Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 10:21 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
We get these kinds of storms two, sometimes three, times per year in the Matanuska-Susitna Valley. Winds in excess of 90 mph, heavy rainfall, falling trees, etc. Only here they call them typhoons instead of hurricanes. The chief difference between Alaska and the east coast is that they do not call for evacuations in Alaska. My home is built to withstand such winds and rain, as are the overwhelming vast majority of homes in Alaska. They do not even call for work to be halted. There have been many times where I have driven 50 mph into Anchorage with 90+ mph winds.

Do the northeastern States have such poor building codes that they cannot find shelter in their own home?
It was the storm surge that did a lot of the damage.... yes winds knocked down trees....and in a heavily populated like NYC and surrounding areas trees when they fall have a higher chance of hitting a house or a car.

Yes you have big storms up in the Anchorage area .... and your area is well prepared as you get them more frequently.... but NYC and Jersey dont get these types of storms as frequent....1960...1938....1821 storms come to mind among a few others.

I live/work in Grand Forks ND/MN region and we know how to handle a 10-15 inch snow and wind and life goes on....but put that same storm in say Orlando FL and you can expect them to have a hard time and travel would come to a standstill. I would not say Orlando should have the resources to handle a storm such as this as it would be a very rare event unlike where I live.

Same thing in regards to earthquakes. If we had a huge earthquake in our area our buildings would crumble....unlike what would happen in say San Francisco where they are used to handle the threat there.

I cannot for the life of me understand why some dont get this was a record breaking storm surge for the Jersey coast into NYC.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:23 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Wait for the climate change spins after people psychologically recover from the media sensationalism
I am a met....and climate change had nothing to do with this storm. Storms of this nature are very very rare but while this did produce record storm surge....this type of storm (meaning a hurricane that turned into a post tropical hybrid type storm) has occurred a few times in the past.

Now one can argue overall are we seeing more and more larger storms on earth?? or not. Hard to tell.....climate goes through natural cycles and variations.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:32 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
We get these kinds of storms two, sometimes three, times per year in the Matanuska-Susitna Valley. Winds in excess of 90 mph, heavy rainfall, falling trees, etc. Only here they call them typhoons instead of hurricanes. The chief difference between Alaska and the east coast is that they do not call for evacuations in Alaska. My home is built to withstand such winds and rain, as are the overwhelming vast majority of homes in Alaska. They do not even call for work to be halted. There have been many times where I have driven 50 mph into Anchorage with 90+ mph winds.

Do the northeastern States have such poor building codes that they cannot find shelter in their own home?
Much of the West Coast gets storms accompanied by high winds of that level. The Oregon Coast got 100 mph winds last winter. However since this isn't common in the Northeast and it's hitting a highly populated area unlike Alaska or the Northwest Coast, the potential for danger is magnified. Unlike the windswept vegetation on the shoreline of the West Coast, trees are more likely to come down in the rare event of a storm like this in the Northeast.

But as other's have pointed out, it's the massive storm surges that are causing the majority of the problems. There's not much you can do about a 14 foot storm surge...

Old 10-30-2012, 10:37 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Since when was it wrong for American media to cover American related deaths that occured here?
I didn't know Jamaica and Cuba were apart of the Usa. I'm sure Cuban and Jamaican news covered the deaths that occured there.
Someone needs more schooling.
No, someone who spouts about all "the human beings" that were killed should look outside their own neighborhood and care about the other "human beings" who were killed. Or do we only care about those in NJ and NY? The rest of the world, who cares? Typical American attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
You are wrong. It was, and is, catastrophic. How dare you try to minimize what these people are going through?
No, I'm not. It is NOT catastrophic. Is it messy? Is it nasty? Is it expensive? Yep. But it is not "catastrophic".

And again, for the fiftieth time, I am mocking the media. For them to go stand in a puddle, as one did on the TWC this morning, when everything around him was merely wet, not standing water, is the height of HYPE. I have no use for talking heads who care only about their ratings.

How dare you not understand that.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:40 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
It sure is catastrophic here in the NJ/NYC area. Don't know why you would think it isn't.

I guess you are in Canada? It must be easy to look at the tv and think it's no big deal when you're not actually living it.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:51 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,428 times
Quote:

I think the "chief difference" between Alaska and the east coast is about 50 million people.
There are three times as many people in one borough of NYC than in the entire state of Alaska. A storm like this affects a lot of people and property all at once.

And building codes are written to be applicable to historically typical climate & geological conditions in a region. And there are many buildings on the East Coast, and in NYC that have been standing for 300+ years. How about Alaska? This is a ridiculous "attack" angle to take. It's really mind boggling how people are going to such great lengths to downplay a tragedy.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:05 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
It was the storm surge that did a lot of the damage.... yes winds knocked down trees....and in a heavily populated like NYC and surrounding areas trees when they fall have a higher chance of hitting a house or a car.

Yes you have big storms up in the Anchorage area .... and your area is well prepared as you get them more frequently.... but NYC and Jersey dont get these types of storms as frequent....1960...1938....1821 storms come to mind among a few others.

I live/work in Grand Forks ND/MN region and we know how to handle a 10-15 inch snow and wind and life goes on....but put that same storm in say Orlando FL and you can expect them to have a hard time and travel would come to a standstill. I would not say Orlando should have the resources to handle a storm such as this as it would be a very rare event unlike where I live.

Same thing in regards to earthquakes. If we had a huge earthquake in our area our buildings would crumble....unlike what would happen in say San Francisco where they are used to handle the threat there.

I cannot for the life of me understand why some dont get this was a record breaking storm surge for the Jersey coast into NYC.
Dan, it is my guess that the Reality-Non-Reality TV minds of America are simply desensitized to death and destruction ... heck, we hear everyday of the military exploits of blowing up countries and massive casualties that result. We have countless disaster movies and series such as this new one "Revolution" that presents this Mad Max scenario ... so I suppose some rather insensitive folks here won't be impressed with anything short of a 200 ft tsunami which might wipe out the entire eastern seaboard from the coast, to 500 miles inland. Even then, I suspect some would simply think it served them right for being so stupid as to live near the coast, and feel no sympathy or compassion.

Hell, look at how many of the drooling masses enthusiastically support a full scale attack on Iran ... many of them embrace the use of nuclear weapons, which would result in Millions of innocent civilian deaths of people living in a land that two thirds of these morons wouldn't be able to locate on a map.

It is well established in Native American lore and legend that there will come a time they describe as the "Great Cleansing". We may be approaching that time now. Hopefully, that time won't be so indiscriminate as to miss the truly deserving ... those that need to be cleansed and those that don't.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:13 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Your brain should have kicked in and rightfully discounted everything after the words "I saw it in on Facebook"...
Sadly, the brain rarely does kick in with the right wing and that's why they believe all those stupid chain e-mails which they just can't stop forwarding to each other. Not to mention all those nutty conspiracy theories like death panels, Obama is a secret illegal alien, Obama is a secret Muslim terrorist sleeper agent, oh, and things like this very thread.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:16 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,528 times

Public Enemy - Don't Believe The Hype - YouTube

Old 10-30-2012, 11:18 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
It must be easy to look at the tv and think it's no big deal when you're not actually living it.
Apparently some people have become so desensitized and jaded, that unless it affects them directly, it is no big deal.

I don't know if these people were born that way or if it comes as a result of the non-stop news we have at our fingertips these days - or a combination of the two - but it is sad.

I think the most recent death toll is 28; I suspect that number may very well rise. Perhaps those who are saying the storm was "no big deal" would like to sit down with the families of those who died and tell them that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies