Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 09:40 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,396,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
If gz had kept his mouth shut, he'd probably have to testify as a practical matter to tell his side of the story. Because he did the reverse and talked too much, he won't have to testify. He's told his story. Unless he's a moron who insists on testifying [possible] or his lawyers think he'd be a great witness [impossible], no witness stand for gz.
Who or what type of witnesses do you think the defense will put on the stand when it's their turn to present their case? Remember they filed the affirmative defense of self defense, which means they have said they want to put on evidence.

Remember there are inconsistencies in the different statements Zimmerman has made. It will be Zimmerman's credibility which the state will attack. So if they enter those statements and video clips of Zimmerman on national TV as exhibits, the jury will have those things with them in jury room when deliberating. They can get those statements in evidence via the various officers who questioned him.

Actually, it would not surprise me at all if Zimmerman insists on testifying against the advice of his attorneys.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
I really agree with you. I don't see how the defense makes thier case without putting Zimmerman on the stand. I was just stating the options the defense had; with "the lawyer testifying for the client" not being one of them.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:04 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,487,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I know that Zimmerman is not required to take the stand; it's his legal right to testify or to not testify.

However, I'm wondering, since they filed an affirmative defense in this case of self defense, how do they make their case, who will they put on the stand when it's their turn, or can they just say when the state rests that they have no witnesses?
GZ gave numerous statements to the cops; did reenactments; gave tv interviews; had a website. Those statements will be introduced by one side or the other. That's how his side of the story gets told.

Despite the inconsistencies and parts that might hurt gz, there's no way in heck his lawyers will suggest he can fix those problems by testifying.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:44 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,542,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Who cares? He was legally able to carry it.

It's interesting how the left portrays Martin potentially casing a house to rob as him just taking a stroll in the neighborhood but anything Zimmerman did has suspicion or evil intent attached to it.

Now I'm not saying Martin wasn't just taking a walk, and I'm not saying Zimmerman wasn't trolling for a confrontation.

I'm just saying either question both or question neither.
It's not the pro-Martin folks that said that he was just walking, it was George Zimmerman. Remember, in his police call, he had every chance to describe why he found Martin suspicious. And what he said was "it's raining, and he's just walking around, looking about." And when given the chance to do a walkthrough, he describes Martin walking down the street, and then turning and walking down Twin Trees Lane. At no point does Zimmerman suggest that Martin was casing houses - and this is supposedly the neighborhood watch captain who has correctly told the cops when he saw someone casing a house on previous occasions.

The reason why people considered that Zimmerman might be a racist, is due to the large number of people in his personal life, particularly Frank Taffe, who freely described him as such. Taffe in particular, described "Trayvon-like dudes with their pants down" (feel free to google the quote). And of course, it doesn't help that he's the one who was tailing a person who he himself described as simply walking in the rain.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:12 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,640,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
The reason why people considered that Zimmerman might be a racist, is due to the large number of people in his personal life, particularly Frank Taffe, who freely described him as such. .
You mean like those little black kids he tutored? Those people in his personal life?

Old 12-10-2012, 06:12 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,497,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Who or what type of witnesses do you think the defense will put on the stand when it's their turn to present their case? Remember they filed the affirmative defense of self defense, which means they have said they want to put on evidence.

Remember there are inconsistencies in the different statements Zimmerman has made. It will be Zimmerman's credibility which the state will attack. So if they enter those statements and video clips of Zimmerman on national TV as exhibits, the jury will have those things with them in jury room when deliberating. They can get those statements in evidence via the various officers who questioned him.

Actually, it would not surprise me at all if Zimmerman insists on testifying against the advice of his attorneys.

I agree!

Old 12-10-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
GZ gave numerous statements to the cops; did reenactments; gave tv interviews; had a website. Those statements will be introduced by one side or the other. That's how his side of the story gets told.

Despite the inconsistencies and parts that might hurt gz, there's no way in heck his lawyers will suggest he can fix those problems by testifying.
Then WHO, what evidence will they put on after the state rests and it's their turn? If they didn't want to put on evidence, they didn't have to file an affirmative defense (which requires you to put on evidence) and Zimmerman could have simply relied upon the presumption of innocence.....which means that he would not be required to put on any evidence. In that situation, what teh defense would have done was just try to destroy the credibility of the State's witnesses through cross examination, put on no evidence, and then argue the presumption of innocence and that Zimmerman feared for his life. HOWEVER, they are in a position that they have to put on a case (evidence). Who would they call? What would those witnesses say? I am almost positive that the Defense is NOT going to enter into evidence any one particular statement made by Zimmerman and rely only on that because the State in their case can enter all the statements, and it would be sooooo easy to point out the inconsistencies in his statements.

They've still got six months before trial. Seems to me that his only real chance is to be so convincing on the witness stand that the jury disregards all the State's case. I don't think Zimmerman has that kind of acting talent. So, I'm wonder WHO adn WHAT evidence they're going to put on? Can you think of anyone or anything other than his written and oral statements prior to arrest, and even AFTER arrest when he went on national TV talking about the case???

And then ULTIMATELY Zimmerman's lawyers don't have the right to make the decision for him of whether or not he testifies. That's his right. I'm thinking because of the affirmative defense/self defense filing, if Zimmerman does not testify, the Judge will explain to him that it is his right, and his alone, to decide whether or not he wants to testify. Zimmerman has to answer that question. If that were omitted from the trial by the Judge, then I think that could be an appeal issue for Zimmerman if he were found guilty.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:43 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,298,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post

Now I'm not saying Martin wasn't just taking a walk, and I'm not saying Zimmerman wasn't trolling for a confrontation.

I'm just saying either question both or question neither.
We KNOW what Martin was doing. He had just gotten Skittles and a drink from a convenience store and was heading back to his father's place.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You mean like those little black kids he tutored? Those people in his personal life?
It doesn't matter if he resuscitated old black women choking on ham hocks or once saved a drowning black child.

The whole race factor is only an issue when it comes to the ramifications of the case. It doesn't matter why Zimmerman chose to follow Martin. He was wrong.

The fact is he stalked a 140 lb person on his way home from a convenience store armed with a pack of Skittles for no reason than wearing a hoodie and walking slowly. This person started to run away from him by his own admission on the 911 tape. Said person ends up dead.

Zimmerman's stories are riddled with inconsistencies.

What are inconsistencies indicative of?

Lying.

And why would a person who had to kill someone in self-defense lie?

Because he didn't kill someone in self defense.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
[/b]
I agree!
If he does testify he's a moron.

But I hope he does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.