U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 02:31 AM

12,795 posts, read 7,041,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The OP never claimed what you stated. He did state that there is a political bias presented - and widely accepted - which states that white people are "racists" and ignores, that white people were the drivers of the abolitionist movement - and that without white abolitionists , we would still have slavery in this country. My assertion of that fact does not in any way denigrate the influence of black abolitionists such as Fredrich Douglas - I only state what I did to make clear the contribution of white abolitionists in the anti-slavery movement - becausae they are often overlooked - in current relating of history.
Many whites are racist. That's an unpleasant fact. But I don't know how anyone could study the history of slavery in the United States and not know that it was white abolitionists who played a key role in ending the institution, not to mention the hundreds of thousands of white soldiers who fought and died for that cause. There was no slave uprising, so it's obvious they didn't free themselves. I never had any problem as a child understanding that there were many whites who strongly believed slavery was wrong and that whites were the ones who fought the war that ended slavery, did you? How else could it have happened?

Quote:
Muslims are often cited by liberals as some group that should be "accepted" whatever that means - especially when it was Muslims who attacked our country on 9/11 and Muslims who were slave traders in previous eras - but liberals tend to ignore that - instead they blame white people - even when white people were the biggest proponents of abolitionism - both in Britain and America.
Yes, but whites were also the ones in this country who were buying and profiting off slave labor. There wouldn't have been any need for abolitionists otherwise, would there? No matter who was doing what in the rest of the world, you can't ignore the parts of our own history that are unflattering.

And why bring Muslims and 9/11 into a discussion about American slavery at all? By doing so, you and the OP are guilty of exactly the same kind of "tar everyone with the same brush" mentality that began this whole thread.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 02:34 AM

29,097 posts, read 23,490,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I see ingorance and stupidity abounds.
ARABS are white,some anyway.
Arabs and Muslim aren't synonymous.

You can be Arab and Christian.
The country with the largest population of Muslims is Indonesia,a non Arab country.

What are they teaching in American schools?
The fact that some Arabs are white is irrelevant - what is relevant is that when used in terms of discussing slavery - white people and Arab people are usually considered to be different.

My point was that white people were among the most vocal opponents of the slave trade and slavery in America - both in Britain and the United States.

Current liberal ideaology - taught as "history" in American schools - contradicts this truth.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:39 AM

8,406 posts, read 11,825,258 times
Quote:
The fact that some Arabs are white is irrelevant - what is relevant is that when used in terms of discussing slavery - white people and Arab people are usually considered to be different.

My point was that white people were among the most vocal opponents of the slave trade and slavery in America - both in Britain and the United States.

Current liberal ideaology - taught as "history" in American schools - contradicts this truth.
What makes you think I'm liberal? Is it because I have Jersey In my username?

We already know the following groups were anti slavery: the Quakers,New Englanders,the British,and the Canadians.
Most Ohioans were anti slavery as well. Some black women,Soujourner Truth,were abolitionists and anti slavery.
Same as Susan B Anthony.

How did I learn this? In my history books,of course.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:41 AM

8,406 posts, read 11,825,258 times
Quote:
He never said that, DID HE?

So your post is nothing but PRESUMPTIVE NONSENSE".

And what kind of "honest debate" could there be on the topic?

Are you seriously advocating for allowing slavery in this republic once again?
I've seen enough of his posts to come to that conclusion.

31,371 posts, read 33,825,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
while the forebears of their Black and Muslim classmates were busy fighting tooth and nail to keep the institution alive in other parts of the world? If it had have been Muslims and not Europeans who had abolished the slave trade, this would be the focus of much celebration and fanfare. It is only White children who are systematically stripped of their dignity and self-worth and made to loathe their history and their people. Only White children are publicly humiliated in such a way.
That's strange especially considering the fact that we have been commemorating the sesquicentennial of the Civil War for the last two years. That every major northern city has statutes honoring those who fought for the union and an end to slavery, and that the name of white abolitionist like Harriet Beecher Stowe, William Lloyd Garrison, Wendell Phillips, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, John Brown and Abe Lincoln are taught in every school (well maybe not Texas). So how white children are publicly humiliated is beyond me. Perhaps the problem lies with conservative new-confederate revisionist who have a penchant for deprecating their memories by referring to Lincoln as a mass murderer, Northern aggressors and despots and always trying to shift blame for the South's peculiar institution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Many whites are racist. That's an unpleasant fact. But I don't know how anyone could study the history of slavery in the United States and not know that it was white abolitionists who played a key role in ending the institution, not to mention the hundreds of thousands of white soldiers who fought and died for that cause. There was no slave uprising, so it's obvious they didn't free themselves. I never had any problem as a child understanding that there were many whites who strongly believed slavery was wrong and that whites were the ones who fought the war that ended slavery, did you? How else could it have happened?
I am glad that you think that way - but I can't reconcile your seemingly new understanding with you calling the OP's first post a "racist diatribe".

Maybe you didn't really mean what you first said - I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

But I would like to hear it in your own words(and yes, I know that starting a sentence with "but" is bad grammar - but I am about to go to sleep, and frankly - I don't care).

Old 10-28-2012, 02:46 AM

Quote:
What makes you think I'm liberal? Is it because I have Jersey In my username?
As far as I know - I never called you a liberal.

If you truly think that I did - would you care to quote me where I did?

If I did - then I apologize - but at the moment and until duly corrected, I think that I did not.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:50 AM

Quote:
I've seen enough of his posts to come to that conclusion.
Which posts would those be?

Old 10-28-2012, 02:55 AM

16,434 posts, read 20,195,212 times
Being born white in America seems to bear a stigma similar to the concept of original sin whereby all are born with the sin of Adam and Eve. The sins of the father are carried down to future generations. Every person on earth is descended from slave owners because slavery has existed since before recorded history. The descendants of slaves are also the descendants of slave owners. What can any of us do about it other than try not to repeat the sins of our ancestors?

Old 10-28-2012, 03:07 AM

12,795 posts, read 7,041,520 times
Quote:
I am glad that you think that way - but I can't reconcile your seemingly new understanding with you calling the OP's first post a "racist diatribe".

Maybe you didn't really mean what you first said - I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

But I would like to hear it in your own words(and yes, I know that starting a sentence with "but" is bad grammar - but I am about to go to sleep, and frankly - I don't care).
My opinion on the OP has not changed, precisely because of what I have written in the post you quoted. His claim is bogus. His real concern seems to be that whites aren't being "celebrated" enough to suit him, while ignoring the fact that there would be no need for the handful of abolitionists he wants to celebrate without the thousands of white slave owners who created the problem to begin with. That's our history, like it or not.

I notice you didn't address the second part of my post regarding Muslims, and why they were brought into his post at all. His need to denigrate Muslims when they had no bearing on the subject matter whatsoever was the biggest giveaway that the OP was, indeed, a racist diatribe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies