Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 11:59 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
OK, how are we supposed to fix the subway system ourselves?
You won't fix the subway yourselves. The We the People will fix it with you.

If it is anything like what i think the wiring and switches will be junk.. All cars trucks, trains and anything with motors and engines that were in salt water will all be junk.

Fit for only being torn apart to be cleaned up and recycled.

The blizzard of 78 was that way. It was illegal to sell any cars or trucks that were in salt water. At the time i had family in Rockport Ma, and rescued my aunts cats after getting my uncles car down off some big rocks and a lobster pot in the garage. His car was a M benze diesel and after pushing out rubber drain plugs in the car interior that car ran just fine, but it was totaled by the ins co, and rightly so, melted for scrap too.

ALL the switches and ALL the buss bars in the NYC transit system that were in salt water will be trash, and it ALL will need to be rebuilt or replaced.

Back in that blizzard i didn't see my car for 3 months it was just buried under tons of snow. There were ledges above the car which acted like a snow fence.
To get from Manchester by the Sea to the north facing area in Rockport I had to 'go hookin'' plow trucks

That deal is grab a passing state plow truck by hand and slid on your feet hoping the driver and crew don't see you because if they do they turn on the sander. I also took x-c skis.

I made it both ways with a cat on the return trip, but the cat was stuffed into a pillow case to get it done.... My aunts house was trashed and rebuilt too. There were large rocks in her living room which was modern and truly sunken for the first time.

The harder parts will be getting salt water out of ferrous metals inside concrete. I am not sure how thatb will be done, but it must be done.

I have done some work like that .maybe...... where air pressure solvents were sent in drilled holes and epoxie was sent in after as a sealer.

Usually things like this end up big money for local business. With Obama at the helm I don't know what will happen. But i know if big govt gets in the mix of doing this fix will take decades longer than it needs to take to get this fixed.

When the cali quakes took down the infrastructure, the govt was quick to stand down and let private industry get that state back on line. The same thing needs to take place this time.

The Feds are good if you want a FUBAR.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:17 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post

East Village this morning;
Cedar Rapids IA 2008...........

Old 10-30-2012, 12:20 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
You won't fix the subway yourselves. The We the People will fix it with you.

If it is anything like what i think the wiring and switches will be junk.. All cars trucks, trains and anything with motors and engines that were in salt water will all be junk.

Fit for only being torn apart to be cleaned up and recycled.

The blizzard of 78 was that way. It was illegal to sell any cars or trucks that were in salt water. At the time i had family in Rockport Ma, and rescued my aunts cats after getting my uncles car down off some big rocks and a lobster pot in the garage. His car was a M benze diesel and after pushing out rubber drain plugs in the car interior that car ran just fine, but it was totaled by the ins co, and rightly so, melted for scrap too.

ALL the switches and ALL the buss bars in the NYC transit system that were in salt water will be trash, and it ALL will need to be rebuilt or replaced.

Back in that blizzard i didn't see my car for 3 months it was just buried under tons of snow. There were ledges above the car which acted like a snow fence.
To get from Manchester by the Sea to the north facing area in Rockport I had to 'go hookin'' plow trucks

That deal is grab a passing state plow truck by hand and slid on your feet hoping the driver and crew don't see you because if they do they turn on the sander. I also took x-c skis.

I made it both ways with a cat on the return trip, but the cat was stuffed into a pillow case to get it done.... My aunts house was trashed and rebuilt too. There were large rocks in her living room which was modern and truly sunken for the first time.

The harder parts will be getting salt water out of ferrous metals inside concrete. I am not sure how thatb will be done, but it must be done.

I have done some work like that .maybe...... where air pressure solvents were sent in drilled holes and epoxie was sent in after as a sealer.

Usually things like this end up big money for local business. With Obama at the helm I don't know what will happen. But i know if big govt gets in the mix of doing this fix will take decades longer than it needs to take to get this fixed.

When the cali quakes took down the infrastructure, the govt was quick to stand down and let private industry get that state back on line. The same thing needs to take place this time.

The Feds are good if you want a FUBAR.
No doubt a good portion of what you say is true. However, NYC is by the ocean, with salt air a common concern. I would hope most "infrastructure" would be hardened against it. As far as rebar in concrete...I suspect the NYC streets department does the same as other street departments do in the NE...dump MANY MANY tons of salt on the road every winter as a deicer. I doubt that it will be a significant impact. I would also hope that the managers of the subway system were bright enough to have rolling stock moved to high ground before the storm.

Good luck to you guys/gals.

Funny that you mentioned the Blizzard of '78, I lived through the Blizzard of '77 in Buffalo...though I can't say that I tried "hookey bobbin'".

Old 10-30-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I love the hypocrisy in play on this thread.

Where's the outcry on the thread that leaped right out of bed to start politicizing this?

Oh wait...it's ok because they're libs.
We got a reporter standing in a puddle now talking about sledgehammers taking out homes. The MSM may commandeer a dozer and starting taking homes down on their own to make it look "good" for the ratings. They are shocked that trees are down and windows blown out. I mean this is NY by golly.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:24 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
I never figured a storm would be such a divisive political issue. It is rather saddening we can't agree to just help our fellow Americans. Some people on this board are disgusting in their hatred for those with a different mindset than them. Shame.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:30 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Cedar Rapids IA 2008...........
population of Cedar Rapids, IA: 126,326

population of just the Lower East Side neighborhood of Manhattan: 201,464
population of New York City: 8,244,910
population of Greater NYC area: 22,085,649

the point: it's impacting a LOT more people. and I guess that makes it notable in the eyes of many.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:37 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I would also hope that the managers of the subway system were bright enough to have rolling stock moved to high ground before the storm.

Good luck to you guys/gals.
I did hear this morning that they inspected the rolling stock, and it was all saved from damage, so the issues with the subway are confined to the tunnels (+pumps, electrical, ventilation etc systems) themselves.
Also, the MTA is restarting bus network service today for free, with extra buses running in place of the subway lines, so that people will be able to get around. I've been pretty impressed with the job they've done with this so far, but we'll have to see how it plays out over the next week.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:46 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Looks like Atlantic City is a mess: Atlantic City Flooding Photos Reveal Hurricane Sandy Damage

No subway/power in NYC is an inconvenience, but what AC looks like is pretty devestating.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:52 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
And all of the disaster recovery folks I know, that I've worked with in disasters, haven't been called. They always get called before. Hell they were called before Irene.

Its not that bad.
Federal Government Awards Flood Aid To 2 More Tennessee Counties - 05/05/2010 - Chattanoogan.com

Seems that Tennessee isn't above taking government disaster relief money when they needed it, especially when the circumstances were "not that bad". How about those droughts?

Old 10-30-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
population of Cedar Rapids, IA: 126,326

population of just the Lower East Side neighborhood of Manhattan: 201,464
population of New York City: 8,244,910
population of Greater NYC area: 22,085,649

the point: it's impacting a LOT more people. and I guess that makes it notable in the eyes of many.
You are correct. Nobody cares about folks in some podunk little town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies