Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 05:58 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
The government will pay for it?

Let me ask again.

The government will pay for it?

NO. I WILL PAY FOR IT! And I'm not one bit happy about it.

Let me repeat: I WILL PAY FOR IT!

And nonsensical references to Nazis is way off topic. Nobody is suggesting we throw these babies into a gas chamber or take it out and shoot it. We're simply saying nature should take its course and they should not be kept alive ON THE TAYPAYER'S DOLLAR!
At least you are honest. I don't agree with your point of view but I can respect your honesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 06:05 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Amen Sister and certainly not a 'strawman' argument. Do pro-lifers value the sanctity of life enough to pay for the cost of birthing this baby?

Yes or No? The family could go out and work the day long and still NEVER be able to pay for the medical costs.

Seems to me that we owe the child some kind of medical care ~ especially pro-lifers, who would argue all day long that this child should not be aborted.
Well, since you clearly read my post where I called it a strawman argument, then you would have read my answer as well.

You tell me, "YES OR NO" did you read the rest of the post or did you quickly jump to your keyboard to spit out another crapfest on pro lifers?

Old 10-28-2012, 06:07 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,517 times
ALL potentially defective babies should be aborted by law. All the idiots out there that cry for the "rights" of unborn fetuses should be asking themselves why the "rights" of the defectives don't matter when it comes to their right not to be born. You either have "rights" or you don't.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yes, the pro-life crowd can deny her care. Pro-life is about helping the living, not showering the dead with tax-payer money that you don't even have in the first place.

etc, etc, ad infinitum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You know, Mircea, your posts contain a lot of good information but I doubt if 5% of the people read them because we just can't invest that much time and effort (and thought) into one post.

Why don't you break them up a little. Make three or four posts instead of one monumental one.

More people would read it. I'll bet you.

20yrsinBranson
I read every last word Mircea writes. One of the most intelligent people on this entire forum. The sarcasm thrown in here and there is just added delight.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I expect the "prolifers" to get up and donate to this child and fight to keep the child alive until the very end. It is Gods will that this child was conceived and born, right? Even if there were ***** defect, it is okay. Precious child from God...

And even if the mom considered abortion, the "prolifers" would be against it claiming it is oh so wrong and stops a beating heart. (Where is Harrier and his abortion stops a beating heart jargon? Yet...not surprised...)

So yeah, where are these so called "prolifers"? Oh wait....I should not have even bothered to ask. We know their story. What a bunch of judgmental and hypocritical people. Gotta see it to believe it.

They demand the baby be born but want nothing to do with it afterwards. True story. Be born, sucker but too bad about your genetic defects and don't think you can suck off my $$$$. We want to outlaw abortion and yet want no form of healthcare for people or babies (the most innocent and vulnerable of society) so just sucks to be you.

No wonder the Republican Party is the joke everyone laughs at.
Not everyone who is pro life is Christian, you know. Or, maybe you don't.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:32 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
It is when the taxpayer is paying for it. It's the ONLY issue when it comes out of taxpayer pockets.

The child should have been allowed to run whatever course it would have taken without medical intervention. Private charity is fine if that's the route the parents take, but it should never, ever be on the taxpayer.
I agree, and let me quote Mircea "Exactly".

If these parents do as they say then no tax payers monies should have been spent.

The million could have better been used to assist others more likely to recover and live.

To me it isn't about dollars it is about resources. After that quaility of life and in this case it is never going to be a win win.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:40 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I expect the "prolifers" to get up and donate to this child and fight to keep the child alive until the very end. It is Gods will that this child was conceived and born, right? Even if there were ***** defect, it is okay. Precious child from God...
Do you support the multi millions we spend every year for day care for the kids of low income parents?

If so, do you donate to this cause?

Old 10-28-2012, 06:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
ALL potentially defective babies should be aborted by law. All the idiots out there that cry for the "rights" of unborn fetuses should be asking themselves why the "rights" of the defectives don't matter when it comes to their right not to be born. You either have "rights" or you don't.
Hank Williams, John Mellencamp, Cheech Marin, and many others were born defective.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:10 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
I haven't read the whole thread and probably won't but, I have had a child that was given a limited number of years to live. Her profound disabilities did not show up before birth. She was a joy to all who knew her and our lives were blessed for the few years we had her. But, it became evident that she was suffering greatly and I became her nurse, as well as, mother, 24 hr/7 days a week.
Her doctor counseled me that I had two other, older children who needed me as much as my dear daughter did. We made the decision to institutionlize her at almost 2 yrs old and she passed away at 3 1/2 yrs. We visited her usually once a week. I have no doubt she is in a better place.

Had I not had other children, I would have kept her at home until she passed and would have been grateful to have been able to care for her needs. We did have insurance, this was in the 1960's. My husband would never have taken a handout, even for his child.

I do not know what I would have done, if I could have known and been given a choice of abortion or no. I just don't know. Yet I am grateful I knew her.

I had a distant relation that had a boy child out of wedlock. A handsome, sweet natured, smart little boy. At 5, he developed luekemia and endured much treatment and illness. When he went into the hospital the last time (6 1/2), it became obvious his brain was so damaged from illness and radiation, that he had no brain activity. His mother kept him on the ventilator for a couple of months after then and at one point, wanted to take him home on a ventilator, before she came to her senses.......he was completely cared for on the taxpayer dollar. I don't begrudge him a certain amount of care but I do fault her for keeping him on that machine, long after he was gone, in body and soul because she could not let go......

None of us really know what we will do until we are faced with that situation. We know what we think we will do. I sometimes wonder if we have not gone too far in our medical advances and that we should let nature take it's course. I do not know the answer.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:13 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
I do believe that newborns who are born with so many congenital defects that they would not be able to survive on their own without extensive and elaborate life-support measures, and that will go on to live a life of disability and suffering --- they should simply be allowed to die at birth. That is nature's way.

And I'm not talking about premature infants who have to spend a few weeks on a respirator but someone like this child who is going to be sick for the rest of their life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies