Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:13 PM

781 posts, read 1,195,839 times

Advertisements

For those that didn't read the linked article...

But judging from the unscientific — borderline crazy — statements opposing abortion that we’re hearing lately, there is reason to believe that this delicate balance could be threatened if Mitt Romney and Representative Paul Ryan, and their even more extreme allies, get elected. So to those who want to protect a woman’s right to control what happens with her own body, let me offer just one piece of advice: to name something is to own it. If you can name an issue, you can own the issue. And we must stop letting Republicans name themselves “pro-life” and Democrats as “pro-choice.” It is a huge distortion.

In my world, you don’t get to call yourself “pro-life” and be against common-sense gun control — like banning public access to the kind of semiautomatic assault rifle, designed for warfare, that was used recently in a Colorado theater. You don’t get to call yourself “pro-life” and want to shut down the Environmental Protection Agency, which ensures clean air and clean water, prevents childhood asthma, preserves biodiversity and combats climate change that could disrupt every life on the planet. You don’t get to call yourself “pro-life” and oppose programs like Head Start that provide basic education, health and nutrition for the most disadvantaged children. You can call yourself a “pro-conception-to-birth, indifferent-to-life conservative.” I will never refer to someone who pickets Planned Parenthood but lobbies against common-sense gun laws as “pro-life.”

“Pro-life” can mean only one thing: “respect for the sanctity of life.” And there is no way that respect for the sanctity of life can mean we are obligated to protect every fertilized egg in a woman’s body, no matter how that egg got fertilized, but we are not obligated to protect every living person from being shot with a concealed automatic weapon. I have no respect for someone who relies on voodoo science to declare that a woman’s body can distinguish a “legitimate” rape, but then declares — when 99 percent of all climate scientists conclude that climate change poses a danger to the sanctity of all life on the planet — that global warming is just a hoax.

The term “pro-life” should be a shorthand for respect for the sanctity of life. But I will not let that label apply to people for whom sanctity for life begins at conception and ends at birth. What about the rest of life? Respect for the sanctity of life, if you believe that it begins at conception, cannot end at birth. That radical narrowing of our concern for the sanctity of life is leading to terrible distortions in our society.

Respect for life has to include respect for how that life is lived, enhanced and protected — not only at the moment of conception but afterward, in the course of that life. That’s why, for me, the most “pro-life” politician in America is New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg. While he supports a woman’s right to choose, he has also used his position to promote a whole set of policies that enhance everyone’s quality of life — from his ban on smoking in bars and city parks to reduce cancer, to his ban on the sale in New York City of giant sugary drinks to combat obesity and diabetes, to his requirement for posting calorie counts on menus in chain restaurants, to his push to reinstate the expired federal ban on assault weapons and other forms of common-sense gun control, to his support for early childhood education, to his support for mitigating disruptive climate change.

Now that is what I call “pro-life.”

Why I Am Pro-Life - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 09:50 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Simply brilliant.

Why I Am Pro-Life - NYTimes.com

I'd quote a few key, specific sections, but think it's quite worthwhile to read the article in its entirety.
I am both Pro Life and " Anti -Gun Assault Rifle Type at least " having not owned a gun since my military days in which I was rated as a expert marksman ( guns have a valid function in the Military ) but not in civilians places of abode.

I the author of this poem allow it to be displayed on City - Data "" howard keith west " (AKA) " howest2008 "....

It Was Her Body After All

It Was Her Body But She Wasn't In Complete Control Of It
She has to use Abortion as a form of late and tardy Birth Control

It was her body and she insisted on doing whatever she wanted to do with it
She didn't think about Birth Control to keep her body safe from unwanted pregnancies

Her body belonged to her and nobody else she kept on saying to herself
But the infants in her womb had to die a Millions Deaths

A woman ought to be able to control her own body
But during unprotected lovemaking her body was totally out of control

Spinning and flying and racing and contorting and climaxing without protection
Making a baby out of nothingness not loved and not wanted in this present world

When we have sex without mental thoughts it becomes sex and hex and vex
And something within a woman body just has to lay down it's life and die

Abortion was never intended to be a form of Birth Control
But anyway this is my body said the woman and mother of a unwanted and unloved baby

A helpless baby depends on the love of it's parents to protect and nurture it's life
But the mother says to the whole big wide world this is my body after all

And a preterm baby screens out in terror mommy you are hurting me please stop
But it was her body after all

Copyright 2012 Howard Keith West

The First Of Forever-Howard Keith West - It Was Her Body After All
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies