Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 11:02 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
are the deaths of women who die from self inflicted and back alley abortions justified because of all the babies saved?

how do you intend to know if young girls and women are pregnant? do you test everyone over the age of 12 to 50 every month?

how do you make sure women who don't want to be pregnant, stay pregnant? send them to breeding camps?

do you support more taxes to help take care of the babies being born to poor women who would otherwise abort? or are they on their own?

why is a woman you don't know, will never know reproduction life any of your business?

why should women you don't know live life with your morals and values?

happy you at least tried to answer the question. but you failed to take your position past the point of the standard "no abortion"...what happens if abortion is illegal. my questions illustrate the issues that come up if this was the case.

you can't in america force a woman to give birth against her will and that in a nut shell is what illegal abortion means. forcing a woman to give birth against her will is third world thinking at best. it also rings on nazi germany.
I can answer all of your replys with a few sentences. In life there is a thing called personal resposibility. Its inconvenient, but it exists. Relly? Women and children are dying in thev streets here? Show me some statistics. if abortions are illegal and women still want an abortion it is their choice whether they want to risk a back alley abortion or have the child and put it up for adoption. We don't need to check to make sure they stay pregnant but we don't need to give them access to abortions. That's kinda like telling a teen that he or she shouldn't have sex but giving them a condom.In maryland our tax dollars go to abortions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 12:02 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
People already are not responisble for their actions, that is why there are so many children in adoption centers and in foster care. Who will adopt the added children to the system if abortion was not an option? The same people who gave them up? It is no ones business but the woman who has to carry to term the child, be financially capable of taking care of it, educating it and nurturing it. All options of birth control should be available to women with no barriers. If pro lifers are so concerned about the life of children, they need to do what they can to adopt them, make it easy for them to be adopted, become foster parents or just stop preventing women who want or need an abortion from doing what they feel is right for themselves. Adding more children to the system or forcing women to go through with a pregnancy that is not desired only adds to the burden that is overtaxed as it is.
It has already been proven that when women are provided birth control - free of charge - that the number of abortions goes down significantly.

Of course, the anti-abortion crowd doesn't want that either, even though the cost of providing free birth control would be just a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of providing financial, food, and medical services for children of mothers who are unequipped to care for them.

I support free birth control for EVERY woman who wants it. No income determination, no stipulations whatsoever, no time limitation.

Do that for, say, three or four years and see how many abortions have taken place during that time. I'd bet dollars to donuts that at the end of that three or four years, the majority of the abortions performed during that time period will have been for cases of rape or for medical reasons.

It's a fact of life that there are women who are going to find themselves faced with unplanned pregnancies. And, yes, many times it happens because of poor choices and often times it happens more than once for some women.

PREACHING about it isn't going to stop it and trying to deny women the right to make choices about their own reproductive health isn't going to stop it. You all have tried for many, many lifetimes AND IT HASN'T WORKED!

I am just shocked at how many of those who are anti-abortion are also anti-contraception!

FREE contraception for every woman (and man - free condoms, too!) who wants it! THAT is the way to reduce the number of abortions.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:32 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
In case no one has put them here, these are the ten questions. As a prochoice woman, I will answer them.

Are there any restrictions you would approve of?”
No.

“Does this phenomenon pose a problem for you or do you believe in the absolute right of a woman to terminate a pregnancy because the unborn fetus is female?” (This is in regards to "gendercide")
No.

Do you support any restrictions or parental notification regarding abortion access for minors?”
No, I consider a minor's rights to be equal to that of their parents and I consider a minor's body to belong to the minor, not the parent.

If you do not believe that human life begins at conception, when do you believe it begins? At what stage of development should an unborn child have human rights?”
No, I don't believe human life begins at conception. I believe life begins when the heart begins beating but I do not consider an embryo to be worthy of having human rights until it is born.

How do you answer the charge that this phenomenon resembles the ‘eugenics’ movement a century ago – the slow, but deliberate ‘weeding out’ of those our society would deem ‘unfit’ to live?” (in regards to women committing abortions on fetuses diagnosed with Down's Syndrome)
I do not believe that abortions in response to fetal abnormalities resemble eugenics. I feel that fetal abnormalities, such as moderate to severe mental retardation which can be seen in Down Syndrome and other chromosomal abnormalities, have the potential to severely impact the lives of the parents of such a child if it is born and that the parents have the ultimate decision upon deciding if they want to care for a child with moderate to severe special needs. I feel this should be a family decision and is not something that is the business of society at large. In regards to Eugenics, it is a sytematic approach to "weeding out those our society would deem unfit to live." It must be practiced on a large scale by everyone to be successful. We have many people in our country who chose not to undergo prenatal testing for Down Syndrome specifically and I would like to continue to give individual families the choice of whether or not they want to have a child with special needs.

Do you believe an employer should be forced to violate his or her religious conscience by providing access to abortifacient drugs and contraception to employees?”
Yes. Employers do not own their employees and as such employees should be able to follow their own religious or non-religious leanings toward contraception.

How do you respond to the charge that the majority of abortion clinics are found in inner-city areas with large numbers of minorities
I don't see it as a problem. I also am a black American woman and have never been persuaded to use an abortion clinic and have never known of one in my neighborhood even though I have always usually lived in inner city urban areas. Minorities, other than Asian Americans have higher birthrates than white Americans even with "the majority of abortion clinics" being in inner city areas. So evidently, they aren't killing all black and hispanic Americans in this country.

If abortion is not morally objectionable, then why is it tragic? Does this mean there is something about abortion that is different than other standard surgical procedures?” (in regards to abortion being a "tragic choice")
It is only tragic when a woman does not have access to contraception in the first place as contraception can prevent unwanted pregnancies. Personally, I do not see it as tragic at all unless the woman does not want to have the abortion.

Do you believe abortion should be legal once the unborn fetus is viable – able to survive outside the womb
Yes, as many famiiles do not find out until the 2nd trimester that a fetus has severe defects and they may want to terminate the pregnancy. Most 2nd and 3rd trimester terminations are in response to detected defects of the fetus.

If a pregnant woman and her unborn child are murdered, do you believe the criminal should face two counts of murder and serve a harsher sentence?”
No, if a woman is murdered while pregnant and her accuser is sentence he/she more than likely will already face a harsh sentence so there is no need to have an even "harsher" sentence.

All my responses to the questions in the article are in bold. Also wanted to note I have seen these same questions come up in amy media outlets so these questions have been asked before of politicians.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:05 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
I can answer all of your replys with a few sentences. In life there is a thing called personal resposibility. Its inconvenient, but it exists. Relly? Women and children are dying in thev streets here? Show me some statistics. if abortions are illegal and women still want an abortion it is their choice whether they want to risk a back alley abortion or have the child and put it up for adoption. We don't need to check to make sure they stay pregnant but we don't need to give them access to abortions. That's kinda like telling a teen that he or she shouldn't have sex but giving them a condom.In maryland our tax dollars go to abortions.
So, if I gave YOU, personwhoisaperson, a box of condoms, you would run right out and have sex....... just because? Really?

Are you saying that today's teens are that simple minded?

Old 11-01-2012, 06:10 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Really? Can you supply proof of that?
sounds like a reference to 0bama, and his let 'em die legislation for late term babies who were born alive in a botched abortion, and were left to die.

BTW, do you have a "line in the sand" where you think abortions should not allowed, or are you a part of the "let 'em die" crowd too?

Old 11-01-2012, 06:46 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
In other words, people shouldn't be responsible for their own actions? And pro-lifers should be responsible not only for themselves, but for everyone else as well? Now that's hypocritical!

But you'd fight for the life of a convicted murderer, right?
But that's the thing - pro-lifers want to be the ones who make decisions for EVERYONE - not just themselves - when it comes to abortion.

From what I can see of their positon - the sanctity of life ends right around the time the baby is born. After that - they don't give a damn - especially if they think they might have to contribute toward it's care.

Hugely hypocritical.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:51 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:

Your tax dollars also go to welfare and prison where many of the unwanted forced babies end up.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:55 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
abortion is taking personal responsibility. yes, women did die when abortion was illegal from self inflicted and back alley abortions. it happened in my own family. like rape it is almost impossible to get real numbers on how many as it goes unreported as an illegal abortion. it was listed as suicide or other means of death. you have no understanding if you think seeking a back alley abortion is a matter of "choice" you have no empathy when you don't care that women get that desperate. not having access to abortion didn't stop it before roe v wade it won't stop it now. a teen with condoms doesn't mean they will have sex. have you so little self control that a possession of a condom could make you give up your virginity???

Old 11-01-2012, 06:58 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
One of the probelms that I have with abortion restrictions is that it only affects the poor. The wealthy have "mistakes" just like everyone else but they have the means to fly their daughters to places where abortions are legal and safe. The other probelm that I have is that the very same people that want to force a woman to carry an unwanted child are the first to complain they those children are a burden to society and are draining the welfare roles. After many of them go through the horror which is the system they end up in prison for killing someone without remorse and NOW you want to give them the death penalty! Why not do it in the begining and save some innocent lives in the process?

Old 11-01-2012, 06:58 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
sounds like a reference to 0bama, and his let 'em die legislation for late term babies who were born alive in a botched abortion, and were left to die.

BTW, do you have a "line in the sand" where you think abortions should not allowed, or are you a part of the "let 'em die" crowd too?
you need to get educated about late term abortion. you have any credible links of botched late term abortions? the line in the sand has been drawn. the rules and regs we have now cover the issue well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies