wasn't smoking weed when this occurred. He wasn't taking "gangster photos" when this occurred so why is that even important?

Old 12-06-2012, 02:57 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Shadow View Post
doesn't matter how large or small the amount. are you saying Martin isn't a pothead? the school that suspended him believes him to be... i see that you approve of pot smoking as long as there is a small trace amount.

stop ignoring the facts. his 911 recording clearly shows that zimmerman didn't know martin was black when he first encountered him. the 911 operator was the one asking if the suspect was black. zimmerman's conversation had no concerns with what race the hooded person was.

if it fits the description of the one burglarizing the homes, yes. but in this case, race wasn't a factor with zimmerman.

here in the south, we are all unofficial neighborhood watchers... and we also have guns.

NWA still has to comply with the u.s. constitution.

and this makes zimmerman a murderer? how so?

it wasn't an accident that zimmerman shot martin. martin's poor judgement got him killed. zimmerman did what he was suppose to do. confront suspicious looking strangers in his community. when i lived in a gated community in FL, i did the same, but more politely. martin's bad judgement is physically assaulting someone with a gun.

many people believe that zimmerman pulled out his gun and martin started to scream for help. then zimmerman waited until his head was bashed in and punched in the nose before killing martin. somehow, i don't see that happening.

No, Trayvon Martin "isn't" a pot head...he's DEAD. If you can't get something that simple right, why bother trying to answer the rest? No good reason.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:02 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
- So he was a kid that dressed like a tough ganger, with no weapons.
Breaking no law.
But was persued by a man with a gun. Who murdered him.
None of which is relevant to the point. The point isn't what happened, the point I was responding to was about media coverage.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:12 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by factsplease View Post
i doubt they would refer to her as a star witness if that's the case. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see. I think it's kind of silly for people to make statements about it being meaningless, unless the judge says so. It reminds me of all those threads about romney winning in a landslide. We just don't know how it is going play out. I don't think that anyone is not of the belief that zimmerman got his *** beat. However, some of us still take issue with a person who follows and scares a person then shoots them. If trayvon martin was standing his ground, how is it that zimmerman was standing his? If trayvon felt that his life was in danger or that zimmerman intended to inflict bodily harm, why wouldn't he have the right to defend himself. How does a person get away with starting a confrontation then claiming self defense when it doesn't work out in his favor? Too bad trayvon martin wasn't carrying a gun that night. If zimmerman were shot by him and both lived to tell their stories, i wonder how some of you would react.

Those calling trayvon a thug or accusing him of casing houses, clearly have an agenda. Compassion and respect for human life are not part of it. This whole image of trayvon martin walking around all hardcore waiting for someone to approach him just so he can beat him to a bloody pulp is ridiculous. I have put myself in his shoes many times, and i can only imagine how fearful i would be if i were walking alone, at night, in the rain with some wierdo following me. He had rights as well. Some people obviously refuse to acknowledge that and would rather envision the victim as a ruthless killer or an animal.

^^^^^^this^^^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies