Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 06:06 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,838 times

Advertisements

While unemployment is high, and low and middle class folks are on the ropes, CEO pay and corporate profits are at historical highs, Wall Street is booming. That happens when businesses find themselves in an environment where they can hire over-qualified workers for lower-then-standard pay and work them more hours (how many salaried workers do you know who work 40 hour weeks? I averaged over 50).

It is 1 of the reasons I left my corporate job to start my own business almost 3 years ago.

Now, that doesn't mean there aren't lazy folks out their content with their unemployment benefits and happy to milk the system. That is certainly happening. But there are a lot of very qualified, eager, hard working folks out there who can't find jobs or are underemployed.

Last edited by Sporin; 10-30-2012 at 07:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 06:18 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The answer is yes. Hunger makes people change their behavior. Humans have a very strong survival instinct. We should end ALL government welfare.
In the same light though that could lead to serious social implications. A lot of the poor are armed in this country and you better expect full blown riots and mass looting if your going to cut off the food supply.

I say this from experience.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
What exactly is the purpose of a drug test? The person who smoked dope the night before is just as competent as the person who got drunk. Job performance should be the bottom line,not what the employee does on his/her own time.
Agreed. I smoke marijuana and so do over half of my employees. They're all great workers.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:24 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Presumably they all had cars. How do you work third (or second) shift if you don't have a car?
They all had cars.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:09 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Thank you for the most intelligent post of the day, maybe even of the month!

Most employers have 0 tolerance for drug useage. Some companies/corporations also have 0 tolerance for cigarette smoking too.
I realize that but it`s stupid.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:16 AM

Our past 3 presidents have all been drug users.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:20 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
My problem with some charities,esp religious based ones,is that they want you to pray with them.
One church I went to get food from long ago(11 years ago) wanted us to sit for church services.

THAT is wrong. What if I was a different religion,and couldn't sit for the service?
Just go to the non-denominational charities, foodbanks etc. It's largely staffed by the same religious people, they just aren't allowed to prosletyze and it's typically in a neutral setting.

I hear what you are saying but from what I've seen it's more the exception than the norm.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:47 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
Quote:
My problem with some charities,esp religious based ones,is that they want you to pray with them.
One church I went to get food from long ago(11 years ago) wanted us to sit for church services.

THAT is wrong. What if I was a different religion,and couldn't sit for the service?
Operative word here: wanted. Did they force you to attend a service, perhaps endure hearing something you didn't want to hear?

Oh the horror.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:50 AM

734 posts, read 932,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
understand that churches are all about charity, that is a big part of their mission.

as to going to a mosque to get food handouts, unless you are invited in(assuming you are not muslim) by the cleric running the mosque, you are violating the sanctity of the mosque and thus are violating islamic law. while churches and synagogs are generally open to the public, mosques are not.
This is 100% untrue. Anyone can enter a Mosque, however, you have to observe Islamic practices (i.e. take off your shoes, and women must cover their heads). Typically, most large Mosques have head scarves in the entry area, for women who do not normally cover their heads.

Also, when in a Mosque, one must be willing to observe the separate prayer spaces for men and women.

Clerics do not run Mosques. Mosques are typically run by the people who use the Mosque for prayer services, just as Churches...

Old 10-30-2012, 07:57 AM

734 posts, read 932,896 times
Quote:

If you are asking for charity from a Church, I don't see a problem with the Church asking you to pray w/ them. I'm sure those prayers were for your own benefit.

Since you are uninterested in praying, you should not seek out charity from religious organizations. Why didn't you go to a food pantry? Let me guess, it was easier for you to go to the local Church, because they didn't require that you submit your income information etc. I can't believe the level of ingratitude w/ some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies